Thread: Problems with CCC

Xtreme Member

Problems with CCC

Hey guys,

Went out and got 2x 6950 for some CF action and have been waiting hours trying to get CCC up and working to fix black bars on my HDMI connected 1080p TV.

First, uninstall nvidia driver. Reboot to safe mod, run drivercleaner and ccclearer. Shutdown, remove Geforce card.

Install both 6950 into the system. Connected the CF cable (1x) and booted into windows, then tried to install the 10.12 RC3 drivers. It installs, reboot but when I tried to load CCC, it loads but the only option I get on the drop down was Hydravision, desktop settings but no games or ability to select overscan.

Remove drivers, reboot, ccleaner, drivercleaner, download and install the 10.12 WHQL drivers. CCC does not work. Just blinks and nothing happens.

Tried to run CCC as administrator. Nothing.
    Uninstall CCC, reinstall CCC from seperate package download. Nothing
    Download and install ATI Tray Tools. Crashes with BSOD. Reboot to safemode, uninstall ATI TC, reboot.

So now I'm in the desktop, windows aero is working but I cannot adjust my settings or set CF on / off!

Download RadeonPro tools, install and can set global game settings AA, AF, etc... but cannot set CFX on/off or adjust the overscan to get rid of the black borders.

Getting frustrating after dropping 500 USD but spent a few hours just setting up drivers!!!!! Nvidia is way easier to handle!!!

Windows 7 Pro x64, Asus P7P55D-Deluxe MB, i5-760 @ 4.2 GHZ, 8 GB ram, 6950 2GB CF, 1080p FullHD TV via HDMI.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    All that ccleaner, driver sweeper safe mode stuff is unnecessary for AMD and may be part of the problem.
    In Crossfire the display cable should be connected to the card closest to the CPU.
    AMD drivers CCC requires MS .net Framework to work.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...TIProduct.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...7.aspx#header2
    Last edited by PaganII; 12-28-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add link

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neova View Post
    Hey guys,

Went out and got 2x 6950 for some CF action and have been waiting hours trying to get CCC up and working to fix black bars on my HDMI connected 1080p TV.

First, uninstall nvidia driver. Reboot to safe mod, run drivercleaner and ccclearer. Shutdown, remove Geforce card.

Install both 6950 into the system. Connected the CF cable (1x) and booted into windows, then tried to install the 10.12 RC3 drivers. It installs, reboot but when I tried to load CCC, it loads but the only option I get on the drop down was Hydravision, desktop settings but no games or ability to select overscan.

Remove drivers, reboot, ccleaner, drivercleaner, download and install the 10.12 WHQL drivers. CCC does not work. Just blinks and nothing happens.

Tried to run CCC as administrator. Nothing.
    Uninstall CCC, reinstall CCC from seperate package download. Nothing
    Download and install ATI Tray Tools. Crashes with BSOD. Reboot to safemode, uninstall ATI TC, reboot.

So now I'm in the desktop, windows aero is working but I cannot adjust my settings or set CF on / off!

Download RadeonPro tools, install and can set global game settings AA, AF, etc... but cannot set CFX on/off or adjust the overscan to get rid of the black borders.

Getting frustrating after dropping 500 USD but spent a few hours just setting up drivers!!!!! Nvidia is way easier to handle!!!

Windows 7 Pro x64, Asus P7P55D-Deluxe MB, i5-760 @ 4.2 GHZ, 8 GB ram, 6950 2GB CF, 1080p FullHD TV via HDMI.

Wow, Like was said the other apps will likely cause more problems then they solve.

Here is how to fix it.
    open CCC, click on Graphics, then select desktops /displays, then right click on the small icon the lower one, just in the middle of the icons lcd screen basically. do not use the drop down triangle.
    Select configure then put a check in the box allowing GPU scaling, then in the tabs above it you will see scaling options, use the slider to find the desired setting, apply/save etc
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Member
    Cannot open CCC! And when I had the CCC Preview 2 version installed, the dropdown only let me select HYDRAVISION or DESKTOP Properties.

According to the readme, it said XP and Vista required .net. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and it already has .net 3+4 installed plus the SP updates.

Trying TwL kit from Guru3D.

If this doesn't work, all the flames at ATI's driver team is still valid after all this time.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Cannot open CCC! And when I had the CCC Preview 2 version installed, the dropdown only let me select HYDRAVISION or DESKTOP Properties.

According to the readme, it said XP and Vista required .net. I'm on Windows 7 x64 and it already has .net 3+4 installed plus the SP updates.

Trying TwL kit from Guru3D.

If this doesn't work, all the flames at ATI's driver team is still valid after all this time.
    Actually the problem is on the user end.
    CCC works just perfectly for people who let it do it's job, when you go mucking about in stuff you don't understand that is where the problem lies.

like has been said already the other apps overwrote registry settings preventing the CCC from taking control. trying more is only going to make it worse.

What I would do is this:
    uninstall all of that crap prefferably do a system restore to just after uninstalling nV drivers. Then install CCC using express set-up. follow the directions from the last post.

Questions:

Do you have any services shut off or running default?
    Is there a reason why you are using 1 bridge?
    Are you using 10.12 hotfix?
    when you get the pop up on first opening CCC do you select advanced?

Don't take my tone to be personal, I just see people everyday who decide they need to change settings then break things far worse.
    I really hope you get it sorted, and am not trying to be an ass , If I didn't care I would have just skipped to the next thread..
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu

Xtreme Member
    If you post a how to step by step to installing the 10.12 drivers properly, please do. I appreciate your help but I've followed this guide from Guru3D

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332395

and using the 10.12 WHQL drivers with original CCC (not preview 2), CCC still did not load.

Note: I have now installed both bridges but the included instructions never advised how many to install. On Nvidia SLI systems, you only need 1 bridge.

Win 7 services are all stock. Never touched it.

Where is the 10.12 hotfix? It is not linked on the 10.12 driver page.

Yes, when CCC was working, I did select advance. On the TOP LEFT CORNER, it only listed Hydravision and Desktop properties. No GRAPHICS options.

If you read my post again, I didn't change any settings after cleaning out the nvidia drivers. Upon a fresh install and boot into the desktop, CCC was already not working.

Its been 5 hours and counting.....
    Last edited by Neova; 12-28-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    here is the driver link : http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...12ahotfix.aspx

Don't run any other apps first, just use CCleaner registry tool after uninstalling any recent "fixes".

Run CCC chose uninstall , select all ati software from the checkboxes, reboot etc as directed, run ccc installer again and this time chose install, then express install. IF CF is installed at the time then it may go to a black screen while loading drivers and not come back, not a big deal, wait 2-3 min reset pc to reboot (since no video).

when it boots up you should have all of it sorted.

Q: Why does it go black and not return to desktop in CF when istalling new drivers?
    A: no idea but it does. just wait long enough for the installer to wrap up and then reset.

I may be on and off today I am volt modding my 6970s as we speak but I do want to see how this progresses.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu

Xtreme Member
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers again just to make sure I'm not inducing user errors:

Uninstalled ATI drivers
    Reboot into desktop
    I DID NOT RUN cccleaner or driversweeper at this stage.
    d/l the CCC2 preview full package, ran it as administrator to start the process. I clicked on CUSTOM just to see if it will install everything and CCC and the display driver is not even listed!!!!
    d/l the 10.12 WHQL ENG drivers, ran it as adminstrator, click on custom (everything is checked this time), and let it install.
    Reboot into desktop
    Open Windows TASK MANAGER and MOM.exe and CCC.exe is running.
    Right click on DESKTOP, select Catalyst Control Center, nothing happens!
    Goto START - PROGRAM FILES - Catalyst Control Center, right click on CCC ADVANCE to run as administrator, it loads a CLI process, then nothing happens!
    Repeat with CCC, CCC BASIC, HELP, nothing happens.

My video drivers are loading. But something about CCC is not working.

Is there a newer version of ATI tools that would work with 10.12?

Edit - going to redo the whole process with the hotfixed drivers. be back in 5 or so mins.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I know that some brands have somehow locked out the ability to resize the screen to remove overscan/underscan on monitors(and TVs). When I built my HTPC I bought a video card that would not allow you to resize the screen. The reason I came to after checking out home theatre forums like avsforum.com was that some video cards disable the feature when HDCP is enabled. The exact reasoning is not known, but it is known that these 2 are linked together for some brands. I then bought a second card that was the same model but a different brand and without reinstalling the drivers I could resize the screen. I don't remember which card I had but I do remember it was an MSI. Guess which brand I will never ever buy again? I would consider it likely that your problem is limited to the brand you bought. There is no fix except to replace the card as the reason for disabling the CCC appears to be in the hardware and not software.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't put too much faith in getting it working .

I had the same problem and for almost 2 months myself. I read everywhere I could on the problem. I reinstalled windows many times. I wasn't too thrilled because I had paid $350 for my video card and it was now useless for my one function. I tried to return it but since I had spent 2 months researching the problem I couldn't. MSI wouldn't provide a refund because they have some little disclaimer that says that there is no expectation that the video card's resize function would work now or in the future. They would provide no explanation for the issues I was having, but alot of people in the forums were complaining of the same issue with no comments from MSI. Of course, they offered to sell me a $500 video card for $50 off, but they couldn't even promise that the new card would work. I'll never buy MSI again and I try not to let friends buy MSI. With the number of brands that are out there, it's not too hard to ignore MSI either. I ended up with an eVGA and have had no problems with any of their cards.

Xtreme Member
    Just reinstalled with the 10.12a Hotfix drivers and while both MOM.exe and CCC.exe are loaded, NOTHING HAPPENS when I rightclick on my desktop and select CCC!

Open TASK MANAGER and closes mom.exe and ccc.exe

RUN RESTART RUNTIME as admin.

Selecting CCC, CCC ADVANCE and CCC WIZARD as admin and nothing happens.

I switch the cable to both DVI ports with the HDMI adapter to the TV and still black borders.

If I Can somehow turn on CCC so I Can try to change the overscan, then it may work.

The drivers are loading but I have no control on my graphic card settings other than what RadeonPro will let me load.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Check windows update manually thru the start menu. Must be .net related.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu

Xtreme Member
    There were 2 .net updates, installed for 3.5 and 4.0. CCC still doesn't load.

Anyway way I can use an older version of CCC or another tool? At this point, I want to set my settings to fix the black border first.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    There were 2 .net updates, installed for 3.5 and 4.0. CCC still doesn't load.

Anyway way I can use an older version of CCC or another tool? At this point, I want to set my settings to fix the black border first.
    Don't know, do you still have any of the other tools installed? something is screwing it up somewhere for sure. I can't help but think there is some conflict happening with the registry or in CCC services.

Did you say you are using the adapter? why not the native HDMI port?

You could try to uninstall and reinstall CCC now that you updated .net.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya, what jimmyz said^^^

You can uninstall and reinstall individual items when you select "custom" after uninstall/install.

with the original problem, it was not a problem. u have overscan enabled. most TVs have overscan so it zooms in a little to make sure that the image is complete as broadcasters do not have to fill the whole screen. knowing this ati/amd enable it by default but u have the tv set to not use it (as u should) so u need to change it so it dose not use overscan.

so to fix it (when u get everything working again)

go to this screen and check the box then drag the slider to 0

i dont have the old CCC installed but on that one u go to displays then click the arrow on the display (on the bottom not the desktop on in the middle) then u go to properties and overscan is in there.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I found the problem. It was Hydravision not loading or something. So I clean out the system, driversweeper, ccleaner, deleted the ATI and AMD keys from the registry, delete the ATI and AMD folders from user/application data folder, and reinstalled the drivers both from the CD and 10.12a hotfix with express install, including all the bloatware.

CCC now comes up as the first time I did it. But I am back to my first post. See attachment.

WHERE DO I SET MY GRAPHICS SETTINGs?!?!?!?!! THERE IS NO GRAPHICS OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	110675  

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    in regular ccc not in hydravision, it is a specific program for veiwing multiple VMs on one desktop and things like that, open CCC advanced ad follow directions above in earlier post, slider is pictured above
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu

Xtreme Member
    My problem is that when I RUN CCC, right click desktop, the picture is what comes up. SAME with CCC ADVANCED from the start- program files option. I selected the dropdown to show you what options there were. Some options appear to be missing or the CCC panel is broken.

I will try to reinstall the CCC2 preview drivers after I clean out the system again.

Edit - CCC2 drivers are broken for me on Windows 7 64. It will only install the installer, problem reporting wizard, audio drivers and the encoder! No display drivers or CCC!

Just did a test - If I UNINSTALL HYDRAVISION, CCC stops working! If I reinstall HYDRAVISION, CCC works but only shows the above options. It seems CCC requires Hydravision to work now.

Why do I need Hydravision for a single monitor system?

Edit 2 - Do I need to install 10.12 WHQL, then 10.12a hotfix OVER these drivers? Would that fix the missing tabs in CCC?
    Last edited by Neova; 12-29-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    At that point in time, i would get down to the basics, fresh windows install with only one card in for GPU drivers install and go from there.

Xtreme Member
    First, I want to thank all of you guys for your help, and not making a Red newb feel stupid with new hardware. I've been using Nvidia since their Riva 128 days but haven't touched AMD or ATI for personal use even though I had a lot use in the work field.

I fixed it guys!!!!! Finally!!!

Reinstalled W7 Pro because I was desperate to use my new babies, and the store does not allow refunds!

Here is my install procedure in case others have issues down the line:

Backup my documents folder
    RESET bios to default settings, and disabled all onboard hw except for boot HD.
    2x video cards with CF cable connected, and boot hd only. All other HW options disabled.
    Boot up with Windows 7 on USB, point the installation on C: drive and let it rip. Install W7
    Install all patches offline (stored on HD) including security, directx, fixes and .net 4 + sp.
    Brought my other HDs back online + installing raid driver.
    Enabled MB soundcard via bios since I am using DVI output on video card. Use default windows driver
    Enabled MB nic via bios, use default windows driver
    Installed 10.12a drivers without CCC, hydravision or the error report feature. Just drivers. Reboot
    Installed CCC2 preview per this post on Guru3D:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...57&postcount=4

No rightclick CCC function, but it shows up in the startmenu.

First thing I did was set the damn overscan back to zero and now I have 1:1 pixel perfect display.

Will start tweaking and see what kind of fun you Red team have been enjoying all along. Will make save point and install other patches and update drivers now... damn, it has been over 32 hours of total work. I lost almost days trying to fix this when I should have just nuked the c: drive instead.

Last note - Seriously, Nvidia has a better driver team. While I was researching how to fix this issue, I actually found a LOT of people have CCC issues and noticed a lot of people complain about old vs new game / apps compatibility.

And why the weird overscan settings? It should just at zero and let others tweak it!

I'll run some old and new game tests once I have everything stabilized to give another perspective later.
    Last edited by Neova; 12-29-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Congrats on getting it working.
    Underscan - Just guessing but without the default underscan if connected to a TV with overscan, like my 34" CRT HDTV, when you start up windows you can't see or use the task bar!
    Have fun.