Thread: Cheap idea

Cheap idea

Could you use a ice chest as a reservoir and put say 2 2liter bottles of water that is frozen solid in the chest to cool the computer and just take the bottles out every night and put them back in the freezer to get frozen? Also maybe you would not need a radiator.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    You don't use a radiator in a chilled loop anyways and you could do that but the temps will be very hard to control as the ice melts. Not saying don't try it. Do and let us know what you find as a result.
    MM

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

It is all about volume and starting temperature how well or should I say for how long a solution like this works.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, icewater benching is great

Just depends how long the ice lasts. Problem is having to monitor that, since it's a bit iffy to just set up the res and leave it.

I guess a way around that would be to set up a temp probe and control what would switch waterflow to a rad if it went up when the ice was gone, but that takes away from the 'cheap' part.

I've benched icewater and had a 2 gallon res with ice cubes filling it, and just enough water to get started. Lasted about 4 hours with 0 or so water.

Big blocks of ice won't keep you quite as cold with the water flowing, but will last longer. As long as the blocks/bottles have enough heat transfer to keep the water cool. 2 big blocks won't transfer nearly as much heat as a bunch of small cubes.

So yes, if you're there all the time, sure it'll work, just make sure the heat of the water stays low, or rework it for a lot of small bottles instead of 2 or 3 big ones.

Otherwise, if you do have to leave it alone, adjust the cpu shutdown temp in bios so it won't overheat.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    I take a dice container and stick ice cubes in it and when it melts i suck the water through a straw and spit it out into a cup and keep adding ice. Its a cheap thrill.

Xtreme Member
    Nice Trans am!!
    Mobo: eVGA x58 Classified (759)
    CPU: i7-990x
    GPU: 2xGTX 580
    Cooling: F1 Gemini/Tek-9 Fat LN2 | 12k BTU Chiller HK 3.0/DD Water Block
    RAM: 3 x 2gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracers
    HD: OCZ LE SSD 100GB | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Monitor: Dell 2707 LCD