Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagate rejected WD takeover bid

I am Xtreme

Seagate rejected WD takeover bid

I'm glad Seagate did this because I have already stopped buying WD black drives due to them blocking RAID.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...n-digital.html

Quote Originally Posted by bloomberg
    Seagate Technology Plc, the disk- drive maker that ended takeover talks with TPG Capital, also turned down a proposal from competitor Western Digital Corp., according to two people with knowledge of the matter.

A combination with Western Digital would have faced antitrust obstacles and may have resulted in management departures, said the people, who declined to be identified because the talks were private. Western Digital indicated to Seagate it was willing to pay 10 percent to 50 percent more than TPG, one person said. TPG had considered offering more than $7.5 billion, people familiar with the discussions said in October.

The proposal was a bad idea, said Ashok Kumar, an analyst at Rodman & Renshaw LLC in New York. “I’m not sure how that would serve Seagate’s shareholders,” he said. “There’s way too much product overlap, and I’m not sure the premium would be meaningful enough to make it worth it. I think they have to make a go of it on their own.”

Seagate, which has a market value of about $6.9 billion, said Nov. 29 it ended discussions with private-equity firms because the indicated deal value wasn’t in the best interest of the company or its shareholders. TPG couldn’t find enough equity partners to finance a takeover after KKR & Co. and Bain Capital LLC lost interest in a transaction, one person familiar with the situation said at the time.

Made Its Move

Western Digital made its approach after Seagate said Oct. 14 that it received interest about a going-private transaction, one person said.

While Western Digital has smaller sales than Seagate, its market value is larger, at about $8 billion. The Lake Forest, California-based company had cash and equivalents of about $2.9 billion and $375 million in debt as of Oct. 1.

Brian Ziel, a spokesman for Seagate, and Steve Shattuck, a Western Digital spokesman, declined to comment. Seagate has offices in Scotts Valley, California, and Dublin.

Seagate rose as much as $1, or 7.2 percent, to $14.92 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading after the Western Digital approach was reported. The shares closed at $14.53, up 4.4 percent for the day.

Competition with Western Digital has made it harder for Seagate to meet analysts’ profit projections. Excluding some costs, earnings were 37 cents last quarter, compared with the 46-cent average of estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Sales rose 1.3 percent to $2.7 billion.

The industry may focus more on avoiding supply gluts than acquisitions to improve results, Kumar said.

“The consolidation wave has run its course,” he said. “The only thing that will keep pricing stable and profits moving in the right direction is more rational production levels.”

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

this sounds like a buy out for the purpose of collusion.

and this should be good for WD since who ever owns the rights to maxtor seams to do poorly with reliability and unless they bought seagate to kill it, it would only make samsung in a better position.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    you know what i wonder... how can western digital offer 8-11 billion USD, when there marketcap is only ~7,5B and they only have ~2.8B Cash on hand.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    you know what i wonder... how can western digital offer 8-11 billion USD, when there marketcap is only ~7,5B and they only have ~2.8B Cash on hand.
    They'd do what most modern people/companies/governments do when they want something they can't afford - put it on the credit card, metaphorically speaking.
    Last edited by Solus Corvus; 12-04-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    I'm glad Seagate did this because I have already stopped buying WD black drives due to them blocking RAID.
    There's also the tler issue with the latest greens which can timeout the drive and degrade an array but I think this is becoming an issue with both seagate and wd.

I'm just glad my areca controller seems to tolerate it with the greens, no way am I buying enterprise class drives for my home array if I can avoid it.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    There's also the tler issue with the latest greens which can timeout the drive and degrade an array but I think this is becoming an issue with both seagate and wd.

I'm just glad my areca controller seems to tolerate it with the greens, no way am I buying enterprise class drives for my home array if I can avoid it.

I have many drives from both WD and Seagate, and the only ones giving issues in RAID arrays are the WD Blacks. They probably started in the Green drives since the introduced the AV-GP series. The Seagate drives support desktop raid and the list that as a feature of those drives and They work flawless in my areca controller. The seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB drives are faster and cheaper than the WD 2TB blacks. People want to praise WD as being the best drives at the moment, but people are failing to look at the specs and see the Seagate has lower noise, power consumption, and faster speed.

As for the whole seagate 2TB issue WD had the same problem with their drive firmwares they just managed to keep themselves out of the spotlight. However, for a few months neither manufacture has a 2TB hard drive for sale. You can use google and find the issues that WD had, it affected their RE4 models and not just the blacks.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

The PhotoCHOPer
    Sorry to continue this slightly off topic discussion .. but is running WD Black in RAID really a big problem? I just bought three 1.5TB Blacks to put in a RAID5 array (off an ICH10 controller). I ran my WD 640GBs in RAID5 for years without issue ... ?
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

c[_]
    You can do a firmware update to the blacks for raid usually. Some are locked though.

http://www.stringliterals.com/?p=20

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't get how it would even be possible, seagate is bigger then WD...
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    I don't get how it would even be possible, seagate is bigger then WD...
    In what way? They both ship almost the same amount of drives and WD has a bigger marketcap on the stockmarket...

I can tell you that the initial target was to go private, not to get gobbled up by WD. Seagate didn't want to go private under the guise of being bought out by WD. They wanted to go private so they could take bigger risks and not have to constantly answer to shareholders when they had a bad quarter if their longterm plan was solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Cruncher
    IMO, Seagate should have never have bought Maxtor. Seems to me like that has done nothing but drag them down.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    Sorry to continue this slightly off topic discussion .. but is running WD Black in RAID really a big problem? I just bought three 1.5TB Blacks to put in a RAID5 array (off an ICH10 controller). I ran my WD 640GBs in RAID5 for years without issue ... ?
    record the exact model of your 1.5TB blacks and punch it into Google and find out if anyone has had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    You can do a firmware update to the blacks for raid usually. Some are locked though.

http://www.stringliterals.com/?p=20
    The WDTLER utility has not worked on the 2TB blacks for a year and it is not a firmware upgrade. However, the WDTLER utility will work on the 1TB blacks that have 32MB cache, but not the ones that 64MB cache.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    IMO, Seagate should have never have bought Maxtor. Seems to me like that has done nothing but drag them down.
    I have to second this. I've never really liked Maxtor drives, and since then Seagate drives also went downhill.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I have to second this. I've never really liked Maxtor drives, and since then Seagate drives also went downhill.
    And i have to 3rd this, havent used a seagate drive for almost 7 years

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

I am Xtreme
    I'm glad this didn't happen - would have been less competition
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Addict
    wait, wd blacks cant raid?
    i thought they were the only type of wd that could?
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    I was looking at some WD drives for RAID. Do the blues and greens have the same RAID issues?

Xtreme Addict
    It seems allot of the newer high capacity drives are more prone to the tler timeout in raid configurations. From what I surmise all these high density drives seem to have a relatively high error rate so the consumer branded drives automatically try to remap bad sectors as they are detected. This error correction and detection is what leads to the drives timing out in a raid array unless it can complete the task within a timeframe short enough not to timeout which can vary with different raid controllers.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 445533 View Post
    I was looking at some WD drives for RAID. Do the blues and greens have the same RAID issues?
    blues no, i believe the greens have some type of error with raiding, i wouldnt raid 5200rpm drives anyhow, its a waste

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    blues no, i believe the greens have some type of error with raiding, i wouldnt raid 5200rpm drives anyhow, its a waste
    Greens are a known no-no for RAID, since their variable spindle speed tends make them desynch from each other.

Never realized that about the blacks, though. My WD640 Blacks acted just fine in RAID0, but I got them a while back. I can see this is another area I'll have to double-check and do some research on, if I'm in the market for any more HDD's though.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Greens are a known no-no for RAID, since their variable spindle speed tends make them desynch from each other.
    I wouldn't say no-no, I've been running a raid 5 array with 4 1tb wd greens for 2 years now on an areca controller without a single incident (knock on wood) which I attribute to the controller having a high timeout threshold and actually getting 4 decent drives at the same time.

However I would say proceed with caution and know the risks that a consumer level drive, especially in the higher densities, seem to be prone to tler timeouts. It's not that the drives are bad when they drop out of raid randomly its simply the controller timing out the drive while it was performing error recovery. Enterprise/raid class drives have a time limit set in regards to how much time is allowed to determine and take corrective measures on the drive to prevent timeouts by the raid controller or leave error detection/correction tasks up to the raid controller.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    i wouldnt raid 5200rpm drives anyhow, its a waste
    for storage and backup, not speed. that's what ssds are for.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    However I would say proceed with caution and know the risks that a consumer level drive, especially in the higher densities, seem to be prone to tler timeouts. It's not that the drives are bad when they drop out of raid randomly its simply the controller timing out the drive while it was performing error recovery. Enterprise/raid class drives have a time limit set in regards to how much time is allowed to determine and take corrective measures on the drive to prevent timeouts by the raid controller or leave error detection/correction tasks up to the raid controller.
    What if I'm not using a RAID card? Software RAID.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    In what way? They both ship almost the same amount of drives and WD has a bigger marketcap on the stockmarket...

I can tell you that the initial target was to go private, not to get gobbled up by WD. Seagate didn't want to go private under the guise of being bought out by WD. They wanted to go private so they could take bigger risks and not have to constantly answer to shareholders when they had a bad quarter if their longterm plan was solid.
    The data I had read when I did a quick search did not show that. It showed that seagate shipped more then WD this data must have been wrong.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post

Never realized that about the blacks, though. My WD640 Blacks acted just fine in RAID0, but I got them a while back. I can see this is another area I'll have to double-check and do some research on, if I'm in the market for any more HDD's though.
    um no. I know plenty of people running green WD 2TB drives myself included for well over a year with no problems. I run 4 in raid 5.

Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    The data I had read when I did a quick search did not show that. It showed that seagate shipped more then WD this data must have been wrong.
    I think it was last quarter that Seagate took back more shipments than WD. But in reality they're both shipping about 50M a quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast