Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon HD6950/6970(Cayman) Reviews

Xtreme Guru
    @ heinz69 cant wait for antilles, really cant!! Bringing back memorys when AMD brang out the 5970 which was crown, looks like AMD is going to do it again!! Hope this time though they get drivers right because when i was rocking CF 5970s so much microstuttering it wasnt funny.. So this time please get the drivers right for a dual GPU card

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    @ heinz69 cant wait for antilles, really cant!! Bringing back memorys when AMD brang out the 5970 which was crown, looks like AMD is going to do it again!! Hope this time though they get drivers right because when i was rocking CF 5970s so much microstuttering it wasnt funny.. So this time please get the drivers right for a dual GPU card
    Unless they solve the afr rendering framerate inconsistency its gonna be the same microstutter experience for you most likely.

Xtreme Member
    Seems 10.12a improved 3DMark11 performance for me.

10.12 (8.801) - http://3dmark.com/3dm11/197922

10.12a (8.790.6.2) - http://3dmark.com/3dm11/202116

GPU score, 4938 vs 5137.
    -
    Core i7 860 @ 3.80GHz, 1.28v | GA-P55A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB DDR3 @ 1900MHz 7-9-8-24 1N, 1.57v | HIS HD 6950 2GB, 1536sp @ 900/1400, 1.10v | Samsung F3 500GB | Thermaltake 750W | Windows 7 64bit | Air

Crunching away...

It looks like cayman still can't drive more than two of its dvi and hdmi ports at the same time. The card I bought didn't include a mini dp to regular dp adapter, either.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kadozer View Post
    Unless they solve the afr rendering framerate inconsistency its gonna be the same microstutter experience for you most likely.
    Main reason why i am against multi gpus , ever since they introduced the tech noone nvidia/amd/ati have not improved anything in that field, still needs profiles to work , still needs separate ram (not shared), microstutter ect
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

ATI Tray Tools seems to cause a BSOD when it loads with Cayman installed. Might want to be careful, guys.

Also, what's the deal with CCC? It looks identical to the CCC I'm used to.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you download this?
    AMD Catalyst 10.12 Preview for Windows 7

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._Win7_Dec7.exe
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Stock HSF: 18°C idle / 37°C load (15°C ambient)
    Hyper 212+: 16°C idle / 29°C load (15°C ambient)

Why AMD Radeon rumors/leaks "are not always accurate"
    Reality check

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kadozer View Post
    Microstering is not a problem with right system setup and game settings. It is old story, and it was mainly problem with older CrossFire and SLI cards.

I had the HD 4870 x2 no problem, the reason I bought the HD 5970 and now waiting for HD 6990.

I'm sure not an idiot to punish my self with microstutering if it was the case.

The microstuttering problem is old tale mostly repeated by people that never used the CrossFire or SLI with the newer cards edition or never had any CrossFire or SLI period.

I can safely bet that most people using SLI or CrossFire with the right setup have no such problem. Also I can safely bet the minute Nvidia comes out with dual GPU card, the problem will go away with some people.

Some people just have a HUGE problem to read something positive in this AMD Cayman doom and gloom review thread. Beside I was not even posting my own experience.

Go read again here or the other CrossFire review in the OP.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Member
    Can't speak for 5970, but I had(still somehwere in a closet) GF 295 and my buddies had 4870X2, both had microstuttering in somegames. Now given many people had no idea they had it until pointed out to them , ignorance is a bliss as they say.
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
    Microstering is not a problem with right system setup and game settings. It is old story, and it was mainly problem with older CrossFire and SLI cards.

I had the HD 4870 x2 no problem, the reason I bought the HD 5970 and now waiting for HD 6990.

I'm sure not an idiot to punish my self with microstutering if it was the case.

The microstuttering problem is old tale mostly repeated by people that never used the CrossFire or SLI with the newer cards edition or never had any CrossFire or SLI period.

I can safely bet that most people using SLI or CrossFire with the right setup have no such problem. Also I can safely bet the minute Nvidia comes out with dual GPU card, the problem will go away with some people.

Some people just have a HUGE problem to read something positive in this AMD Cayman doom and gloom review thread. Beside I was not even posting my own experience.

Go read again here or the other CrossFire review in the OP.
    Look, I agree with you. I am on the 'microstutter does exist but not everyone sees it, its a mountain out of molehill" side. Reason why I explicitly said

No long explanations needed for me. I can't speak for others experiences but its not a problem for me and never has been, but I believe people if they say they experience it just as long as they know the difference between micro stutter and regular stutter.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Main reason why i am against multi gpus , ever since they introduced the tech noone nvidia/amd/ati have not improved anything in that field, still needs profiles to work , still needs separate ram (not shared), microstutter ect
    There were huge improvements since the HD 3870 the same goes for Nvidia compared to some of the older dual GPU sandwitch card.

The AMD dual GPU cards have the same amount of GDDR5 per GPU as single card so how can that be problem?

The only way to get top performance graphic card setup is, SLI or CrossFire I prefer to have such on single card.
    Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 Six-Core - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL ? Push-Pull Liquid Water
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA2011 - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
    Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC in CrossFire - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
    Intel X25-M 160GB G2 SSD - WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6
    Corsair HX1000W PSU - Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R
    Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
    Sennheiser RS 180 - Cooler Master Cosmos S Case

Xtreme Member
    There were huge improvements since the HD 3870 the same goes for Nvidia compared to some of the older dual GPU sandwitch card.

The AMD dual GPU cards have the same amount of GDDR5 per GPU as single card so how can that be problem?

The only way to get top performance graphic card setup is, SLI or CrossFire I prefer to have such on single card.
    I disagree on improvement but no matter not gonna argue about it.

If we had shared memory , A. we might get cheaper cards or B. we would get twice the amount of ram. Compared to current setup.

And yes sadly true. Kinda miss those one year 2x perf cycles.

Xtreme Guru
    agree with you heinz, but i actually owned 2x 5970s both watercooled, microstutter only happened when i crossfired these suckers running a resolution of 5760x1200.. But yeah to many people rant when they've never even experienced microstutter lol

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    microstutter is non existent with 2gb of memory.. haven't noticed anything yet..

this review confirms it:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles...%202GB/P1.html

also shows 5870's with 2gb are closer to 69x0 performance at high res
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm seeing people returning their GTX580 then upgrading to a HD6950 CF for $50 more.
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Stock HSF: 18°C idle / 37°C load (15°C ambient)
    Hyper 212+: 16°C idle / 29°C load (15°C ambient)

Why AMD Radeon rumors/leaks "are not always accurate"
    Reality check

<omitted>

I can certainly appreciate your opinion, but I encountered it and it wasn't on old hardware. I ended up selling my second Radeon 5850 because it didn't help at all. Framerates were up but so was the jerkiness, effectively making it harder to play competitive games instead of easier.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Addict
    I think the key to making cayman faster focusing drivers on the 6970 side of things.

From what I remember about the earlier series, alot of huge driver increases happened when they stopped designing drivers for the 1950xt and below series. Cayman is different so working on drivers so focused on utilizing 5 way shaders is going to hold them back. Having two different set of drivers for both companies I think would help both of them at this point.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    Gigabyte GTX 570 vs. Sapphire 6970 and 6950 vs. Radeon 5870 - All Overclocked
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    If you ignore the GTX 570 and just compare both Cayman's to 5870, just illustrates how badly optimized drivers are needed. I give them till March to get it right.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    microstutter is non existent with 2gb of memory.. haven't noticed anything yet..

this review confirms it:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles...%202GB/P1.html

also shows 5870's with 2gb are closer to 69x0 performance at high res
    No, that review does not confirm it. They use average framerates and only mention texture load stutter. There are no 69x0 numbers in the review.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    Interesting review, shows that if you overclock a 5870 it will perform quite close to the 69xx. Meaning that the 69xx cards are a disappointment in performance.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Interesting review, shows that if you overclock a 5870 it will perform quite close to the 69xx. Meaning that the 69xx cards are a disappointment in performance.
    And I do believe that 800 core for the 570 is somewhat low if I take what many 480's can do at strock vgpu.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Or that the 58xx's have been heavily optimized over their life time

Look at 5870 scores at release (they trailed the 4870X2 in a lot of cases) and where they are today (no competition at all whose faster, the 5870 even nips on the 480 in certain cases)

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Still seems rather underwhelming. Guess i'm sticking with my 5870 and just skipping this generation. Maybe there will be a refresh, though.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast