Thread: cant boot from windows xp disk

Xtreme Member

cant boot from windows xp disk

in the bios, it set to boot from the cd first, yet it does not even ask me "press any key to boot from cd". I press f8 before the boot and select cd and it does nothing too. Any idea why it does not even see this disk? The back of the disk looks fine too... no scratches.

Mind you, i have windows 7 UPGRADE installed, but the cd key wont work cause its an upgrade so i shut off the computer. Upon trying to clear the hdd just to install xp (boot from xp disk) the screen comes up from windows 7 asking me which method I would like to boot (safe mode, normally, etc).

I read this may be because windows 7 installs the boot.ini on the hdd that has priority over the BIOS boot sector?
    Last edited by enz660; 12-30-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - P5W DH Deluxe Cooling Mod
    - 2048mb Patiot PC2 5300 @ 890mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.15v (MAX 1053mhz 2.35v)
    - Nvidia 8800gt
    - Silverstone ST75F 750watt
    - Modded Asus Vento (Black) *Heavy Case Modding In Progress*

Try this... Pull the Hdd, hook it to another machine as a slave or secondary hdd delete all the partitions on the disc, 0-write (zero-fill) the disc(including the MBR), then reformat. If you dont have any 0-write software you can get it at comodo...its freeware...the comodo system cleaner tool. Under the wiper section is the 0-write options.be careful that your wiping the disc you want to wipe. Then put it back in the machine and give it a go with the XP disc