Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: The true reason behind the delay of AMD Cayman 6970/6950? - you'd never wanna know

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    (...)

Because of ? Oh yes, I forgot, the pesky "PCIe power connector implodes due to a lack of a supporting corner" syndrome that we've been suffering from since never. Electrically and functionally these cards 100% fine. Aesthetically there is a slight nick in each one. I'd have rather they used these cards as RMA warranty cards than original retail cards but the filed plastic won't impact the lifetime of the card for the normal user.
    Because the store/retailer/brand can say you did the "mod" and because of that your warranty is not valid.

It's a hardcore scenario, but it can happen.

Xtreme Member
    Remember a "small portion" of cards could still be 5k or 10k cards scattered across the globe. Of course you are going to hear people reporting "hey, this is filed down" way more often then "hey, my card is 100% normal".

Because of ? Oh yes, I forgot, the pesky "PCIe power connector implodes due to a lack of a supporting corner" syndrome that we've been suffering from since never. Electrically and functionally these cards 100% fine. Aesthetically there is a slight nick in each one. I'd have rather they used these cards as RMA warranty cards than original retail cards but the filed plastic won't impact the lifetime of the card for the normal user.

You misunderstood me. I am not saying that the "mod" will become a source of failure. I am saying that if the card fails for whatever reason, it could become a problem when tech support at your retailer or the AIB inspect your card for signs of tempering before considering any repair. You would have to trust these people to remember about this batch or to even have been advised about it. If it happened in the next 6 months you may be fine but what about in 2 years time?

Why would you take any additional risk for the mistake of somebody else? Why not wait a few weeks before buying the card? That's what I am saying, hopefully it is clearer now

Xtreme Addict
    It has nothing to do with waiting. It has everything to do with the cost of scrapping the cards!

The delay has less to do with this anyways, than it does with the 32nm debacle.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Member
    Is this somebody know if the gigabyte cards have got the same crude modification ?
    Last edited by jeanjean15; 12-18-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    This oughta knock the ATI fanboy's down a peg. Unfortunately it also raises the Nvidia fanboy's 2 pegs. Wonder if there's a file for that....

I am Xtreme
    And you can't even see it unless you specifically look inside the card using a flashlight...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    i dont care, i would file it myself when i do a cooler mod

i find its a good move, they have more cards in stock earlier is what counts in for sales. If they did a good deal with whoever is responsible its even more clever..
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Quote Originally Posted by Oese View Post
    i dont care, i would file it myself when i do a cooler mod

i find its a good move, they have more cards in stock earlier is what counts in for sales. If they did a good deal with whoever is responsible its even more clever..
    I agree with Oese. I don't care about the connector corner being hand sanded off either. You can only see it if the card is out of your case and you look really hard at it. It doesn't effect the performance of the card. If any of you had ownership in AMD you would have sanded it to. I am sure it is more than lets just re-solder this connector over here. They would probably have to do some redesigning to the PCB board, moving components around. That would have required too much time initially and also would waste perfect boards which means a lot of money wasted. NVIDIA already had their gtx series out and AMD needed to get theirs out on the market. I could care less about the corner. Mine work perfect.

I don't see why anyone is complaining about this. What if they didn't sand off the corners of the connector. Then you guys would really have something to complain about. What if they initially scrapped all those boards and made a revision board. That would have taken months of time to do and yet everyone would be still complaining. They definitely made the ideal choice, both for AMD's business and for the consumers who were eagerly awaiting the new 6900 series.
    System: OBSIDIAN
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz w/Bios Voltage @ 1.37 Volts
    MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    Memory: Corsair Veneance 16Gb DDR3 Dual Channel
    Graphics Cards: 2 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB OC Version in CF (1000MHz Core/1450MHz Mem)
    Hard Drives: Intel 510 120Gb SSD & 1Tb Western Digital Caviar
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition
    Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
    Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME Headset
    Power Supply: Ultra X4 1200W Modular Power Supply
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
    CPU Cooling: Koolance CPU-360/Swiftech MCP655 w/EK Top Revision 2. One Tripple Feser and One Double Feser Radiator
    GPU Cooling: Stock-They work fantastic
    Monitor: 30" DoubleSight DS-307W

Xtreme Member
    they couldnt just make a different cooler?
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

Banned Movieman...
    look at date of the other posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aleki View Post
    they couldnt just make a different cooler?
    Yeah they may have been able to do that, but the best course of action was to simply just file the connector end. To make a new cooler, first it would have needed to be designed, then from paper to the plant to be manufactured. Those things take time to complete. They might not have had all the materials in house and would have to order them, and then, they would need time to test the cooler (and the cooler performed as they wanted to so why change something that already worked), and etc... Not only would that have been time consuming, but also costly to do. I am an engineer but you don't require an engineering degree to figure this out.
    System: OBSIDIAN
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz w/Bios Voltage @ 1.37 Volts
    MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    Memory: Corsair Veneance 16Gb DDR3 Dual Channel
    Graphics Cards: 2 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB OC Version in CF (1000MHz Core/1450MHz Mem)
    Hard Drives: Intel 510 120Gb SSD & 1Tb Western Digital Caviar
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition
    Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
    Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME Headset
    Power Supply: Ultra X4 1200W Modular Power Supply
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
    CPU Cooling: Koolance CPU-360/Swiftech MCP655 w/EK Top Revision 2. One Tripple Feser and One Double Feser Radiator
    GPU Cooling: Stock-They work fantastic
    Monitor: 30" DoubleSight DS-307W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Could anyone confirm whether the MSI 6950 Twin FrozR II being affected or not?

Xtreme Member
    They could have saved the time on mine. Mine is water cooled as of about a week ago, Yay! I have a sapphire 6970 with the filing and I'm not concerned. I'd be surprised if any of the non reference cards are "affected" sniper sung but again why worry about it it's just the plastic that is filed a bit and not even to the point where the pins are exposed: it's through one of the 2 walls.
    955 BE Swiftech Appogee XT, 8GB Gskill ripjaw, MSI 790FX GD70, Sapphire HD6970, Enzotech cooled with VGA-IS, BMR-C1, one MOS-C1 and a MST-88 cut to fit like the Eight pin connector on my card 2x raid 0 raptor 74GB's, 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda, coolermaster ucp 700,

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper_sung View Post
    Could anyone confirm whether the MSI 6950 Twin FrozR II being affected or not?

this doesn't affect performance in any way

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567