Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: FCC: 68% of US broadband connections aren't broadband

Xtreme Cruncher
    I had a bandwidth monitor installed for kicks, just casual browsing and downloading stuff I easily went over 100GB/month. If I had tried, I'm sure I could have easily broken 500GB.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    im trying to figure out exaclty what could of been dl in that month to push 1100gigs.

A HD movie that you can buy legit takes up about 1.5gb max(range from 1-1.5)

so thats buying 1,000 HD1080p movies
    thats dl 2000 illegal dvd rips at 600mb give or take
    god knows how many mp3s at 4 meg a song

are you hosting a server from your comcast acc?You fall in the 1% of people abusing there service.In your 1 month you used up more than I have in the past 2 years

1 hour of 720p content is over 2gb in size. HD is not 1.5gb.
    No joke. A full length feature film at 1080p is ~8GB.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 12-18-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    No joke. A full length feature film at 1080p is ~8GB.
    Depends on the codec, can be up to 20GB... And if you want a copy of Blu-Ray itself then it's 25-50GB.
    Imagine you're watching a single 1080p movie every day... Even at 8GB that makes 240GB a month without using the Internet for anything extra at all. With 15GB movies that's already 450GB...
    Last edited by zalbard; 12-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    depends on the codec and bitrate,Iv rented movies off the plastation network and they were around 1 to 1.5 gb each,now the better the quality the closer your going to get to full 25gb bluray,but no one dl those anyways.
    Last edited by Skratch; 12-18-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I had a bandwidth monitor installed for kicks, just casual browsing and downloading stuff I easily went over 100GB/month. If I had tried, I'm sure I could have easily broken 500GB.
    Which one did you use? There's tons out there. I'm curious to check now lol.

Edit:

I downloaded a speed meter which is only measuring upload/download and NOT anything on the local network (streaming from PC to PC etc).

I'm downloading one file on torrents which is giving me about 1mb/sec or less & netflix is streaming an HD movie. That's it.

In a period of 19 minutes, I've downloaded 1.15 gigs.... HOLY ****!
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 12-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    I think I'm gonna install a bandwidth monitor.... I watch a lot of TV Shows and Movies via Netflix...... many of them streaming in 1080. I haven't gotten any letters from my ISP...
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Cruncher
    I forgot which one I had, but it monitored all traffic, local and internet.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I manage to keep under 8 GB/month. And that is with a couple other people using it too, not just me.

Yes, it is hard. Yes, I wish I had more. But, I'm doing well to be able to use 8GB/month given that most on this internet plan (3G aircard) have a 5GB/month limit or expensive extra fees on top. I have no other choice were I live
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

c[_]
    Around here aircard/cell based data plans are 3gb for $60 or so.

depends on the codec and bitrate,Iv rented movies off the plastation network and they were around 1 to 1.5 gb each,now the better the quality the closer your going to get to full 25gb bluray,but no one dl those anyways.
    What if you rent the movie off a website/etc then download (temporarily) the BR off a torrent? Its not really illegal then, is it?

Anyways, I think the point has been sufficiently made: Quality takes up a lot of data

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I pay 265 SEK ($40 USD) a month for 100/10. I get better upload rate than I pay for though (see signature).

Against US servers it's a little worse though. Like this:

E6750@3.6, Gigabyte P35-DQ6, 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500, HIS HD4870, Corsair TX650, Antec P182, Crucial M225 128GB
    965BE@3.9, Gigabyte 790X-UD3P, 2x1GB PC2-8500, HD2900XT, Corsair VX450

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Around here aircard/cell based data plans are 3gb for $60 or so.

What if you rent the movie off a website/etc then download (temporarily) the BR off a torrent? Its not really illegal then, is it?

Anyways, I think the point has been sufficiently made: Quality takes up a lot of data
    It is 100% illegal to rip a bluray disk,the content is encrypted for a reason my friend,it dosnt matter if you own it,the raw data is still illegal to get.

Try and use that in court when they sue you

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Way View Post
    I pay 265 SEK ($40 USD) a month for 100/10. I get better upload rate than I pay for though (see signature).

Against US servers it's a little worse though. Like this:
    Sigh. This is $45 USD a month.

Smile

c[_]
    It is 100% illegal to rip a bluray disk,the content is encrypted for a reason my friend,it dosnt matter if you own it,the raw data is still illegal to get.

Try and use that in court when they sue you
    No, and here is why:

I can produce data all I want. I can put that data in BR medium if I chose. I can choose the rights I wish to have with that data. Someone else is fully legal to "rip" that media from a BR depending on the rights I chose.

Same goes for anyone else who wants to use BR or any high density storage medium. You cant simply say that data is illegal to have if it has come from a BR medium.

Xtreme Addict
    Bottom line is, if you rent a movie, rip it, that is violating not only a copyright agreement, but a rental agreement.

And yes, if you create your own disk and distribute it, you can chose the rights. Everybody knows that, and the Film Makers do too. They choose to keep you from getting something for a nominal price instead of paying for it. Think about it, if you buy a book, copy it, and then distribute it.... You will be sued by the publisher for that.

If you bought a BR, ripped it, and tossed it in the "back up pile" do you really think any one would bother prosecuting you? It wouldn't be worth much. Plus, they couldn't find out until you decide to distribute. Once you distribute someone's work - work that is not yours - then you are in violation of their copyright and they can sue you.

If you worked on something, lets say you wrote a book, and someone started making copies and distributed it for free, you would turn right around.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Bottom line is, if you rent a movie, rip it, that is violating not only a copyright agreement, but a rental agreement.

And yes, if you create your own disk and distribute it, you can chose the rights. Everybody knows that, and the Film Makers do too. They choose to keep you from getting something for a nominal price instead of paying for it. Think about it, if you buy a book, copy it, and then distribute it.... You will be sued by the publisher for that.

If you bought a BR, ripped it, and tossed it in the "back up pile" do you really think any one would bother prosecuting you? It wouldn't be worth much. Plus, they couldn't find out until you decide to distribute. Once you distribute someone's work - work that is not yours - then you are in violation of their copyright and they can sue you.

If you worked on something, lets say you wrote a book, and someone started making copies and distributed it for free, you would turn right around.
    Regards, Stew.....

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post

The point is regardless of medium caps on data are only there to make money off the top end users.

Also I could rent a movie from a service provider but download a higher quality version to watch from somewhere else. Does that break the rental agreement?

also.. getting really close to thread closing territory

Banned
    :

Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-20-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    No, it outlines Federal Powers. It is what created our 3 Branch system. One of those branches created these Administrative bodies, as it had a right to do so as granted by the powers that be. The Legislative Branch creates these Administrative Bodies and gives them the power. They, however, can only affect that which they were created to regulate. Anyone that has taken a Business Law class with 0 practicable abilities still has learned this.

Article I, Section 8.

"To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

Administrative Law is something that the courts uphold.

But lets say that the FCC begins to regulate this, and disbands the Anti-Competitive Agreements. How do you think that this would be remotely unconstitutional to say that "American Citizens should be granted all of the advantages of competition subjected to no Anti-Competitive Agreements."

Gee, that reads like something that came straight out of the "Good Book that the Tea Partiers Never Read."

Federal Law Supersedes State Law, so long as it is not Unconstitutional. I would like to see somebody say that about this.

Its called the Supremacy Clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessa..._Proper_Clause

Belief in boundless power for the Federal Government how quaint.
    Though the founders listed all those powers for a reason. Why would they list all those powers for congress then add a clause that people now interpret as saying...
    You have the power to regulate everything and write laws for everything within the states domain?
    Last edited by Kurz; 12-21-2010 at 06:59 AM.

^^^^
    Click me

Xtreme Member

60/down 6/up

I wonder if what time I'm using it affects my download, as 2/5 test my upload was faster than download.

To add some prices
    internet about 76usd with discounts and before taxes(taxes are about 16%).

edit
    Last edited by Sgt.McRuff; 12-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Motherboard: GigaByte P67UD4 f6 | CPU: Intel 2500k 4.5ghz 1.26v | Memory: GSkill 2x4gb @ 1600mhz 1.34v | PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W | Video: AMD 6970 Koolance water block 880c/1450mem 1.035v | HDD: WD 640gb cavier black: VelociRaptor 300gb: Intel x-25 g2 80gb | Sound: Asus xonar D1 | OS: W7 64bit

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    How do you figure? It cost them a good bit of money to implement and maintain SDV and they only did it because they ran out of bandwidth completely. I doubt they would do that if they had "LOADS" to spare. Maybe you mean at the actual ISP level, sure they have plenty of bandwidth, but the problem is getting it to people's homes over their old copper lines. If they actually had the bandwidth it wouldn't be a Ponzi scheme, it's a Ponzi scheme because they oversold the bandwidth they can distribute by such a large amount and simply banked on their users never wanting to use their bandwidth at the same time.
    How I figure is this, as one example:

"...as Andrew Odlyzko, a professor at the University of Minnesota and former AT&T Labs researcher, argues, “there is no evidence of wireline Internet traffic growing so fast as to require intrusive traffic interference to control it. … traffic growth rates have been declining, to levels slower than the rate of improvement of latest transmission equipment.”

and,

"Sandvine, an Ontario-based network services company, found that in the August-September 2010 period, North Americans gobbled up only one-third as much broadband video as users in the Asia-Pacific region; North Americans consumed an estimated 4 Gigabytes per month of Internet bandwidth whereas those in Asia-Pacific region used 12 Gigabytes."

http://www.alternet.org/media/149289...now_it/?page=3

The telecoms have always used the excuse of "high congestion" to keep rates artificially high or raise them. They also agreed in the Telecom Act of 1996 to installing FO/high-speed networks across the country. Hasn't happened yet because FCC doesn't force them to their end of the deal. If they have a copper bandwidth problem, they could get FO on the ISP-to-user end (like they have with their backbones) and make it affordable. Cost or return on investment is no excuse, because in the '96 Act, they also got the long-distance pie, and they receive gov't subsidies and tax breaks galore. They are swimming in profits.

AT&T alone has 500+ paid lobbyists in D.C. They are the largest campaign giver since records of campaign money has been kept. That doesn't count any of the other big fish. They can afford infrastructure expenditures.

But the telecoms are making tons of money the way things are. They figure why should they invest in infra unless they're made to? And with the FCC board members having worked for the telecom industry (or planning to return to them when they leave gov't), and with the recent Net Neutrality vote at FCC, the telecoms have that agency in their back pockets.
    Last edited by aztec; 12-22-2010 at 07:54 PM.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Cruncher
    between my wife and I we break the 125gb mark every month on our connection, I don't p2p anymore, streaming netflix ftw our average seems to be about 175gb per month
    CPU Q6600 @ 3.15Ghz D-tek CPU Block
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R 350Mhz FSB
    RAM G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-2GBHK DDR2 1066
    GPU Nvidia 8800GT MCW-60 700Mhz Core 1.0 GHz Mem
    PSU Cooler Master realPower 550W
    Storage 3 500 GB WD Caviar SE16 in RAID 0 + 300gb WD
    Misc. CM stacker STC-T01 w/ Cross-flow fan, 2 MCR-320 Rads, DCC 355 W/ Petras Top, 12 YateLoon D12SL-12, ~12ft Tygon 9/16 ID tubing

Crunching for [XS]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Blu-ray is just a storage medium, the material on them doesn't have to be copyrighted.
    You're such a comedian

Either way I think there should always be an option to download in .mkv because I've tried both blu-ray and mkv on my tv and I have to sit too close to the tv to notice anything different.

Blu-ray = lots of wasted bandwidth.

As for my connection.
    downspeed capped at 30 Mbps
    upspeed capped at 1.25 Mbps
    traffic/month capped at 100 GB

That in combination with digital tv, dvr, basic phoneline & mobile costs me about $90

ps :
    Just a note for a few people here, b = bit and B = byte, stop confusing the hell out of me please :o
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Xtreme Enthusiast

They have a 500gb warning limit if you do it everymonth.most people on here can't even download 500gb in one month even if they tried to 24/7.
    500gb? I do around 10-15 TB per month consistently

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    500gb? I do around 10-15 TB per month consistently
    you download 500gigs a day?

hope you dont get sued bro,also what speed tier do you have?Im on comcasts fastest and cant do that even if I tried.

You would have to average like constant 6MB megabyts a second to pull that off,are you on a 100mb tier?

to word it so some that get confused with the mb,MB,Mb ect.

I can powerboost 200MB in about 1 min,12gigs in an hour,288 gigs in 1 day,thats 8tera a month!!!
    even if I could power boost 24/7 with my 60mb connection I still cant get anywhere near what you hit in a month

so do you have like a 180mb/second tier?
    Last edited by Skratch; 12-23-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you download 500gigs a day?

hope you dont get sued bro,also what speed tier do you have?Im on comcasts fastest and cant do that even if I tried.

You would have to average like constant 6MB megabyts a second to pull that off,are you on a 100mb tier?

to word it so some that get confused with the mb,MB,Mb ect.

I can powerboost 200MB in about 1 min,12gigs in an hour,288 gigs in 1 day,thats 8tera a month!!!
    even if I could power boost 24/7 with my 60mb connection I still cant get anywhere near what you hit in a month

so do you have like a 180mb/second tier?
    I'm on Verizon Fios 50mb tier(roughly 23 gigs/hour), all the bandwidth goes to the project in my sig and then some for newsgroups No data caps whatsoever and I've been running majestic-12 for about 3 years now. I can see why Verizon spent the $23 billion to upgrade their infrastructure, sorry cable!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast