Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy bridge OC Guide

Hardware Nightmare
    Lots of talks there, lets better bench and make scores, rather than talks This will render all happy in their ways.

P.S. comparing "analogue" vs "digital" VRM's is nothing but talks because Intersil, CHIL and Volterra and Richtek and all other syncronous buck SMPS are MIXED-SIGNAL curcuits. They are both worlds. Just one solution differ from another, like Ford card from BMW or from Mercedes. Practice will show us what is best for racing, and what is best for riding city.
    Last edited by TiN_; 01-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    Here is my chime...

This post and others like it for ASRock, MSI, and Gigabyte for new products are basically advertorials. Basically some marketing points that have been delivered by the various manufacturers and some personal experience by the user or users. I have no problems with it and everyone does it. Am I happy about it, not really as I think there is a different way to deliver the message.

The difference with the OP in the UD7 preview/review thread is that he presented marketing statements and/or false assumptions about features on our new boards without actually testing either our board or Gigabyte's board to confirm or deny those statements. As such, it is no longer an advertorial or preview but is considered to be a review. One that is fraught with inaccuracies that were pointed out by Peter and were discussed with the OP. However, he continued to push these false assumptions and so we will respond to them.

I have no issue if the "problems" he described about our new P67 boards were true, we are not perfect, nobody is, but I do have a problem when those statements/assumptions are outright false and the testing methodology is based on reading datasheets or reposting marketing slides. He made assumptions from documents and marketing slides without any scientific testing of the boards to confirm his (gigabyte's marketing message) statements. That is my problem and when it comes down to it, it should be yours also.

Honestly, if he had left ASUS out of this directly or changed his assumptions about our PWM/EFI setup based on sound test methodologies then there would not have been a response even though his assumptions about the capabilities of the Gigabyte PWM are also false in several areas. That eventually would have been brought to light by a reputable website or power user so no response from our end was even required.

I expect some negatives to be mentioned by reputable websites or power users about our boards. As I stated we are not perfect and will address those issues but at least we admit it. In fact we gave a wide variety of press members and enthusiasts the ability to test and comment on our products early on without strings attached. We had a lot of very positive comments and we had comments on areas of improvement that will be addressed in the next product cycle. At least we are open about our intentions and responses, no hidden agendas here unlike others.
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    bingo13 glad you brough it into your own thread. Gary you never will back off, you tried to PM me my inbox was full i emptied it. I am asking your guy here questions becuase his write up is a ASUS marketing ploy, hey here is a Sandy Bridge OC guide that actually is an ASUS motherboard OC guide/review. Its ok because I have a real OC guide I made myself after a few weeks of testing and more than one chip. It has nothing to do with Gigabyte though. This guy restated ASUS marketing, do you know what I did? i wrote my article then saw the Gigabyte media kit and used them to back me up. Actually no one had anything good to say about what I said, no one said it was wrong either. Here is what happened.

Shamino asked questions I responded, he didn't like when I put down Volterra, becuase he pushed for it in the Classy. But now he works for ASUS so you tried to get him to make me look bad.

Next bingo13 you tried to make me look bad then you made threats, then you made more threats, how do you know I didn't take the board to a university I work at and have it tested? you really have no idea who i am man. But you are right I don't have your board, but I don't think it mattetrs unless Chil totally did a 180 and change digital PWM design. Chil better than Volterra, seems that isn't true, as far as most of the community is concerned, but you are saying transisent responce is better. Well this article says different: http://www.theoverclocker.com/backis...r-Issue-09.pdf

Then a last guy came into the thread and said the way i cam e to my conclusion was wrong, but that either way could be right, and that digital pwm transient responce might be faster by now, which is a real way to say hey there is nothing wrong but it might be different now even though its not i just had to say somthing to make you look bad.

Now you hate that article saying it was written by someone that works at interstill, you , ASUS marketing Manger, were corrected by a very nice member that he was an intern at the time.

Next we move on to does it matter? Hey if transient responce was that important, how come these boards aren't VRD 12 Certified? I see it no where in your marketing, but surly if Gigabyte has it written everywhere you would think it woudl be there for you guys.

Back on topic, "OC Guide" is short of true. you don't need to turn on C1E and EIST, you don't need to lower any of the other voltage, you don't call any OC Turbo short of confusing people. Next lets get to this, a boot into windows is NOT stable don't go raising multiplier. Any overclocker knows you have to test the stability, as yes this chip boots into windows it can run benchmarks, BUT try running Prime 95 or even better intel burn Test to test for stability.

One of three things will happen:
    #1 processor will do the Stability test and pass
    #2 processor is not do it and give you a blue screen before it is finished
    #3 Processor will over heat becuase of its ability to exceed TDP and thus thermal throttle.

Most of these benchmarkers might wanna rerun their benchmarks, as I have a few aircoolers here and some just cannot handle the heat of these processors at load.

just somthing that really bothered me.

Also not every boot into windows is stable, most are 1/2 stable, aka able to run benchmark, but may throttle, or crash.

Can you explain to us why you want to keep on C1E and EIST?

Can you explain to us the question I had about the volterra data sheet?

Now back to my question about you guys taking 8x of lanes and making it x32, isn't this where the NF200 got its bad rep for increasing latency? Also does those switches increase latency?
    I guess we gotta wait for a site to bench it against each other. Pity I also have my SLI setup on normal NF200 setup, I am just going to compare it against X58 SLI, if it loses then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    You know what, this retarded 'end-user' forum marketing. A while back I promised myself not to post on this forum anymore, or at least not to get involved in absolute useless debates.

I'll get back to the real OC forums like benchtec, OCA, classicplatforms and ocxtreme to discuss with real hw fanatics. So:

@ S.Bassiri: Nice thread, nice info.

@ SXS112: Nice thread, nice info.
    Agendas..Will they never end?
    sin0833:
    Suggestion? Ignore anything that doesn't effect you..
    See the politics behind some of these posts and just smile.
    Bingo13:
    Smarter to just make your own thread as lets be honest here,people know you work for Asus and see the posts as marketing and attacking a competitor.
    Massman:
    Nah, I won't say it!

Bottom line guys is right now you have a choice of the Asus board, the Gigabyte, the MSI or the Intel.
    Reality is from what I've seen is that the Intel will clock the highest using the multi, the Asus will clock the highest using the BCLK( app108-110 max) the Gigabyte seems to be very good but just a tiny bit behind the Asus and the MSI I haven't seen a thing on yet so I can't comment there.
    Now thats my honest opinion from what I've seen and read and I don't have any agenda at all except to find what is the best.
    What would I buy myself if I was buying today?
    It's a tossup between the GB UD5 and the Asus board but again, I haven't seen the MSI board so they might have a winner also.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Hardware Nightmare
    Movieman

There are more board for SB to fire up. EVGA (both classy and non), Asrock, Foxconn etc...
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TiN_EOF View Post
    Movieman

There are more board for SB to fire up. EVGA (both classy and non), Asrock, Foxconn etc...
    EVGA isn't ready yet and my personal opinion is I don't include the names Asrock and Foxconn when I think of "good" boards"
    Let me clarify that last line.
    I've used Asrock boards in surveylance systems I've built and they've held up well but I just don't think of them as top boards with all the bios features we'd find in the GB,Asus,MSI,etc..
    Foxconn I've never used but have the same feeling on.
    Last edited by Movieman; 01-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    dude i couldnt agree more with this. the rest about the other forums i dont agree with, but i do agree that these tactics are bull. this is marketing BS at its very finest.
    I'm sorry.

Of course there are more than just a few true hw enthusiasts on this forum but i'm just more and more getting fed up with so-called 'nice' vendors using forums like this to spread marketing and pretend it's true end-user reports.

I've seen what the xs hwbot team is capable of, no doubt the people on that team are true hw people! :-D
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    ^^
    To me the key is for all to come and show their products BUT not to attack the competition.
    Just like we see negative campaigns run in politics that turns one's stomach.
    Here companies should come, make a thread, show the products and let the end user decide.
    BUT when they go into a competitor's thread and dump on his product they lose credibility in my eyes.
    Positive not negative marketing is the way to go.

I am Xtreme
    Now we know why the Intel boards are OCing higher, I was told by someone with the board what the setting is that these other boards do not have. ASUS and GIGABYTE have been contacted by the person withthe Intel board and High OCes, and lucky for him he has no NDA. But he contacted both and told them what the setting is, so hopefully these Multiplier and Chip lock problem will be elivitated. BTW Gigabyte boards can do over 100blck very easily. Even on the Intel boards they take BLCk down for those high OCes with multi.

I think Intel has done this to sell their own boards beyond all, but this is not fair, as it creates and OC monopoly, I think it hurts free trade LOL but that is just me.

i will sit back and laugh mreo though movieman lol thanks for the suggestion.

On the one with the cars, i like my mercedes it rides nice in the city other than it eats gas, but so does ford, i owned a ford a few years back. I really like cadillac though nice ride.
    Last edited by sin0822; 01-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.

I am Xtreme
    If the bios engineers can implement the particular setting, then all boards are good to go (I hope :p)

Testing these boards will be a painfull job... not much seperates them for a daily user/clocker/gamer...

You can't leave me here all alone Massman , here in Moviemans laier...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 01-02-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    If the bios engineers can implement the particular setting, then all boards are good to go (I hope :p)

Testing these boards will be a painfull job... not much seperates them for a daily user/clocker/gamer...

You can't leave me here all alone Massman , here in Moviemans layer...
    That's Lair..
    Agreed, if all implement that setting then all should be pretty equal.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Testing these boards will be a painfull job...
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Now we know why the Intel boards are OCing higher, I was told by someone with the board what the setting is that these other boards do not have. ASUS and GIGABYTE have been contacted by the person withthe Intel board and High OCes, and lucky for him he has no NDA. But he contacted both and told them what the setting is, so hopefully these Multiplier and Chip lock problem will be elivitated. BTW Gigabyte boards can do over 100blck very easily. Even on the Intel boards they take BLCk down for those high OCes with multi.
    I talked to Intel and they gave me something like:
    there is not any security preventing a higher overclock. However, there is a new setting in bios 1780 and newer that may help get a bit higher. Set the internal PLL voltage override to enable.
    Is that the "feature", that the Intel boards have, but others don't? At least the UD7 and P8P67 Deluxe don't have something like this, even with their latest BIOS.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Agreed, if all implement that setting then all should be pretty equal.
    Should be a question of time, really... Otherwise Intel would piss off too many partners, and this is not reasonable.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, but it sucks short before release... all reviews are written and now it looks like the intel is the best OC board only because they don´t share the info / setting the partners.

@ _mat_

yes its the "Internal PLL voltage override"

Xtreme Addict
    Do you guys expect decent overclocking performance from mid-range motherboards? Do we really need 24 phase power?

Im looking at getting a P8P67 pro, will this do the job with a water cooled 2600K? Would a UD4 offer anything better?

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri$ch View Post
    yeah, but it sucks short before release... all reviews are written and now it looks like the intel is the best OC board only because they don´t share the info / setting the partners.

@ _mat_

yes its the "Internal PLL voltage override"
    Yea man Thanks for all your help! i am sure the companies GB and ASUS are greatful! Thanks for helping out the community, I think all boards even the value boards shoudl have this, idk why Intel didn't tell em. hopfully it can be implemented with a simple BIOS flash.

Too bad its not as easy as puching the CPU PLL voltage, even so changing a setting to enabled is easier! lol

-Aussie- nah you don't need all those phases to power any CPU just more phases helps output very clean voltage. I think after looking at my own power coonsumption numbers only 4-8 phases are needed to power these CPUs, but for OCing it seems the more is ussually better, but you have to look at quality, if the boards price scales then there is somthing good, like Gigabyte and Asus boards even MSi in many cases.

What really scares me is all the reform in China over labor laws, I read that its going to push production cost high and that all manufacturers are hit, we will be seeing a 10% increase across the board it seems. Not that reform is bad, people need to live well too.
    Last edited by sin0822; 01-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Yea man Thanks for all your help! i am sure the companies GB and ASUS are greatful! Thanks for helping out the community, I think all boards even the value boards shoudl have this, idk why Intel didn't tell em. hopfully it can be implemented with a simple BIOS flash..
    Not nice Intel, but the other manufacturers will pick this up very quickly.

Too bad its not as easy as puching the CPU PLL voltage, even so changing a setting to enabled is easier! lol.
    So true

-Aussie- nah you don't need all those phases to power any CPU just more phases helps output very clean voltage. I think after looking at my own power coonsumption numbers only 4-8 phases are needed to power these CPUs, but for OCing it seems the more is ussually better, but you have to look at quality, if the boards price scales then there is somthing good, like Gigabyte and Asus boards even MSi in many cases..
    The other thing that makes prices scale is all the extra pcies and Im not really worried about that atm, so for me its UD4 or 5 but UD5 has big jump in price due to 3x pcie and Im not sure what the Evo offers over the pro, but the deluxe and higher are 50%+ more cost than a pro so the pro looks like the best value atm.

What really scares me is all the reform in China over labor laws, I read that its going to push production cost high and that all manufacturers are hit, we will be seeing a 10% increase across the board it seems. Not that reform is bad, people need to live well too.
    The world has been taking advantage of cheaper labour overseas for a long time at the cost of local jobs, its about time these workers reaped some benefits for their work too.

Do we have a confirmed release date for the K series? I read it may be 1.5 weeks after the others, is this true?

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dont worry. The moment the companies see that there are cheaper places to go they will move their fabs and thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice guide! Although to me Sandy-Bridge clocking seems kinda... dull? Also if it's true that it doesn't scale with cold. Not saying it's bad but this combined with somewhat limited BCLK adjustments doesn't seem to make this a fun overclocking/tweaking platform unless I missed something?
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    Do we have a confirmed release date for the K series? I read it may be 1.5 weeks after the others, is this true?
    I think that s1155 and Sandy-Bridge is to be released during CES which is just in a few days(?) or am I mixing it up with AMD Brazos?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    I think that s1155 and Sandy-Bridge is to be released during CES which is just in a few days(?) or am I mixing it up with AMD Brazos?
    The NDA for press was lifted 3 hours ago. But processors are still not allowed to be sold until 9th of january. The Dualcores and some mobiles have to wait until 20th of February.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by _mat_ View Post
    The NDA for press was lifted 3 hours ago. But processors are still not allowed to be sold until 9th of january. The Dualcores and some mobiles have to wait until 20th of February.

Really? The NDA for selling the chips is later than the press NDA
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Guru
    using H-Series intel mobo..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Banned
    Es :d

I am Xtreme
    Max Ram divider Johnny87 ? 1333 or does it boot higher ?
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Guru
    Max Ram divider Johnny87 ? 1333 or does it boot higher ?
    Not exactly sure tbh mate, It was anands OC.. using a intel based board..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme X.I.P
    I used Intel P67 ... with retail 2600K

Max Cpuz validation on air

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1570133

and 1M sub 7s

***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast