Thread: India to enter the elite group of world chipmakers, $3 billion set up

Xtreme Member

Arrow India to enter the elite group of world chipmakers, $3 billion set up

India is ready to enter the small and elite group of world chipmakers, with the first such facility in the country receiving strong support from the government of India.

The state-of-the-art facility, which sources believe would cost around $3 billion to set up, could reduce India’s 100 per cent reliance on imported chips from a select group of foundries in countries like Taiwan, China and Israel.

Sources in London and within the semiconductor sector in India said this feat has been achieved after more than five years of intense lobbying by the domestic industry. With nearly 130,000 embedded-software, chip-design and board-design professionals in India as well as a large captive market, India is ready to climb straight to the top of this group of chipmakers.

Sources also said an announcement on setting up such a facility in India is expected to be made soon by the government. A spokesperson for Bangalore-based India Semiconductor Association declined to answer queries on this latest development.

“India has significant design capability and also a huge market. The only thing missing was the manufacturing capability. Looks like that gap would also be soon bridged,” said a source in London.

The delay in such a project taking off so far has been due to the massive investment needed and the problem of making the unit profitable, thus keeping the private sector at bay. “Without heavy subsidies and financial support of the government, it is not possible to set up such a facility,” added the source.

Major units in Taiwan, China and Israel are all supported by their respective governments, with Taiwan commanding a 47 per cent global marketshare.

Chipmakers are divided into two broad categories: Captive fabricators comprise popular brands like Intel, AMD, IMB, TI, NXT and ST Micro. The other large group, known as foundries, are what one may call contract and custom manufacturers, not dedicated to one brand. Taiwan’s TSMC and UMC, China’s SMIC and Israel’s Tower come under this category. India’s proposed facility will fall under the second category.

Apart from the most well-known application in computers, chips have a very broad set of applications in the telecom, aerospace, defence, medical, automotive and industrial sectors.

Govt to back setting up a microchip facility in India

Xtreme Member
    Indian Government doing this ? Either this will never be built or it'll be worthless by the time it gets done.
    There was a rumor Intel was considering setting up a Fab in India some 3 years back, but they decided to build more in Israel as the Semiconductor policies were 'unclear'
    I dont know if they are targeting the el cheapo embedded market/chipmakers that don't need cutting edge stuff, but $3 Bn is a big amount.

Xtreme Addict
    I have known about this for a while. Might even get to go install some machines there.

Currently at one of those on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Depending on how much know how they have beforehand, isn't 3 billion dollars not that much money to start a brand new Fab business?

I think land might be cheaper, but companies like TSMC are spending like 9 billion on a plant and they probably have alot of the know hand and research, so unless it is basic stuff, how competitive do they want to be?
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    450mm wafer?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We have development centers in india and the folks there are pretty sharp. But $3B is not enough to get the ball rolling unless you are going to use a foundry. That pretty much defeats the purpose unless you are convincing the foundry to open a location in your country.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Mentor
    which chip they made?
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    450mm wafer?
    That's new
    ASUS P5K PREMIUM
    INTEL Q6600 @3.7Ghz, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Silverstone FM 123
    Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @578Mhz 2*2Gb, 5-5-5-15 T2
    XFX XXX 8800 GTX 650/1550/2000
    2x Seagate 7200.11 500Gb RAID 0
    PC Power & Colling Silencer 750Watt

Xtreme Member
    It's getting tiresome to see all these state subsidized chipfoundries. Say no to socialized chipmaking!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    3billion? hah!
    there not gonna get far with this in the semicon industry...

Whatever happened to my Rs. 1500 ($35) netbook?

Xtreme Addict
    $3b seems to be the price you'd pay to buy up an established fabs 'old' equipment.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
    $3b seems to be the price you'd pay to buy up an established fabs 'old' equipment.
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    3billion? hah!
    Well it is happening. And it will get them what they need when you know where to look.

Xtreme Addict
    well amds fab in ny cost like 5bln or something....India is cheaper (labor and all) so maybe this is enough?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    450mm wafer?
    Not a chance considering the OEM's are not making 450mm machines, and are pushing really hard not to.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well if they're getting into a new market, it's quite possible they'll start with used material and older processes to minimize money loss. Once the processes are perfected, they'll shell for upgrades. This makes sense for India but we'll have to see if they can pull it off. It's slightly more complex than their other big state projects (highways, infrastructure dev, etc) and they've yet to impress anybody with those easier projects... Developing countries don't quite work like America when you think of those big projects.

I am Xtreme
    450mm wafer?
    Unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    It's getting tiresome to see all these state subsidized chipfoundries. Say no to socialized chipmaking!
    You can't really build such a huge start-up fab without some government support... Even if you're a huge company like Intel, you still have to discuss a lot of things before you're allowed to build it.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    3billion? hah!
    "The state-of-the-art facility, which sources believe would cost around $3 billion to set up". Could be more. We don't know for sure. Besides, it doesn't have to be huge and make Itanium-class chips. Could be a smaller fab for smaller chips for now. Doesn't have to start big.
    Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    well amds fab in ny cost like 5bln or something....India is cheaper (labor and all) so maybe this is enough?
    May very well be.

Surely Indian government isn't run by idiots who don't know what they are throwing $3 billion at... Come on, guys.
    Last edited by zalbard; 12-19-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Intel did not make a chip station in India not because of the unknown rules but because of the rigid nature of the then government. Trust me i know what i am talking about, a very senior European Intel PR fellow also had talks for 8-9 months straight with the Indian goverment but all of that was just talk not a thing came out of it.

Intel higher administration was pissed the reason was because they were cutting it very close and the reason why Intel wanted to setup a chip station in India was because of requests made by a few upper Indians who were a part of the Intel administration.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    One of the biggest problem with India is infrastructure, such as stable power. You can't have your machines going down for a power glitch. For the ones I work on, you are looking at a minimum of 24hours and sometimes up to a week of recovery. It will stop the whole line dead in its tracks.

I will let you guys know how it compares when I go there.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    You sir are invited over for dinner/lunch anytime
    Cheers and kind regards !

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

Xtreme Guru
    the company is gonna be based in delhi

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    the company is gonna be based in delhi
    I have a house there too mate

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    One of the biggest problem with India is infrastructure, such as stable power. You can't have your machines going down for a power glitch. For the ones I work on, you are looking at a minimum of 24hours and sometimes up to a week of recovery. It will stop the whole line dead in its tracks.

There are two types of electricity connections one is private the other is commercial industry. Now the latter one does now just die out at anytime it is shared with most Indian military areas and as such are more robust and dont have a down period that the normal supply has.

The R&D center in which i was staying had 2 private connections and a commercial one. The private ones powered the campus and served as backup while the commercial one powered the core offices and labs.
    Coming Soon