Thread: Rack-Mountable Phone Distribution Module?

Xtreme CCIE

Rack-Mountable Phone Distribution Module?

Earlier this year I cabled up my house with new coax & Cat6, and while that's gone swell I do have a major outstanding task remaining before I can move on to the next phase - replacing the old phone block that's just nailed up to a joist in the basement. This has surprised me by becoming my greatest obstacle yet, and I'm hoping someone here at XS can help me.

The problem is that purchasing a 110-style punchdown block just for a phone line when everything else can/does terminate into a keystone jack (which is far cleaner) is inelegant at best and an active nuisance to me or future homeowners at worst.

One item I found was this 4 line x 16-RJ45 Phone Module that basically splits out four phone lines into 16 RJ-45 style jacks, with ports 1-12 being terminated such that you can put a regular RJ11 jack into them and get line 1, ports 13/14 are line 2, port 15 is line 3, port 16 is line 4... and as a bonus it supports an RJ31X/line seizure jack and a test/expansion jack! Plus I only actually have to terminate one pair myself, the rest is done on a PCB for me! Basically perfect in every way, EXCEPT that it's not 19" rack-mountable, which is a requirement for me (and I would think for anyone else who is doing serious home cabling or home automation).

I've been scouring the Internet but just can't find anything, so I was hoping someone else has been in a similar position but had a better time of it and could help me find a module just like or very similar to the above, except 19" rack mountable.

Edit:
    I realize that I could terminate the incoming 4-pair phoneline to a keystone and create my own jumpers between it and other keystones, but it's more work than it's worth and is definitely a less-than-ideal final product.
    Last edited by Serra; 12-07-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    For work POTs lines are just terminated into a standard 24 port punchdown RJ45. Then they are patched in a rackmount PABX.

You could just make an adaptor mount for that unit so it can be fitted into 4U or something.