Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Finding, Person to Person

Xtreme Addict

Help Finding, Person to Person

Hey,
    I've heard going subzero for benching can require two people usually. I haven't done my first bench session yet and I'm sure I'd need help. Is there some way I can find others in my area that would be up for helping me, or a way that I can volunteer to assist them? The only people in my city that have any real connection to overclocking are high-end air coolers... my liquid cooled setup is the talk of the town (60,000 people) and I'd love to find someone that I can bear listening to
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe if you have four gpus, two cpus, and a north bridge to cool. I just started ln2 two months ago, and it was a little harried in the beginning but I eventually got the hang of it.
    Mobo: eVGA x58 Classified (759)
    CPU: i7-990x
    GPU: 2xGTX 580
    Cooling: F1 Gemini/Tek-9 Fat LN2 | 12k BTU Chiller HK 3.0/DD Water Block
    RAM: 3 x 2gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracers
    HD: OCZ LE SSD 100GB | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Monitor: Dell 2707 LCD

I am Xtreme
    if you have the f1ee...it usually works great for just one person.......some other pots need more attention..

lots of experienced guys around here...

if you got questions...we can do messenger....im on the road at the moment so ..i can respond timely..

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks Hondacity, I'll get a PM out to you in a bit.

I'll just be doing one pot CPU overclocking with dry ice [for now] so I guess there isn't so much a requirement to have another person around, but it'd be preferred because I'm completely new to actually passing 4.2GHz with stability... but I'm not really into the idea of buying a TEC or Phase Change system just for benchmarks. I just want someone who can see what I see... maybe I could get a webcam or something to watch what I'm doing and the screen.

Now the theme of this thread was somewhat aimed towards getting in contact with locals who would be able to assist... so no one really knows of some way to accomplish this?

So the F1EE is basically the standard pot? It doesn't seem like K|ngp|n sells it anymore, but instead sells the F1 Gemini. Is this basically the same thing? So it'd be easy for a beginner to subzero? And what about the Koolance pot?
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Gemini replaced the F1EE. The heavy base on the Gemini ~= F1EE in terms of response and mass. Benching solo is no challenge but make sure you insulate appropriately. That will make or break your session.

I am Xtreme
    phase changers.....most owners have experienced problems....cost of repairing and sending those units back is crazy.....

i bench with another guy...it does help....but with the right pot...i love benching alone with cpus now.

dice will push most intel core cpus over 5ghz...

Xtreme Addict
    So I'm not so set cash-wise to start benching, but it won't be too long. I have to finish my i7 rig so if I have troubles after benching the Phenom X4 955, I still have a computer. I don't know of any dry ice retailers around ... I heard party stores have it? I know of a balloon store, but I can't recall seeing a real general party store. I did see a dry ice retailer in Michigan, so I know it's a legitimate business.

When I do get benching, it'll probably be SuperPi as I want to get some simple benchmarks in before dealing with variable loads like 3DMark, etc... When I do start benching, is there a way I can use a webcam to broadcast to multiple people over Skype or am I limited to just one?

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Yea, when you're starting out sub-zero, start with a CPU alone I wouldn't advise anyone enters the world of sub-zero with LN2, too many new things at once. It does sound like you've not entirely nailed down the process, so i'd deffo suggest dice

Theres a guide to dice in practice here:

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=461

I've done 95% of my benching alone. First time with dice scared the hell out of me, I didn't sleep the night before
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Yea, when you're starting out sub-zero, start with a CPU alone I wouldn't advise anyone enters the world of sub-zero with LN2, too many new things at once. It does sound like you've not entirely nailed down the process, so i'd deffo suggest dice

Theres a guide to dice in practice here:

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=461

I've done 95% of my benching alone. First time with dice scared the hell out of me, I didn't sleep the night before
    K404's right on with that advice. I started with sub-zero chilled liquid with a home made A/C chiller (-30c)....fully learned that and how sub-zero interacted with my particular hardware, then made the jump to LN2. And the learning curve from ambient water to chiller liquid was hugh, just as chilled liquid to LN2 was hugh.
    Mobo: eVGA x58 Classified (759)
    CPU: i7-990x
    GPU: 2xGTX 580
    Cooling: F1 Gemini/Tek-9 Fat LN2 | 12k BTU Chiller HK 3.0/DD Water Block
    RAM: 3 x 2gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracers
    HD: OCZ LE SSD 100GB | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Monitor: Dell 2707 LCD

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I had I think 2 sessions with dry ice before jumping into LN2. Dry ice is such a pain in the ass compared to LN2

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Dice is a walk in the park, it's just you

I still remember my first phase unit, back in the Winchester AMD days
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Dice is a walk in the park, it's just you

I still remember my first phase unit, back in the Winchester AMD days
    Ugh. Crushing the ice(we get it in 10lb bricks), having to gently put it into the pot, the acetone spilling over and destroying a keyboard, the headaches from the acetone fumes and the nightmare of a CPU with a coldbug around -60C. Nah, it's the dry ice

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Ugh. Crushing the ice(we get it in 10lb bricks), having to gently put it into the pot, the acetone spilling over and destroying a keyboard, the headaches from the acetone fumes and the nightmare of a CPU with a coldbug around -60C. Nah, it's the dry ice
    Note to self: Get extension cables for the keyboard.

I'll have 2 230mm fans dedicated to disippating the CO2 fog and the fumes as they really have nothing better to do. Do the Phenoms have coldbugs?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Note to self: Get extension cables for the keyboard.

I'll have 2 230mm fans dedicated to disippating the CO2 fog and the fumes as they really have nothing better to do. Do the Phenoms have coldbugs?
    Phenom II has no CB or CBB for most chips. You'll be 100% ok on dry ice.

Xtreme Addict
    Phenom II has no CB or CBB for most chips. You'll be 100% ok on dry ice.
    What's CBB? Cold bug boot?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Yup Lookit you, already picking up the lingo

Xtreme Addict
    Yup Lookit you, already picking up the lingo
    1 down, many more to go. I think I'll dedicate this month and a half to learning all I can about subzero cooling, the lingo, and the procedures.

Xtreme Addict
    I need your guys' opinions. I could either

-Start doing some dry ice with my Phenom in February or
    -Wait to hear Bulldozer pricing and, if the price is in budget, sell my Phenom setup and buy some Bulldozer equipment.

The main reason I'm hesitant with doing dry ice in February is that I've got a sorta-budget board and some low-speed G.Skill RAM in it and I feel like that either might hold me back or make my scores uninteresting. I'll link the RAM and mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128387
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

EDIT:
    Another option, I could start buying stuff that used to be top-quality at low prices and put that under dry ice. That way I don't have to worry so much about the health of the system.
    Last edited by ScottALot; 01-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Dice is easy been doing that for a bit anything from a phenom 945 es chip to 955be prerelease and so on. I have used cheap alum pots as well as nice ones and it makes a world of difference I love my N3RO copper pot

Xtreme Addict
    Alright I decided to sell my current setup. When Bulldozer comes out, I'll snatch up one of their chips (depending on price, probably a Black Edition) and a board. Do you think they'll release sets of memory that are optimized for Bulldozer like they did for SB?

NooB MOD
    I'm with gomeler on this one, I went straight from air to LN2 and a while later tried DI. I almost died of boredom that time
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah but I don't know where to get ln 2 locally... Actually I don't know where to get dice either, but it sounds like dice is more Common.the only place I can think of to go is the local hospital.

Xtreme Addict
    Also, don't you need a bunch of equipment for containing the LN2? AFAIK, dIce only needs a Styrofoam box or something.

Xtreme Member
    Ln2 requires a dewar. Typically, dewars the most expensive part ranging from $150 to $500.

I would definitely run DIce first. I just glanced through this thread but to sum things up on my end:

1. One only person is necessary. It would help to have another, but is not required.
    2. I've seen a lot of talk of this; acetone does not evaporate at -70*C so fumes are only there are room temp.
    3. I've seen talk elsewhere that the F1EE isn't a good DIce pot. That's totally false. I ran it today for the first time an i7 920 (a very high leakage one) and temps were great.
    4. I've only ever seen the older silicon and Evga 1366 boards CB on DIce. Phenom II's, C2D and C2Q, 1366, 1156 are all perfectly fine to run on Dice, with the correct board.

Best of luck. Once you get this frosty afterwards, you will be hooked.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceCoats123 View Post
    Ln2 requires a dewar. Typically, dewars the most expensive part ranging from $150 to $500.

I would definitely run DIce first. I just glanced through this thread but to sum things up on my end:

1. One only person is necessary. It would help to have another, but is not required.
    2. I've seen a lot of talk of this; acetone does not evaporate at -70*C so fumes are only there are room temp.
    3. I've seen talk elsewhere that the F1EE isn't a good DIce pot. That's totally false. I ran it today for the first time an i7 920 (a very high leakage one) and temps were great.
    4. I've only ever seen the older silicon and Evga 1366 boards CB on DIce. Phenom II's, C2D and C2Q, 1366, 1156 are all perfectly fine to run on Dice, with the correct board.

Best of luck. Once you get this frosty afterwards, you will be hooked.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of, a Dewar. I can't even find used ones below 150$.

Right. LN2 does seem to be pretty simple, but I want to see if I'm going to be hooked on sub-zero before I start spending bigger bucks.

1. Good. However, I still would enjoy having someone on a Skype call or something with me. This is pretty easy because I can either have a laptop or my 24/7 rig dedicated to the call while I bench. An exclusive live stream, just so I don't have to call it "Halp meh I'm scared".
    2. Thank God for that. I hate acetone fumes enough when my sister is removing nail polish.
    3. Whatever pot can get 'decent' (it's going to be pretty even if I use a plastic cup haha) temps while remaining pretty low-budget I'd love to get my hands on. Anyone have a used pot for sale?
    4. Well hopefully Bulldozer doesn't have CB. This reminds me of something else: Should I jump for the first generation of boards that come out, or wait a little longer? I don't remember what it was, but Sandy Bridge 1st gen boards had some sort of design flaw and I don't want to be benching with that.

Want. The. Frost.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast