Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x opteron 280 dual core 2.4 ghz + arima mobo + heatsink bulk buy thoughts?

Xtreme Cruncher

2x opteron 280 dual core 2.4 ghz + arima mobo + heatsink bulk buy thoughts?

Hey guys,

We are trying to organize a bulk buy of 2x opteron 280 procs (2.4ghz dual cores with 1mb l2 per core) + the arima mobo + passive heatsinks + 1gb Ram + 1 free 30gb HDD from me!

These will be $60 + Shipping from me to you!

I have 1 K8N-DRE with 2x 275's and it does ~ 9100 ppd average with win 2k8 64-bit so the 280's should do atleast 10k ppd.

These would draw more power, but thats an oc'd i7 PPD for ~ $180

I will be organizing this so if anyone has any questions please feel free to post or pm me!

Thanks,
    Brandon

P.S.

Here is the ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2761.l1259

The Ram does not show up on here, but the seller has commited to 2x 512mb ECC REG Ram for each combo. We need to buy 25 combos to get this pricing. Below is an updated list of Commited buyers etc.

Let's get our crunch on for cheaps!

Commited Buyers:

Name / # of Combos
    firion / 1 atleast maybe 2
    [XC] Luckygriff / 1
    Kryja / 1
    Shaotai / 1
    halykins / 5

Interested Buyers:

Name / # of Combos
    SuperPhrank / 1 to 2
    Shoota / ?

__________________________________________________ ____________
    Commited:9
    Possible: 12

Still Needed: 16
    Last edited by Fhqwhgads6680; 12-28-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Fanboy of Good Products
    unless i'm missing something how does this equal an overclocked i7??

edit: oh i get it, you mean two of these setups added together. sounds interesting but the power required puts me out of the running.
    Last edited by shoota; 12-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    yeah that is the issue with this... the power... but if people have say 65 bucks to throw towards a cruncher that should be able to get you mobo, ram, heatsinks and the 2 procs.

if you have the money an i7 or x6 is going to be much more efficient, but if not, this is even better than the microcenter deal in terms of PPD per dollar (before electric bill ofcourse) my 275 rig pulls about 195w full loaded from the wall.

I am using it to work on my win 2k8 certs which works great for me.

to get them for around $50 shipped though I am thinking we will need to buy about 15-20 of them... haven't finished discussing that with the seller yet.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Fanboy of Good Products
    i'd suggest getting from the seller an exact number required for an exact price. people will want to know exactly what they have to pay.

what's the form factor of the motherboard i couldn't seem to find it
    Last edited by shoota; 12-13-2010 at 03:43 PM.

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    it looks to be EATX it is in the correct orientation and standoff holes look to be in typical places. Ya I am working that out but I want to get a feel for interest of this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok guys, the Seller has agreed to $50 shipped if we can purchase 25 units. That's 2x Opteron 280's, Heatsinks, and Mobo for $50 shipped, I think that is a steal... I am looking at Ram Lots to get it cheap. 2gb would be perfect per machine. I think $75-80 bucks shipped gets you everything but HDD and Case.

I have a TON of 30gb HDD ( I think about 40 or so) that I could throw in for people to sweeten the deal to get people involved in this.

250k PPD for $1250... sounds good to me

Here is my 275 rig's last 7 days:

12/13/10 0:004:09:37:06 9,289 14
    12/12/10 0:003:15:56:12 7,232 10
    12/11/10 0:004:23:15:39 10,268 15
    12/10/10 0:003:17:15:51 7,459 12
    12/9/10 0:004:09:17:28 9,022 14
    12/8/10 0:004:06:30:20 8,594 12
    12/7/10 0:005:10:59:16 11,862 20

7 Day Average: 9104 PPD Average

If you divide that out 9104/2200mhz that is 4.1382 points per mhz so 4.1382 x 2400 = 9932 PPD average
    Last edited by Fhqwhgads6680; 12-13-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Fanboy of Good Products
    that actually is a pretty good deal. i bet Duh will be interested.

i have a question tho. you say shipping is included in the $50, i'm assuming that means all 25 shipped to you and then forwarded on to the rest of us? unless you pay for the shipping that'll be a slightly additional cost but not too bad.

T400 for non-crunching

This sounds like a great deal, I might be interested in 1 or 2.
    Last edited by SuperPhrank; 12-13-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Update guys:

First of all I want to thank Ikiller123 He had won the ECC REG ram that I donated to the give away and he is graciously going to donate 4 Gigs of it to this Bulk buy.

So.. I did some digging and I have another 1gb in the form of 2x 512 sticks so, we have 5 Gigs of ram that I can donate to those that would need this as cheap as possible. First Come first serve so the first 5 that would like to commit to $50 + shipping from me (ohio) to you will get: 2x opteron 280's, Arima mobo, heatsinks, 1GB of ram (may be 2x 512 or 4x 256), and 1 30GB HDD (if you need it, if not just let me know as I am donating them)

ALSO!

I talked to the seller further tonight and he has ram aswell, so he has agreed to the combo plus 2x 512 ECC REG for $60 Shipped!

So if you are in the Continental US from me to you should be between 5-$10 at most.(If you really can't afford the shipping I can try to cover as many as I can to make this happen.) Thats a 10k PPD machine for $65-70 shipped to you! All you need is a PSU and, if desired, a case. Of note, these need a PSU with 24 pin and 8 pin power (you can use a 6pin + 2 of the 4 pin (jamming necessary) or an 8 pin PCI-E + jamming I did the 6-pin + 4pin method on my current 275 rig lol) Adapters can also be easily bought for a few bucks.

Please State how many you can commit to, and if you are 100% commited as I would need all the money upfront to pay the guy via paypal as I cannot afford to pay him myself unfortunately..

I'll List those interested and how many in the first post!

Thanks guys!
    Brandon

I would be in for at least one maybe 2 let us know when to send the money and such
    Last edited by firion; 12-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 | Foxconn A79A-S
    2 HIS 4850's in Crossfire 512mb | 4 Gigs Gskill @1066 Mhz
    2 WD Caviar Black in raid 0 | GMC R2 "Toast"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ill be in for one for sure. Some amd duality fun sounds good for that price. Just let us know when and how you would like the money

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh go on then, I'll take on UK customs again. Sign me up for one

I take it these'll be the new sossas?

Could I nab a hdd and some ram too Fhq?
    Nymph - Xeon 5675 @ 4.1 w/ x2 680
    Ikaros - i7 920 w/ 275 - Build In Progress

Long live LGA1366

Xtreme Cruncher
    awesome, adding you guys to the list! we need more guys! this deal is really hard to beat!

Sure thang Kryja you will get 1gb from me and one of my 30 gb hdd. There are plenty of hdd just state if you want one, and there are 4gb of ram left!

He also may have power supplies, so please state if you'd be interested in a psu for them I am getting pictures from him to see if they are ATX or not.

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryja View Post
    Oh go on then, I'll take on UK customs again. Sign me up for one

I take it these'll be the new sossas?
    no , this isn't exactly a low power system (opteron 280 = 95w TDP)
    a sossaman setup consumes ~88w full load (sossa 2.0 Ghz = 32w TDP ) and does around 8000ppd

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    no , this isn't exactly a low power system (opteron 280 = 95w TDP)
    a sossaman setup consumes ~88w full load (sossa 2.0 Ghz = 32w TDP ) and does around 8000ppd
    True, this can't compete with sossaman for low power, but at this price its very hard to say no. Also Sossaman's don't support 64-bit which I need for server 2008 Exchange environment testing and preparing for mcitp certs.

Come on guys, we need to fill these slots!

i'm in for one, might be fun to play with... how do they run under-volted? :P

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm honestly not sure.. the athlon x2 could be undervolted a good amount if I remember right, but it depends on if this arima board gives the option in the bios. Would you still be in if it doesn't have this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwhgads6680 View Post
    I'm honestly not sure.. the athlon x2 could be undervolted a good amount if I remember right, but it depends on if this arima board gives the option in the bios. Would you still be in if it doesn't have this option?
    Yeah, I think I am still interested...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I checked the manual for this board and there are no under-volting options just a power saver and a cpu speed reduction which are pointless. So honestly this is not worth the power pouring in, the 4x arima quad core gives ya about 30k points in linux which is definitely worth it just you have to deal with linux
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by terramir View Post
    I checked the manual for this board and there are no under-volting options just a power saver and a cpu speed reduction which are pointless. So honestly this is not worth the power pouring in, the 4x arima quad core gives ya about 30k points in linux which is definitely worth it just you have to deal with linux
    terramir
    the arima setup also costs alot more than this rig, isn't good with windows and is finicky. i think for the price this is a great option, don't rain on the parade

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think the Arima 4x4 was like $490 right? that would be almost 8 of these... which would do 80k PPD. These are still a whole lot better than running a P4 or single dual core power wise. No these don't compete with the 4x4 arima or sossaman's for power... but they do compete on initial investment AND PPD. The 8347 which is a 1.9ghz quad chip is 115W TDP x4 is 460W atleast and would do 30k these will pull about 200w or so and do about 10k so really not that far off.

Also these WILL fit into standard cases, which is a big deal for me. I have several rack mount cases and a half rack and would like these systems to be in the cases and on rails for easy maintenance etc... The lack of a case was a big killer for me.

Also can we even get those boards any more? for anywhere near that price? I can't even find the CPU for as cheap as we were getting them at that time.
    Last edited by Fhqwhgads6680; 12-14-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Fanboy of Good Products
    let's not make this an Arima vs. Dual-Opteron contest. These rigs are a great deal, period.

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme crazy bastid
    But I thought e-peen waving was mandatory on XS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I built a similar system, different mobo the K8N-DRE with the 280s. Great system runs like a champ, does about 9k ppd with 64x Ubuntu. I have 2gb of RAM in the system and a 60gb IDE and I put a 400w corsair in it. Here's some pics.

Had to borrow another rigs PSU because firion lent me a bad PSU...

Last edited by durthalion; 12-15-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    But I thought e-peen waving was mandatory on XS
    it IS mandatory! who in their right mind owns a four socket server board made for google?!? lol

Quote Originally Posted by durthalion View Post
    I built a similar system, different mobo the K8N-DRE with the 275s. Great system runs like a champ, does about 9k ppd with 64x Ubuntu. I have 2gb of RAM in the system and a 60gb IDE and I put a 400w corsair in it. Here's some pics.

Had to borrow another rigs PSU because firion lent me a bad PSU...

That's a great looking system. Does the board included in this bulk buy have a pci-e graphics slot?

T400 for non-crunching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast