Thread: dell recovery disc question

Xtreme Addict

dell recovery disc question

so here's the deal. I have a dell lattitude d620 laptop that did not come with a recovery disc. My mom has a d620 with the disc. Can I use that disc on my laptop, even if they were specced with different gpus, one having bluetooth, etc? How does it know the windows licesnse key
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Ugly
    This lead to the unfortunate incident regarding the family dog spilling my beer.. rest in peace Lassie.. rest in peace.

Xtreme Addict
    anyone?
    This lead to the unfortunate incident regarding the family dog spilling my beer.. rest in peace Lassie.. rest in peace.

Banned
    you probaly have the option to make a recovery disc in your start menu, make a disc/USB then boot from that

Xtreme Addict
    the drive is actually cleared already which is why I was wondering

Xtreme Cruncher
    yes you can use any windows disk to reload the operating system. provided it is the right version (OEM, Retail, or Corporate). A D620... I assume XP Pro OEM. as long as you got your key, any XP Pro OEM disk will work.
    Dont bother with Dell's disks, unless you like the extra BS software, but it should work if its the same version. As for licensing, Dell disks all use a Volume License key built in, so you never have to input it. reload with a normal disk, you will have to input the key.
    You will need to download your own drivers of course, but Dell's site is easy to use...
    Black Ultra Aluminus case
    Intel Q6600 @3.6ghz
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    XFX Radeon 5770
    1TB Samsung F3 (boot)
    Windows 7 Pro
    Watercooling: Swiftech GTZ, 320QP with yates, D5 and Black PrimoFlex LRT tubing

6+ years and still running strong!! Not the most Xtreme anymore, but ya gotta do what the budget says ya gotta do!

Xtreme Addict
    so the recovery disc with my moms computer, did dell ship every d620 with those identical discs, or did each one(or each group of them) have a different volume license key on them?

is it illegal to torrent a copy of the oem xp pro disc if i have a valid key?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
    so the recovery disc with my moms computer, did dell ship every d620 with those identical discs, or did each one(or each group of them) have a different volume license key on them?

is it illegal to torrent a copy of the oem xp pro disc if i have a valid key?
    it is most likely a newer software version, but the same version of windows, all dells run the same Volume License key, i have seen it on laptops and desktops.
    As long as you have a valid key, i don't see any problem downloading a copy of XP install media from you place of choice. I have had to do it for the same reason for XP Media Center and Tablet editions. If you really want to be safe you will remove any extra files that were added to the .ISO after its downloaded...

Also if anyone on here has an .ISO the will let you download, that would be awesome! My bandwidth sucks else i would...

Also have you checked the product key on the bottom of the machine and verified it is XP Pro?
    Black Ultra Aluminus case
    Intel Q6600 @3.6ghz
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    XFX Radeon 5770
    1TB Samsung F3 (boot)
    Windows 7 Pro
    Watercooling: Swiftech GTZ, 320QP with yates, D5 and Black PrimoFlex LRT tubing

6+ years and still running strong!! Not the most Xtreme anymore, but ya gotta do what the budget says ya gotta do!

Xtreme Member
    If the machine came with the same version of windows,and has a valid key attached you should be fine.
    I know this was the way XP dell disc worked ,not sure about Vista/win7.

Most dell disk (os disk)should be the same no key required(this only applies to dell)
    the driver disk and application disk will be machine specific.
    PH II 550 x2@X4B50 3.2 1.35v
    M4A79X-EVO
    2x2 corsair 1600 Dominator
    LITE-ON 16X DVD BURNER
    HIS 5770
    swiftech mcr220,apogee gt,mcw30,mcp655,micro-res
    PCP&C 610 silencer
    black stacker 810