Thread: WCG Xtreme Xmas Traditions

Xtreme Enthusiast

WCG Xtreme Xmas Traditions

Seeing as we have a wide variety of people here from all over the globe I'm curious to know what traditions / games we all get up to with our families during this time of year.

While I was in Japan last month I learned the Mafia 'card game' which I thought would be good to try this Christmas.

Traditionally my family plays scrabble, cranium and Christmas wouldn't be complete unless we all failed miserable at charades

We've got both of my sisters, one of their boyfriends, one uncle, two aunties, a cousin and my grandma coming to stay. It'll be the first without my granddad so I thought it'd be a good idea to try to rustle up some fun from my online family

Merry Christmas
    Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

(o.O)
    My family is all Irish. We like to drink and I don't think this holiday season will be any different

but we'll play things like cranium, apples to apples, and some other similar type of games. never sober though
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Christmas is now a time of peace and quiet.
    I had those years of assembling the kids toys till 4am, crapping out on the sofa and being awakened by a 40lb kid flying thru the air and "bouncing" Dad.
    Ever been bounced while you were dead asleep by a 40lb kid traveling thru the air at Mach 1?
    Your chest collapses 6 inches, all the air goes out of you and you wonder if you'll ever be able to breathe again.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not yet MM, I'm only 21 Though my parents did used to throw me at the sofa when I was small... Maybe getting their own back for said situation

Rise; what's apples to apples?

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I had those years of assembling the kids toys till 4am, crapping out on the sofa and being awakened by a 40lb kid flying thru the air and "bouncing" Dad.
    Ever been bounced while you were dead asleep by a 40lb kid travelling thru the air at Mach 1?
    Your chest collapses 6 inches, all the air goes out of you and you wonder if you'll ever be able to breathe again.
    Mine are all teenagers now, but it was worse when said child missile didn't quite land on your chest

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Mine are all teenagers now, but it was worse when said child missile didn't quite land on your chest
    That happened to me last year...ugh. This year I will have my cup on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    My family is all Irish. We like to drink and I don't think this holiday season will be any different
    This, just switch it with Mexican. We eat, then just hang out, watch TV/video games/movies on Christmas Eve. At midnight we exchange a few gifts and that's pretty much it, we stash some fireworks for NYE
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ever been bounced while you were dead asleep by a 40lb kid traveling thru the air at Mach 1?

Oh Lord those where the days! With six siblings and their children it was a mad house.

Now that everyone has grown up one of the more interesting and fun things we always do is the "Chinese Christmas Exchange" (don't ask me why it's called that). Everyone buys a present for $20 and wraps it up. Then everyone draws a name out of the hat and you get to pick the present you want in order. When it comes your turn you can pick a wrapped gift or take anyone else's gift, each gift can exchange hands only three times.

Well it's priceless watching everyone try to get what they want, families ganging up on other families, strategies played so you ensure you get the gift you want on the third pick. It is HILARIOUS, with our family ! You'd think the presents are all made of gold.

Let's get to 100 Million PPD!
    When MM was growing up with 5 siblings, Christmas was chaos. The eight of us, my mother and father, my sister, her husband and their 4 children
    opened gifts under our tree while the turkey roasted. Dinner was traditional Canadian/English style, including gallons of gravy, tons of mashed potatoes,squash,turnip, a 25-lb. tom turkey, sweet potatoes, tiny peas with tiny onions, piccalilli, cranberry sauce, stuffed celary, and eight different desserts, all homemade by a working mom. It wouldn't have been Christmas without plum pudding and fruit cake which are shunned by everyone nowadays. Oh, I forgot. We usually had two friends who are Jewish join us for dessert; there was absolutely no room for them at the dinner table.
    A little wine with dinner and lots of bourbon throughout the day.
    After dinner we all zonked out while kids enjoyed their new games. Those were the days!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    We still enjoy the Christmas cake and plum pudding (my family is Irish/Australian btw). This year we've already had one Christmas dinner (my sister and her kids will be interstate with her inlaws), plus have another two to go. Christmas day with my Mum, the six of us and a couple of "close-enough-as-family" extras, then Boxing Day we do it all again with the six of us, mother and father in-law PLUS it's my eldest son's birthday (he's 20 this year). I expect I will be feeling a tad peckish again some time in March.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Fanboy of Good Products
    ^ i hope to goodness sake you don't know that from memory lol i was rolling.

"pretty standard really", i use that line quite frquently
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    No I wish I did though...

Fanboy of Good Products
    don't try to pass me..
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Mom View Post
    When MM was growing up with 5 siblings, Christmas was chaos. The eight of us, my mother and father, my sister, her husband and their 4 children
    opened gifts under our tree while the turkey roasted. Dinner was traditional Canadian/English style, including gallons of gravy, tons of mashed potatoes,squash,turnip, a 25-lb. tom turkey, sweet potatoes, tiny peas with tiny onions, piccalilli, cranberry sauce, stuffed celary, and eight different desserts, all homemade by a working mom. It wouldn't have been Christmas without plum pudding and fruit cake which are shunned by everyone nowadays. Oh, I forgot. We usually had two friends who are Jewish join us for dessert; there was absolutely no room for them at the dinner table.
    A little wine with dinner and lots of bourbon throughout the day.
    After dinner we all zonked out while kids enjoyed their new games. Those were the days!
    Well Dave's Mom you taught him well, his manners and regard for others had to come from his upbringing. You did a stellar job.

Merry Christmas.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark View Post
    ...Now that everyone has grown up one of the more interesting and fun things we always do is the "Chinese Christmas Exchange" (don't ask me why it's called that). Everyone buys a present for $20 and wraps it up. Then everyone draws a name out of the hat and you get to pick the present you want in order. When it comes your turn you can pick a wrapped gift or take anyone else's gift, each gift can exchange hands only three times.

Well it's priceless watching everyone try to get what they want, families ganging up on other families, strategies played so you ensure you get the gift you want on the third pick. It is HILARIOUS, with our family ! You'd think the presents are all made of gold.
    That sounds like a right laugh. This is what I thought Secret Santa was supposed to be.

I've been having a little scout about the net, something you may or may not know;

Why is 26 December called Boxing Day?

Traditionally, 26 December was the day to open the Christmas Box to share the contents with the poor.

What is a Christmas Box?

The Christmas box was a wooden or clay container where people placed gifts.

History of Boxing Day - Boxing Day origins

Through our research for this page, we have discovered that Christmas Boxes were used in different ways:

To protect ships

During the Age of Exploration, when great sailing ships were setting off to discover new land, A Christmas Box was used as a good luck device. It was a small container placed on each ship while it was still in port. It was put there by a priest, and those crewmen who wanted to ensure a safe return would drop money into the box. It was then sealed up and kept on board for the entire voyage.

If the ship came home safely, the box was handed over to the priest in the exchange for the saying of a Mass of thanks for the success of the voyage. The Priest would keep the box sealed until Christmas when he would open it to share the contents with the poor.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...boxingday.html
    I must say I've never heard of this game;

Where are Santa Clothes?

Get a Santa outfit about the size of a beanie baby or so and Hide the various pieces of clothing like jacket, pants, boots, cap, etc... throughout your holiday decorating, You may want to even take a photo of Santa before he lost his clothes, so that everyone has an idea of what to look for.

Examples of place to hide Santa's clothes:
    Santa jacket On the silo of my barn in the Christmas village I put out
    Santa pants On a small tree
    Santa belt Use to hang an ornament on a different tree
    Boots Standing amongst candles or small Christmas statues
    Bag In the corner of my nativity set up
    Mittens Hanging around a small stuffed toy
    Hat On a small statue or stuffed toy

Everyone is given a pad and pen when they enter or you can wait until everyone arrives to begin and told to look throughout the decorating to find Santa's clothes. When they find Santa's clothes they need to write it down and prizes can be given to the first 5 people who get everything correct. This is a way of getting everyone to see all your decorating and different stuff throughout the party area.

Note: If you don't have a Santa outfit, make a list of Holiday items that guests can search for and the first ones to find them wins and ornament or a small gift.

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Mom View Post
    ...Dinner was traditional Canadian/English style, including gallons of gravy, tons of mashed potatoes,squash,turnip, a 25-lb. tom turkey, sweet potatoes, tiny peas with tiny onions, piccalilli, cranberry sauce, stuffed celary, and eight different desserts, all homemade by a working mom. It wouldn't have been Christmas without plum pudding and fruit cake which are shunned by everyone nowadays....
    When I read that, my eyes glazed over Homer Simpson style...and I've now got a pool of saliva on my keyboard.

Never was one for fruitcake myself, but my Dear Old Mum still makes a plum pudding every year. I still get that childhood feeling of awe when she brings it in to the table aflame from the brandy (or rum or whatever it is she douses it with).

Merry Christmas everybody!