Thread: Any known issues with R3 Extreme block?

Xtreme Batrachian

Any known issues with R3 Extreme block?

Had a bit of a nightmare with the R3Gene so I'm leaving the last surviving one on air for another build and thinking on getting a R3E for this one (managed to squeeze a full ATX board in the build somehow...)

Do we know of any reported problems with the MB block (either Koolance or EK, although as a personal preference I'd rather use EK) for this board?

I've seen that BP also makes a block for this board, but is really pricey...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

a guy here in Denmark had some real trouble fitting the EK block on a Rampage III Extreme,

http://www.octeamdenmark.com/forums/...-2x480gtx.html
    here in danish language

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani-boy View Post
    a guy here in Denmark had some real trouble fitting the EK block on a Rampage III Extreme,

http://www.octeamdenmark.com/forums/...-2x480gtx.html
    here in danish language
    Had a friend translate for me (living in the UK is brilliant, 1 out of 2 people is from somewhere else, so there's always someone around to translate )

Unfortunately she knows nothing about computers, but for what she gathers the guy is complaining about the amount of DIY required and the poor contact in some areas?
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Member
    I think there's been a few threads of folks having some minor contact issues. But there's been just as many with folks having no issues at all. Take that as you will.

Personally, I'm running the EK full-board block on my RIIIE and had zero issues with it. The only real issue I had was that I needed to use the extra ring extender (on the mosfet side of the block) to get a good seal with the fat-boy barbs I'm using (and that was strictly my fault for not checking the barb seal better).

-- OK, OK, and I did have a little bit of difficulty plugging the little rampage light thingy (that sits in the middle of the block) back into the board, but that's just because I have fat fingers and the power plug is really really small

But, temps are great, it went on with no difficulty or contact issues, and it looks really pretty

#3 hehe always nice with some one that can help but yes he had problems with getting contact between the block and chipset, all in all he didn't find the block were easy to fit on.
    It came on and temp are fine, only minus is that is was har to fit on

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had a bit of trouble. Just match up closely the screw holes to your board. The EK instructions are honestly crap. Those spacers are also extremely annoying. But if you get it right the first time, then there really is no need to remove it. The second time I mounted the block, took me like 95% less time than the first.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Member
    Hi

I have been on a Koolance R3E block since July. Other than the screws blocking the 1/2OD Bitspower compression fitting, it's good stuff. I used 45degree compression fittings instead.

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM