Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Wants To Take Your Caps Lock Away

I am Xtreme

Google Wants To Take Your Caps Lock Away

They should replace the caps lock key with common sense. The caps lock key back in the day made a good toggle key for games.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/12/go...aps-lock-away/

It looks like Google is pulling a Steve Jobs with Chrome: They are going to eliminate the Caps Lock key from all the notebooks made for that operating system. Why? Because they know better and we are all idiots.

According to Google, this will improve the quality of the comments, because people will not be able to write all in capital letters. I’m not a fan of the caps lock key myself. I never use it, so it can go to hell, for all I’m concerned. But taking away choice from people is not good, especially when this is not going to improve the quality of comments.

First, PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO WRITE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT IN CAPITALS. See, my left pinky did that, not the cap locks.

then, people would be able to write all without using any caps at all, which i find just as annoying as writing all in caps. maybe the next step is to enforce proper capitalisation for all text fields. and is google also going to forbid the unnecessary repetition of exclamation and interrogation marks!!!!!!?????

At the end, improving the quality of comments doesn’t depend on the caps lock key. People who virtually rise their voices and insult on the internet will continue to do so. What really improves the quality is moderation and, ultimately, education.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Guru
    all capitals is not ok

no caps at all is not ok

You Can All Go Fook Yourselves

Clearly just a space-saving feature as it's not a commonly used key. Gizmodo hyping up non-news with snarky comments as usual, move along folks nothing to see here..
    Phenom II X4 965
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    G.Skill ECO 1600CL7
    Radeon HD 4850 Crossfire
    150GB Raptor OS drive
    2x500GB Hitachi data drives

Xtremeish
    The intention of the removal is utterly silly, the removal in itself is not. I don't ever use this button, I wont miss it and I think many in here has similar THOUGHTS.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

lol,

At the end, improving the quality of comments doesn’t depend on the caps lock key. People who virtually rise their voices and insult on the internet will continue to do so. What really improves the quality is moderation and, ultimately, education.
    he's perfectly right

btw, it helps foreign languages go english without having to on going press windows alt+shift back and forth, pretty useful :P.
    Last edited by muzambique; 12-08-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    They intend to replace it with a search key. I dunno about you guys but I google way more than i use caps. Good move IMO
    source

I am Xtreme
    Heck, sure, why not. Sounds like a good idea!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtremeish
    Interesting!

Especially if one could assign different search engines to different letters. I already use this in Opera and its very practical.
    (Like: W-Wikipedia G-Google E-Ebay Y-Youtube and P for po.... NO! bad, stop it!)
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Would this move impact programming languages?
    ASUS Rampage III Gene - i7940 - 6GB Corsair Dominators 1600 - HIS HD 5870 - Seasonic x650 - Intel 80GB G2 - SuperTalent 60GB GX2 - Seagate 1.5 TB Green - LanGear DaBox

Xtreme Addict
    Great, so if I press by mistake the key my browser will open a new window and take me out of whatever I was working on.
    Wow so good.

I want my caps lock key.

And I'm shocked at the fact that this as.sh.ol.es ignore that you need a caps lock key if you don't want to break your pinky when using some SQL servers.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    all capitals is not ok

no caps at all is not ok

Lol epic fail, the forum fixed it for you .
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

Xtreme Member
    So they are replacing Caps Lock with a button that makes them money, really? ...
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I for one use capslock quite often (drafting standards in our college (at the very least) is to write in all caps for ease of reading)
    Current System:
    eVGA 680i SLi "A2" P30 BIOS
    intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (currently at stock)
    OCZ ReaperX 4GB DDR2 1000 (running at DDR2 800 Speeds with cas4)
    320GB Seagate 7200.10
    XFX 8800GT XXX 512MB (stock clocks)
    auzentech X-Fi Prelude
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Copper
    Win XP Pro

Xtreme Addict

thanks to google, i might become that much harder for thousands of friendless morons to show the internets how cool they really are.

this really doesn't matter, i did apply for a consumer version of the laptop though it looks like a far less useful/powerful version of a macbook.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    Great, so if I press by mistake the key my browser will open a new window and take me out of whatever I was working on.
    Wow so good.

I want my caps lock key.

And I'm shocked at the fact that this as.sh.ol.es ignore that you need a caps lock key if you don't want to break your pinky when using some SQL servers.
    QFT. Anyone who works with technology should hate this change. There are just times when you will be using caps for stretches and it's faster to use it as a toggle.

Plus launching a browser if your pinky slips on the "A" is full of bother, especially on an unusually small board (as would be found in a netbook).

It's not that I even mind the idea (no serious work should be done on a netbook), but that I'm afraid of it catching on. 98% of the population really doesn't need it, but those of us that do want it really want it.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^ Is that "Cruse" done as an intended misspelling for mocking people who use it?
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    all capitals is not ok

no caps at all is not ok

Capitals for some, minature American flags for others!
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Xtreme Addict
    First, PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO WRITE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT IN CAPITALS. See, my left pinky did that, not the cap locks.
    Learn to type buddy. I tried it with my left pinky and got this: "PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE aBLE TO WRITE aS MUCH aS THEY WaNT IN CaPITaLS".

I don't mind changing it into a search key. Caps lock does still have use, but it could be implemented as CTRL+ or FN+ search.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Interesting!

Especially if one could assign different search engines to different letters. I already use this in Opera and its very practical.
    (Like: W-Wikipedia G-Google E-Ebay Y-Youtube and P for po.... NO! bad, stop it!)
    That wouldn't be so bad. I get sick of clicking the drop-down to switch between Google and Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    Wow so good.
    Sounds worse than the Windows key.

Also, it will be really annoying having to hold down Shift.

Xtreme Addict
    i can't remember the last time i used that key aside from toggling run/walk mode in some video games.
    i really don't care what happens to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    or... use a program like sharpkeys to remap any key you want:

http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html

I changed a few keys for my fps games :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Wanna look under my kilt?
    We could ditch the NumLock key as well, couldn't we?

maybe the second windows key?

Alt Gr? WTF does that even do?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not worried. Chrome will likely fail due to poor hardware and peripheral support.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    We could ditch the NumLock key as well, couldn't we?

maybe the second windows key?

Alt Gr? WTF does that even do?
    my steelseries keyboard replaced the left windows key with a function key
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Google knows and records everything that you type into the search box, keep that in mind.
    Q6600 3.6Ghz @ 1.276v | DFI LP LT P35 | Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 600Mhz @ 2.074v | GeForce 260 GTX | Auzen X-Fi Prelude | PCP&C 750 | Arch Linux ~ WinXP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 | DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR | 2x512MB G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Palit GeForce 9600 GT | Gentoo

Long Live DFI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast