Thread: Sticky change up and round up!

-150c Club Member

Sticky change up and round up!

I brought up the idea to Gray Mole (the man with the plan!) of redoing some guides. Alot is now out of date, doesn't exist, is failed to find, or old links are just broken.
    This place needs an overhaul!

So, beginning of April I'm back in my shop and planning to do some serious video guides. All the basics. All the not so basics. Even the oh-my-god-what-is-he-doing's!
    What do we need?

We compiled a little list so far.

Brazing
    Tools
    Evac
    Pressure test
    What parts do
    System overview
    Refrigerants
    Charging
    Tuning
    Capillary tubes (definitly needs an entire video!)
    Where to buy, how to buy, what to get, etc
    Conceptual discussion
    Evaporator stuffs (brazing, cleaning, lapping, using, making, designing, etc)

That's just off the top of my head, so help add to the list everyone. What do we need? It's time this section has one or two master stickys instead of 7+ don't you think?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    Yup. Should have my head examined but I'm in

I'm in the middle of too much stuff to start now, but a week or so and I'll feel a bit more settled to doing this.

I thought about doing some of the building (since I'm making a couple for people) and doing the vid's on some of them but I think a lot of it is really better to just have throwaway stuff so I can show 'rightway/wrongway' stuff, and not care if it's going to be wasted or not.

Worst part (other than being fugly) is the clean workspace/pro looking vids etc. If it's for XS then it should look the part I think.

So I'll start something in the next week. I've been finishing up stuff, starting other stuff, putting a new evap into place, etc. Too much going on

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sounds good to me!

when i was researching myself i found alot of things had changed. better methods have been found these days. you guys have it nailed so it would be good to see some new stuff.

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 @ 4800Mhz
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P < Died
    GFX: Asus ATI HD6970
    Ram: OCZ 2x8gb corsair vengeance 1600
    PSU: Corsair HX650w
    HDD Crucial M4 SSD 128gb, 1tb spinpoin and WD green 1TB

I am Xtreme
    Great idea Noob, Also might want to add a video in there on building a load tester. I look forward to all these new guides!!
    Thermaltake Xaser VI Case
    ASUS P7P55 Motherboard
    Intel i7 870
    AMD 4870X2
    8 gigs of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3
    CoolIt Boreas 12 TEC CPU cooler
    Coolermaster UCP-1100W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by {GOD}Raptor22
    I find it exceedingly humorous how you sit here and continue to play keyboard warrior even though you know you are wrong.

-150c Club Member
    Load tester!
    Good one! Will put that on the list. Explain it, show how to make one maybe.

Xtreme Addict
    Well I made up a really nice load tester and still have pics of the old one (and I need to rebuild it anyways ) so that could be an easy one to do.

I hope you're willing to edit the raw footage too! I'm just as bad at video editing as I am with pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Great idea noob. When i built my first SS a couple of years ago, most of the guides and links here were of no use at all.
    Luckily, there were peeps here in the UK that i could talk on the phone with and they helped me through it.

Of all the things that might be of very good use for a video tutorial might be building a recovery unit from scratch ?
    It's something i don't need now (got a pre-built), but it is something that all of us have to have at some point.
    DFI LP UT P35-T2R/E8600 @ 5.1ghz/Modded Mach2 GT
    EVGA Classified/i975 @ 5.04ghz/Custom built SS
    3x2gig G-Skill Perfect Storm
    Asus 5970
    2x150gig Velociraptors/250gig Caviar
    PCP&P Turbocool 1KW

Xtreme Member
    Given the nature of this community, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often!
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

-150c Club Member
    I can edit footage or we can find someone here on XS who is good at things like that! Community project!

Recovery from scratch is a good idea, I've got one built, but plan on ugprading it very soon to accommodate a plate HX for separation of gases when recovering from a autocascade.

Xtreme Addict
    So I've been in a position where I have to move for a while now, been holding off until I could find something ideal.

I found one, and I'm hoping to get it. Won't know for a bit (wish he'd just have said yes, but in this day and age, there's loads of renters so you have to be patient and hopeful.

If I do, the video guides (at least any that I might make) will wait for that.

Basically, this new place (if I get it) is a small studio with a large workshop. Ideal for a mad scientist. 220v power and everything.

500sq of workshop area. Not huge but bigger than I have now. So if that's happening I can set up a much better area for the work, making vid's, and if I can manage maybe even get back into some benching again.

One of the reasons I gave it up (other than killing 2-3k worth of stuff in a very short time) was the lack of space. Phase building OR benching space, not both.

If this works, I'll have enough for it all. At least I'd have a nicer area for it. Space's so small right now, it's always a mess

So I hope so anyways. Get some lighting and some sucker to hold a camera (likely my brother) and try to do what I can to help. Much as the phase forum's quieter and seems (at times) like it's lost it's way, XS still deserves the best. So a video guide series really is a good idea.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Great idea
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF