Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: P67A-UD7 Most In-Depth Preview/Review!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    digital vrms are not slower at transient response or error correction than analog ones per se - it all comes down to open and closed loop performance rather than the digital "delays". Without scope shots such statements of global performance potential are grossly misleading.
    Aren't most of these motherboard vrms closed loop? I took the faster response from the GB slide shows, as far as i can tell theoverclockermagazine article backs it up, now i do not know if that is in comparision to older digital systems or even newer ones, i doubt it will make a difference in performance of the system after actually using all the boards. If the difference is different than what I said and confirmed by a third party(NOT ASUS, NOT GIGABYTE, NOT MSI) I will retract my statments. If a site like hardwarecanucks or one of the better ones(I don't trust anand). Post proof from a credible source, I know amny epople here are very partial to ASUS, and I was too until i tried Gigabyte, 3 months in and i am a changed person i have an opened mind.

Maybe when NDA is up and more documents are released, we can get a look at the new digital PWM systems, needless to say VRD12 shoudl be very interesting read, as the new VRD12 certification seems very hard to produce.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    In any decent power supply the closed loop (feedback compensation) is tailored around open loop gain. Without hard figures relating to bandwidth and such, one can't conclude one system to be any faster than the other, it's bollox. I never pay too much credence to slides for the simple reason that they gloss over facts.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 12-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I agree with you on that, the reason I used their slides is because its a review on this board, and that was Gigabyte's info on the board. What I based my sentence on response, was based on the fact that straight hardware response would be faster than a system based on firmware and ADCs, opposed to a system with one or two DACs for DVID and SVID. Digital PWMs do also used DAC for DVID, in the past I don't know this has changed, never the less overclocks don't use DVID that much. I said what i said based on pure hardware design, the rest of any digital or analog VRM is pretty much the same, apart from a few other things. of course theory is not always on point, but it does carry some if not a lot of weight. I think for these boards, as long as the manufacturer invest time and money into the system, it should perform the same, not one better than another.

When i write future articles i will keep it neutral.

Since I am a relative novice compared to most on this site. I appreciate all info on Sandy bridge and the new P67 boards. I want to try my hand at a water cooled Sandy bridge once it is out and prices settle in a little. Plus I want to see some of the performance reviews.

Thanks for all information and opinions by all.
    E8400 Oc'd to 4.2GHz Max (Not 24/7)
    Thermalright IFX-14 Air Cooler (2 Ultra Kaze Fans)
    GA-EP45-UD3P
    GTX 280 Video Card Oc'd to 700Hz Core
    4GB G.Skill PC2 8500 CAS 5
    80GB VelociRaptor soon to try 3 in Raid 0
    Coolermaster COOLER MASTER HAF 922 Mid Tower
    Corsair 850TX

I am Xtreme
    Yea I will have a performance review soon, I think you should wait till release to make any decisions.

I have never ever seen such an in depth motherboard review. Great read -- this is amazing work! I learned a lot.

I am Xtreme
    actually my X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 review is a litte more in depth, because its not under NDA hahah, I am just messing with you, thanks for the compliment.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    I agree with you on that, the reason I used their slides is because its a review on this board, and that was Gigabyte's info on the board. What I based my sentence on response, was based on the fact that straight hardware response would be faster than a system based on firmware and ADCs, opposed to a system with one or two DACs for DVID and SVID. Digital PWMs do also used DAC for DVID, in the past I don't know this has changed, never the less overclocks don't use DVID that much. I said what i said based on pure hardware design, the rest of any digital or analog VRM is pretty much the same, apart from a few other things. of course theory is not always on point, but it does carry some if not a lot of weight. I think for these boards, as long as the manufacturer invest time and money into the system, it should perform the same, not one better than another.

When i write future articles i will keep it neutral.
    That is the problem right there, all you did was repeat what was placed into marketing slides and accepted it as the truth, when in fact if you had put the board under a scope to verify those claims you would not have written your conclusions. In fact you left out the direct yet wrong comparisons to current Digital PWM setups plus the innuendos. I have held off posting the scope shots but at this point I think it is best to show the results, as they say, the truth will set you free.

In addition, tell me how Gigabyte is interfacing with the now digital SVID setup on Sandy Bridge with their analog setup? Umm, see a ADC in there for conversion?
    Last edited by bingo13; 12-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.

I am Xtreme
    most likely a DAC digital to analogue converter not a analogue to digital, just like DVID uses a DAC in analogue and digital PWMs. FYI there are about 2 ADC in digital PWMs, an analogue pwm might have 1 DAC for DVID and maybe another for SVID as well but idk. I do know that Digital PWMs of the past, Chil to be exact used DAC for DVID as well.

Also Digital PWM it seems have a single pwm generator that controls all phases, analogue has single pwm per channel(phase). I am glad ASUS is doing well, just put it in your own threads. Let people mention it in their reviews. Gigabyte provided me a media kit, and so I can take from it, just like all of the other previews did. In theory a Digital PWM shoudl be superior, but there are some problems that plagued previous generations, I hope you guys have fixed them! I really do! I think maybe Chil has fixed a lot of problems!

Anyways yes I did use their slides, but I also read and did my homework. I read the article on overclocker magazine where the compared the evga classified's volterra digital vrm to the UD7 24 phase. I got datasheets galore, i read many articles and published papers on digital PWMs. Now I based by conclusion on that, not current system, you wouldn't give me a motherboard to test. I said what I said becuase what Gigabyte had stated matched what i researched, if you want links I can provide them.

Either way you really need to do your job, FYI yea ASUS posting marketing things "scope shots" I have market slides with scope shots (not on same topic)as well. Showing exactly how well 24 phase power handles transient spikes and loadline, but I said digital pwm does it better, didn't i?. Oh yes I did, i said that was one of Digital PWMs pros. So you are saying that Gigabyte's claims are false, the Asus's Marketing Manager aka "bingo13" is saying they are false. gotcha. Any post shots you post will be invalidated by the mere fact that would could have done anything to skew the results they woudl have as much worth as Gigabyte's slides, because you don't just put something down and do the exact same thing. Its called hypocriticism.

In my next article i was going to leave transient response out of it, because it is up in the air, if I am not sure. I was going to mention that Digital PWMs have come a long way, I was going to change my attitude, please do not really really burn yourself while trying to burn me.

FYI do what you want, I doubt people will see them 5 pages into a thread, I didn't know so many people would read my whole preview and then read all the comments, but when you do post them, please explain VRD 12 certification as well as well as let everyone know this wasn't done by a third party, it was done by you trying to prove me wrong. BTW if I was you the professional thing to do is tell Gigabyte and ask for their response, as I have not. i am telling you I don't work for Gigabyte. BTW I don't think their offices open until the 29th, but I see no reason for you to be professional, you haven't been throughout this thread.

Anyways I have a lot of things to do, have fun Gary, good luck with your boards.

Xtreme Addict
    Aren't most of these motherboard vrms closed loop? I took the faster response from the GB slide shows, as far as i can tell theoverclockermagazine article backs it up....
    LOL, the testing for that article was done by an Intersil representative.

I am Xtreme
    Well actually I heard he isn't. I heard that he used to work for interstill, both ways at least he knows his stuff, and with a real journalist present there would be no false data. You say i am a gigabyte representative, but that is infact not correct, in no way shape or from do i work for them. i am a journalist doing my duty, and hell i don't even make ad money.

Xtreme Member
    eagerly awaiting the expiration of the NDA so we can get into the guts of these boards. Motherboard selection is the one thing I haven't decided upon yet, everything else is ordered. Basically down to asus maximus vs UD7. The inclusion of EFI on the asus, how the pci express lanes are directed (I've read not all of them go through the nforce 200 controller on the asus) and the whole analog vs digital PWM will be among the things I'll be watching and researching. I'd love to have a full 16x lane that comes right from the CPU, and 2 other 16x lanes that go through the controller, though I hear people saying it's actually 8x/16x/16x when you do tri-sli on asus. Also how the peripherals are routed.. do those sata 6 drives take away pci express bandwidth from the gpu, things like that.
    Last edited by dissident; 12-31-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Intel i7 2600K @4.??, Asus P67 Pro Mobo
    noctua nd-d14 - Cooler Master HAF 932
    Geforce GTX470 - 16GB Ram G.Skill RIPJAWS
    128GB Crucial Solid state drive, and a few 2TB drives
    60 inch samsung LCD LN60C630
    ---

Lenovo t60p - Core 2 duo T7200
    2GB RAM - 120GB hard drive
    ATI x1400 - fingerprint reader, NMB keyboard, etc.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    LOL, the testing for that article was done by an Intersil representative.
    At the time he wrote that article, he was intern. Not representative.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

I am Xtreme
    dissedent idk how much of that asus PCI-E bandwidth stuff is true, But please let you tell you this, there are ONLY 16 lanes of PCI-E from the chip, so if you ran ONE card at 16x you couldn't run any others unless it went through the NF200 making it 32x. I don't think the writer of that article has any idea what he is talking about. There is no way to run more than 32 lanes with only one nf200.

Notice no VRD12 certification either for VRM.

Neither one shoudl have SATA6G or USB3 interfer with PCI-E of the GPU. At least on the UD7 they do not because they run off the PCHs bandwidth then to the CPU through DMI.

Also their BIOSes are VERY wierd, idk who the heck told him to post that OCing article but its all wrong.

1.55v? I have seen electron migration at 1.55v on these processors.
    There is another voltage that helps lower vcore.
    Why enabled C1E and EIST? that is so odd never heard of that and I tried it, unstable. Maybe UEFI bios problem.
    I seriously think the guy needs to re-evaluate his use of the word Turbo. And BTW its turbo mode 2.0 not turbo mode.
    Last edited by sin0822; 12-31-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When is your review going live?

I am Xtreme
    my NDA is still on, i was told the 6th but I am rechecking. I have all the benches done for x58 vs p67 in all areas, SATA6g to sli. OCing cpus clock for clock. I am waiting for the flag to be lowered.

Cpu PLL unlock doesn't affect me, i have only d1 steppers, don't pity me... lol

Xtreme Member
    my NDA is still on, i was told the 6th but I am rechecking. I have all the benches done for x58 vs p67 in all areas, SATA6g to sli. OCing cpus clock for clock. I am waiting for the flag to be lowered.

can't wait for some clock for clock numbers!

a number of P67 board reviews are out already

also, cool info massman, I've used DICE once so far lol air and an H50 other than that
    If I forget to say it, Thank You

As of 9-12-2013: Core i7 920 D0 / EVGA X58 SLI / Corsair Dominator 3x4G 2000MHz CL9 / GTX 460 1GB / HX750 / CoolerMaster Hyper N520 / Acer 23" 1080p TV
    To Be DICE'd: GA-EP45-UD3R F12, 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC, Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7500/E7400's/Pentium Ds/Celeron Ds/Pentium4s under a man-made CopperPot (w/ manuf. Copper NB pot)

I am Xtreme
    Yea i know they are out LOL, I have to abide by the rules though.
    I have also used around 0, at max multi it hates it, step down one multi it loves it. LOL love and hate.

Xtreme Guru

Email me those suckers

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

I am Xtreme
    which ones? lol

Xtreme Guru

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Did is the latest version of the BIOS contains the UEFI BIOS, as in the new motherboards Asus and MSI P67 chipset-based ????
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 PL
    Case: Tracer
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    Memory: 2GB Patriot DDR2 PC6400
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+@2.89 GHz
    GPU: MSI NX8800GTS@575/850/1350
    Hard Drive: SAMSUNG HD252HJ (232 GB)
    Seagate ST380815AS (74 GB)
    CD/DVD Drive: Toshiba-Samsung TS-H553A SATA
    PSU: Tracer 4life silent 400w
    Monitor: LG Flatron 775FT
    Mouse: A4 Tech X750F
    Mousepad: Steelseries QcK
    Headset: iBox HP-9600MV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I do not think Giga boards will have EFI. Asus' do. Does any one know the expected pricing on these boards?
    Modded Cosmos. | Maximus II Formula. Bios 1307| 2x2 Mushkin XP ASCENT 8500 | Q9550-E0- 4.10 + TRUE | Visiontek HD4870X2 | LN32A550 1920x1080 | X-FI Extreme Gamer | Z5300E | G15v.1 | G7 | MX518 | Corsair HX1000 | X25-MG2 80G | 5xHDD

I am Xtreme
    these boards will have uefi they have the hardware, and already have the bootloader for using 3+tb hdds.

And no not yet.

Xtreme Guru
    these boards will have uefi they have the hardware, and already have the bootloader for using 3+tb hdds.

And no not yet.
    Sin still waiting for that email mate

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast