Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What ROM do you run?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    I'm seriously considering installing a custom but i've never done it before. My original droid is rediculously slow now.

how does overclocking your droid affect the battery life?

I read somewhere that since Froyo it's hard (impossible?) to root now? is that true?
    What verision of froyo are you running, 2.2 or 2.2.1. If you are still on 2.2 there is a one click root option (more than one actually) but if you are on 2.2.1 the easiest say to root is through RSD Lite. I run my droid max clocked at 1GHz all day long and usually get about a day worth of battery life out of it which is pretty good I think because I use it a lot. Setup profiles in setCPU and it should be relatively easy to get decent battery life on a clocked droid.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposibleteen View Post
    What verision of froyo are you running, 2.2 or 2.2.1. If you are still on 2.2 there is a one click root option (more than one actually) but if you are on 2.2.1 the easiest say to root is through RSD Lite. I run my droid max clocked at 1GHz all day long and usually get about a day worth of battery life out of it which is pretty good I think because I use it a lot. Setup profiles in setCPU and it should be relatively easy to get decent battery life on a clocked droid.
    i'm on 2.2.1

is there a noticeable difference with an overclocked droid? i.e. is it worth it?
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Addict
    i'm on 2.2.1

is there a noticeable difference with an overclocked droid? i.e. is it worth it?
    Do you mean a regular Motorola Droid?

If so, then yes. Overclocking on the Motorola Droid makes a huge difference in usability, in my opinion. The Motorola Droid runs at 650MHz stock, if I'm not mistaken. Almost every Droid can handle 800MHz, and many can do 1GHz.

With my old Droid, going from 650MHz to 800MHz made a very noticeable difference in speed.

Now, 1.2GHz on my Droid 2 Global is just blazing fast.

Fanboy of Good Products
    yeah droid1. i'd take anything to help it live a little longer usable life, it's just plain slow right now. which rom do you suggest? i don't need anything fancy, ideally i'd like the stock rom running at 800-1000mhz.

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Addict
    yeah droid1. i'd take anything to help it live a little longer usable life, it's just plain slow right now. which rom do you suggest? i don't need anything fancy, ideally i'd like the stock rom running at 800-1000mhz.
    With the original Droid, I've only tried a few ROMs.

I've used CyanogenMod (also used it on my Nexus One), which is a bit far from stock, but you can get it pretty close to stock with some tweaking.

BuglessBeast is also nice, as it's a little closer to stock, but the latest builds seem to be kind of buggy (ironically).

There are probably some ROMs that are even closer, or you could just root and replace your kernel to an overclock-capable one, but I'm not 100% on that.

Fanboy of Good Products
    I have to admit its a daunting task. Is Droid forums the place to go for the roms and how tos?

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Addict
    http://forum.xda-developers.com has a lot of what you would need to get started.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Thanks I'll check that out when I get home.

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Member
    I use Ubuntdroid on a Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept. $25 a month for unlimted data/text and 300 mins is perfect for me
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 bios 09/08/10 | i7 920 3931A324 w/ NH-D14 | 3x2gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2000mhz | Crossfire Sapphire 5870s | 2 x Samsung HD103SJ in RAID 0 | HT Omega Striker | Corsair TX850W

Xtreme Mentor
    I have to admit its a daunting task. Is Droid forums the place to go for the roms and how tos?
    Droid Forums is a little better than XDA for droid 1 development in my opinion. The development for D1 on XDA just seems a little slower than on droid forums. As you can see in my past screen shots i have run MIUI but that's pretty far from stock android. Once you root you can just flash in an OC capable kernel. Right now I have Project Elite on my D1, its nice, has the look of gingerbread and is as fast as any rom I've loaded up to date. Might be worth a shot.

Xtreme Member
    Stock ROM on the HTC Aria (I think 2.2.1?) Wish I could change the laoding screen without rooting it

Tyler Durden
    Droid Forums is a little better than XDA for droid 1 development in my opinion. The development for D1 on XDA just seems a little slower than on droid forums. As you can see in my past screen shots i have run MIUI but that's pretty far from stock android. Once you root you can just flash in an OC capable kernel. Right now I have Project Elite on my D1, its nice, has the look of gingerbread and is as fast as any rom I've loaded up to date. Might be worth a shot.
    I am considering flashing PE 4.1 today. I'm on BuglessBeast 6.2 at the moment and it seems Pete keeps releasing updates that break more and more things. Frankly, it's obvious to me his skills as a developer are below that of some of the other popular devs, but people still go ape over his releases.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    I am considering flashing PE 4.1 today. I'm on BuglessBeast 6.2 at the moment and it seems Pete keeps releasing updates that break more and more things. Frankly, it's obvious to me his skills as a developer are below that of some of the other popular devs, but people still go ape over his releases.
    BuglessBeast used to be pretty great, but you're right-- the recent releases have been really buggy and just seem to break things.

I have tried several ROMs , currently I am running Gummy Jar 2.5 with Linear as my theme. Its really fast , stable and the Linear is very nice, Droid X
    Intel i7 920@ 4.4ghz , Asus Rampage 2 Extreme , all under sweet EK nickle pron , 6gb Corsair Dominator @ 1683mhz , EVGA gtx 560ti , all wrap up in the new and improved BLACKBOX

Xtreme Member

Theme by Criskelo.

Xtreme Member
    Im running Doc's 7.5 jpy on my captivate. His rom kitchen is just awsome. I recomend anyone with a captivate or i9000 to check it out. Being able to customize you own rom is just brilliant

I'm on Virtuous 0.9.0 for my G2, so far I think it's been the most solid one out of all the releases. I've been a CM6 person but I do love the look of sense.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 955 , Phenom II X6 1090T , Core i7 920
    Motherboard: MSI GD-70 , Foxconn Bloodrage , EVGA Classified E759
    Ram: 2 x 2 GB Corsair Dominator GTX2
    GPU: 2 x XFX 5870 , 1 x Diamond 5870 (All 3 wi/ Asus Bios)
    HDD: 2 x Samsung 1TB

Tyler Durden
    I'm flashing MIUI on my Droid tonight. I've been waiting for it to get more polished.

Currently on PE 4.1 which is totally trouble-free, I'm just bored.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm flashing MIUI on my Droid tonight. I've been waiting for it to get more polished.

Currently on PE 4.1 which is totally trouble-free, I'm just bored.
    Funny you mention that actually I went over to PE for a few weeks while MIUI went through some speed bumps but reflashed MIUI last night and have been enjoying the latest release so far.

The only feature the current D1 Roms are missing that I wish someone would port over is the puzzle lock screen from the Samsung fascinate.

Tyler Durden
    Funny you mention that actually I went over to PE for a few weeks while MIUI went through some speed bumps but reflashed MIUI last night and have been enjoying the latest release so far.

The only feature the current D1 Roms are missing that I wish someone would port over is the puzzle lock screen from the Samsung fascinate.
    I flashed the latest MIUI 1.1.14.0 w/ .1 fix patch. Then I flashed the 1.2 MIUI MOD that optimizes/fixes/removes some stuff.

And after customizing my home screens (have 4 folders with all my apps in them = games, utilities, apps, widgets), I flashed the Slayher LFY 1.7 1ghz slv kernel.

MIUI has to have an overclocked kernel, it's too graphically intensive to stay at stock.

Loving it for the most part so far, especially the theme manager.

Xtreme Mentor
    I flashed the latest MIUI 1.1.14.0 w/ .1 fix patch. Then I flashed the 1.2 MIUI MOD that optimizes/fixes/removes some stuff.

And after customizing my home screens (have 4 folders with all my apps in them = games, utilities, apps, widgets), I flashed the Slayher LFY 1.7 1ghz slv kernel.

MIUI has to have an overclocked kernel, it's too graphically intensive to stay at stock.

Loving it for the most part so far, especially the theme manager.
    Agreed. The sweet spot for my droid is Slayher's 1.1Ghz kernel. I have left it stock so far because I suspect themes may have been causing my previous reboot issues. Let me know if you get any random reboots and if so what theme you were using.

Xtreme Addict
    just upgraded to the newest nightly of CM7 for the evo, must say its freakin sweet
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Tyler Durden
    Agreed. The sweet spot for my droid is Slayher's 1.1Ghz kernel. I have left it stock so far because I suspect themes may have been causing my previous reboot issues. Let me know if you get any random reboots and if so what theme you were using.
    1.1 is my max stable limit as well, but I usually just run at 1GHz for better battery life. My phone likes Slayher kernels better than any other it seems.

Regarding themes, I'm currently on Elite HD. I have Liberty installed but haven't tried it yet. And I just loaded, but also haven't tried, that awesome new Meizu M9 theme? http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/showt...Theme-Meizu-M9

Thing looks amazing, but too incomplete to use yet.

What theme are you on?

Also, whenever I have had random reboots it was either a very buggy ROM (happened once with BB v5) or bad kernel (bad version or too high of overclock).

On the rise!
    Am I the only one using an Incredible here?

If so, thats pretty Incredible! LOL

Xtreme Mentor
    1.1 is my max stable limit as well, but I usually just run at 1GHz for better battery life. My phone likes Slayher kernels better than any other it seems.

Regarding themes, I'm currently on Elite HD. I have Liberty installed but haven't tried it yet. And I just loaded, but also haven't tried, that awesome new Meizu M9 theme? http://www.miui-dev.com/forums/showt...Theme-Meizu-M9

Thing looks amazing, but too incomplete to use yet.

What theme are you on?

Also, whenever I have had random reboots it was either a very buggy ROM (happened once with BB v5) or bad kernel (bad version or too high of overclock).
    So far I have left this release stock and have had no reboots at all. I'll be loading up a theme (probably elite pro hd) tonight and see if this trend continues. Although I am tempted by the latest release of Project Elite that dropped yesterday.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast