Thread: Gray's Phase Worklog

Xtreme Addict

Gray's Phase Worklog

I've been making phase change units for quite a long time now, and was going over the old photos. I don't have pics of every unit I ever made anymore, but I found a few and thought I'd show them off.

Some are just basic, and some are pretty. I like making them a lot, so either way is ok.

I don't know if 'Worklog' is good word to use, about as close as makes sense. No photos of the building itself, I may look at adding some of that as I go.

Big Rotary bencher - 'Xmas Box'

Tall Rotary bencher in a case with el wire

Big Rotary bencher with upsized condensor and CPEV (adjustable load) - 'Mr. Fugly'

V2000 Lian Li kit with perspex mount and lighting

Case mod cooler, lowered upper plate and phase install

Dual display case with quiet compressor (was a dual graphics before the swap)

Lian Li kit with 'tinsel' braid and dual condensor

Lian Li kit in black and blue

Silver small under case unit with display

Bunch of the cases I used to use a lot

Black unit with perspex mount and lights - Custom controller

Lian Li kit with green el wire and perspex lit mount

Cool dual head for a Team Japan member - Northbridge/Southbridge benching cooler

Lian Li kit with blue lighting and lit perspex mount plate

Black unit, purple lighting and custom controller

Basic quiet bencher with a switch

That's what I could find of units I've made over the years. Lian Li's V2000 case was a popular mod, and I really enjoyed them, most of the guys wanted to have a side window and I wasn't going to let them show off an ugly cooler.

Most of them if they're in a case, they're good and solid but not pretty like those. No need if there's a case, just need to be built right.

I'll make sure I update this, as I finish off anything new. I don't think I've ever had a worklog before so I hope I'm doing it right

Hope you enjoyed the eye candy

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    i love the dual evap for nb/sb

Xtreme Addict

Forgot about the other pic of that one

Kind of looks like a scorpion in this pic out of the case.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

/dev/zero
    Great units you've made there... i have never seen those lit suction lines before.
    Xtremesystems.org
    i7-4820K * ryba 2-stager + 1-stager * EVGA X79 Dark * 32G Team Xtreem 2666C11 * EVGA GTX 680 SC Sig. * Intel G2 80G * Corsair HX1000 * Lian Li PC-70B * Watercool Heatkiller, EK Fullcover/Backplate for GTX, MCP355 Dual Setup@Koolance RP-402X2, PA120.3+Alphacool 360, Tubing 16/10.

Administrator
    Nice case on the first unit Gary
    Now trying to remember but I think that was a AC unit that you modded up right ? So you simply painted the AC case black ?

Xtreme Addict
    Yep, the cooling system didn't actually come from the AC that the case did, but it was a good fit for it so I used it.

I think I went through 5 sheets of sandpaper and 4 cans of paint before it was good enough. Kind of 'cures' me of wanting to reclaim the shells but it did make a good case in the end.

Shame that most of the newer ac units are plastic though, harder to work with.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator
    It came out real nice looking man. At first I thought you had a case made from a builder

-100c Club Member
    Nb/Sb cooler roxxx !

Maybe You have photo of suction line without insulation ? You use "Y" splitter to connect pieces of flex hose ?

For what load You have tuned it on each evaporator ?

That was with R507 ?

Xtreme Addict
    I had a look but I can't really find anything on that build.

It was for a team Japan guy, and I know they used to be really into the SPi/PiFast stuff, so NB/SB must have made a difference.

It was fun though, around 250w total capacity so 125w each. Could load one without the other on that one too, which was pretty cool. Must have gotten a good balance. 3 heads on one cooler has never worked well for me unless all heads had at least some load. There was one I made up with a EVPR and it worked ok with no load on the GPU's and full load on the CPU but it was just a 'test' unit. I love the researchy stuff.

I didn't use a 'Y' adapter though. I just used a piece of 5/8" pipe and crimped it to two 3/8" pipes. The length was identical on both and I think that's why it wasn't so twitchy with different loads.

I load tested with the 2 110w testers and gave it a bit extra to cover the 250w total, and to get it to work better with Asymetrical load.

Funny, some of the units there are a lot more pretty, but it's the strange ones that people like best. That's cool, I'd put it at one of my favorites to be honest.

I think it held -20ish per head at 110w load testing? I used 404a on that one I'm pretty sure. No need to get it a few degrees colder, just subzero was the idea, and the condensor at the time was smallish so 404a seemed ideal.

I don't know if the need is there for cooling like that on NB/SB to get higher FSB's like there used to be. Wish I'd found out how things worked out but I never did hear about it.

Thanks guys, nice to get feedback on stuff

I may end up doing a X2000 unit for someone soon. I hope so they look pretty sweet and he seems to be into the fancy lights and stuff to go with it which is awesome. I shy away from 'custom' projects as much as possible but those Lian Li cases are a pretty cool mod. Love to do some of that again, but it's tough to buy up a $500+ case and just 'hope' someone buys it later so it'll have to be an occasional mod.

I'm starting to get a bit bored with the larger compressors now. I think I'm going to have to swap over to a few quiet units for a little bit. I like the variety

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]