Thread: Possible to migrate BOINC?

Xtreme Cruncher

Possible to migrate BOINC?

I need to re-install an OS. I plan to change from xp x64 to 7 x64.

Is it possible to migrate BOINC so I don't add another device installation to my list of installed devices? Or do I have to sacrifice the device's identification/points to its old ID? If it's possible, how? I am not changing any hardware.

Sorry, I'm sure this information is available on here somewhere but, I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any help.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I don't know about Win7, but I just did a reinstall on my daughter's rig, moving it from Ubuntu 32bit to 64bit, and all I had to do was change the executable files to the new version and it picked up right where it left off. Didn't even corrupt a single work unit.
    I'm sure I've seen posts detailing what to do to make it happen in Windows on here somewhere, but I think it comes down to copying the data folder onto a portable device then on the fresh OS install BOINC but shut it down before attaching to WCG (important ... from memory) then copy the data folder back and you're good to go ... I think.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, I think that's how to do it too....just checking before I screw it all up.

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Just tell your system to not accept new work, let it crunch and report all the work,. then reinstall your OS...

Back from the Dead
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=boinc+install
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=boinc+install

.. and probably in 5 other places

Should work between XP and Win7 as well, as long as they are both x64. Note that the data folder is located somewhere else on XP (check the messages tab/log on startup to find out where it is)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]