Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The true reason behind the delay of AMD Cayman 6970/6950? - you'd never wanna know

Xtreme Member
    AMD is stupid if they paid a lot of money for the "corner cutting". I'm sure if they handed flyers on these kind of forums they'd find thousands of fanboys willing to "cut corners" for free.

Xtreme Member
    Guess AMD is cutting corners too, sometimes literally.

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, why is AMD referred to as "农企"? Only peasants use AMD products?
    1.7%

c[_]
    Does anyone have more clear photos of the actual interference? It seems to me it could touch the fan casing, but the blades look a little far away....

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    And this is a big deal because ... ?
    You don't think it's a big deal because it's with AMD, if it were on the green side...

You'd make sure it'd be a huge deal.
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hah, wow this is so embarrassing...
    how could they have overlooked something like this?

man, whats going on at amd/ati?
    they go for a chip the same size of cypress aiming for 480 performance when they must have KNOWN nvidia will have something faster at the end of the year, and then they cant even get the card sizes and diameters right?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hah, wow this is so embarrassing...
    how could they have overlooked something like this?
    Human Error - this being part of robotized mass production, the guy (probably a saboteur from nVidia) who inserted the commands got it wrong... and by time they got to assembly, who knows how many batches have they made...

Normally, this batches should have been tagged as "BAD" and make new ones instead, at least that's what some brands do to preserve their image... but guess AMD is on a tight budget if they end-up "fixing them - by this approach" instead of replacing them.

Champion
    Now the thing is...yes, I find this to be quite embarassing, but as long as it does not affect the behaviour of the product, it's ok. Anyway, all my cards are like that =))

Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Xtreme Addict
    Correction - it's a flaw in design, so it's not the guy who inserted the commands for mass production. But still a human error - yet still a cheap approach, since they could have replace it with a new component yet they had to solder it manually - which is a longer and more expensive process... yet now one which AMD couldn't afford in terms of "budget" - more like a "time issue".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser777 View Post
    Lol, why is AMD referred to as "农企"? Only peasants use AMD products?
    By "农企" (Peasants' Enterprise) they mean AMD isn't putting appropriate budget into their public relations. As a hardware reviewer, nApoleon always criticised how indifferent AMD was whenever they launched a new product.

Xtreme Member
    FAIL!

Xtreme Addict
    Cannot believe this...cannot
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Member
    Unbelievable but this explains a lot. No wonder bulldozer is 2 years late.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    Unbelievable but this explains a lot. No wonder bulldozer is 2 years late.
    They probably can't figure out how to get it in the socket
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchrome View Post
    They probably can't figure out how to get it in the socket
    lol, good one.
    CPU:Core i7 920|RAM:3*2GB OCZ Gold|SSD + 2 HDD|GFX:GTX460 + 8800GT |Monitor:Asus VG236H |MB:Rampage II Gene|Case:Antec P182

These "shocked" posts are reminiscent of celebrity gossip news. The pointlessness of the news is equivalent and the reactions are just as exaggerated.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, who needs news.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    These "shocked" posts are reminiscent of celebrity gossip news. The pointlessness of the news is equivalent and the reactions are just as exaggerated.
    lol, was just thinking this myself. Amazing how many people are "shocked" or "outraged", by something so trivial.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it looks like a "hotfix" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Yeah, who needs news.
    Knowing about it is good, and complaining about it is I feel warranted. People here are acting like AMD murdered their first born though. The response is simply not proportional. The "outrage" is over such a tiny matter that bears no impact on anyone or anything.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Two things come to mind when such a question is posed.

1. wood screws
    2. hypocracy
    Nvidia showed a fake card at a tech conference. ATI quietly delayed their launch, fixed the problem, then launched in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    You don't think it's a big deal because it's with AMD, if it were on the green side...

You'd make sure it'd be a huge deal.
    Actually, no I didn't. Your over eagerness to hate on ATI shows in the fact that you didn't even spend a modicum of brain power to compare and contrast the different situations.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    I must say, it does not effect my consideration of purchase one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    I must say, it does not effect my consideration of purchase one bit.
    What!? - you mean, you buy a card for what it can do, not for how it looks? You're weird man! Performance is one thing - but usually in this price range the card esthetics is just as important, if not more...

To bad they're not gold plated - not so shiny!!! SHHHHINYY!!

Xtreme Member
    To paraphrase one smart man, some people spend so much time hunting Fanboy Demons™, that they turn into Fanboy Demons™ themselves in the process.
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Mentor
    looks like they buffed off a few shaders to

whatever really its no biggy. the cards still work right? i think they took the right approach....looks like a simple fix rather than cutting the cooler shroud or re soldering the socket.

im sure this wasnt the main cause of the delay
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast