Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xel's Project Dade

Xtreme Member

Xel's Project Dade

Well the last box has arrived today and I believe I am GO for assembly.

so lets get started!

Here was the old system
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=3057

Basically the acrylic leaked over and over on various parts and ended up blowing out 2 sticks of ram and the top most blue ram socket would catch fire upon bootup.... yes its still boots up .... on fire... (was actually using the system as the socket was burning.)

Thus was the demise of my first water cooling endeavor.

So here we are starting a new!

Parts:
    Silverstone Raven
    Intel Core i7-980x Batch# 3035B799 - With EK Supreme HF block
    Rampage III Extreme - with matching Danger Den blocks
    3x PNY GeForce GTX 580 - with matching Danger Den blocks
    6x Corsair Dominators 2GB 2000
    5x 3.5 OCZ Vertex2 180GB SSD
    Western Digital Green 2TB
    LITE-ON DH-4B1S-08 Blu-Ray burner
    SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI-EX edition
    Corsair AX1200w
    5x Gentle Typhoons 1225C12B5AP15
    Swiftech MCR120-QP 1x120mm rad
    1/2ID 3/4OD PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT
    Koolance TMS-200 Thermal Interface Controller
    Koolance TNK-200-V2 Reservoir, Inline 200mm V2
    Koolance PMP-450
    Koolance HX-CU1020V 3x120mm rad
    10x Bitspower Matte Black compression fittings
    8x Bitspower Matte Black 45 degree compression fittings
    2x Bitspower Matte Black 90 degree compression fittings
    2x Bitspower Matte Black 45 degree extension fittings
    2x Kill-Coil
    and various blue and UV laser LEDs to light up the insides of the case!

MORE TO FOLLOW!
    Last edited by Xel_NaGa; 03-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    for later

Xtreme Enthusiast
    mmm WC pron!! *fap fap fap*

looks good Xel_NaGa

got any pics of the ram flambe?
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    mmm WC pron!! *fap fap fap*

looks good Xel_NaGa

got any pics of the ram flambe?
    well the system was in the Raven and I have torn it completely down. BUT! once I complete this build I will bring it back on the table and assemble it to maybe capture on video the flame and a POST

here are some pics of the dmg.

as you can see the coolant stained slots... lol

Here we have the burnt socket one with flash one without...

you can see where the flame was cooking the white slot above it.
    It was a tiny blue-grayish flame.

and the poor ram that was in operation ... completely burn the pin off

lol notice the little flakes of coolant still on the ram.

Xtreme Member
    Also Id like to add that Koolance "Koolant" left some really nasty "dusty" like grit inside the loop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that's priceless!!
    thanks for the pics

not laughing @you, laughing with you
    you seem to be taking it quite well
    would love to see video of it, if your game!

must have been alot of water to cause that much staining

interesting about the grit, do you think it was corrosion dust or sediment from the koolant?
    was it metal? it may have contributed at least to the conductivity of the fluid
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Member
    that's priceless!!
    thanks for the pics

not laughing @you, laughing with you
    you seem to be taking it quite well
    would love to see video of it, if your game!

must have been alot of water to cause that much staining

interesting about the grit, do you think it was corrosion dust or sediment from the koolant?
    the acrylic block of the cpu developed hairline cracks around the seal and began dripping coolant rapidly onto the top ram stick.

all 3 ram sticks had a table of coolant on top of them and all the sockets were full of coolant.
    I was actually playing wow and was sitting there *sniff* *sniff* ... dang it which one of my computers burnt out... and I checked every other computer I had... was puzzled for a bit and thought surely the computer still running isnt it. I gave the fan vent a sniff and sure enough it was. as I was pulling the case door off I saw the short/smoke begin to happen.

with PC still running and playing on that machine I sent a whisper to my buddy uhhh... brb and pulled the power.

as far as the grit goes. It doesn't seem to move or wash out with any liquid. I had to wipe the res out with a paper towel to get it clean. It didn't smear either.

Xtreme Member
    Honestly I think something was eating the acrylic. reason I say so is that every part that was acrylic failed at some point... also as I was cleaning the res I noticed the tiny acrylic screws holding the divider in place were completely corroded and the divider simply slid off along with the screw tops to the acrylic screws.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Enthusiast
    love the raven

im not an expert on acrylic but i have heard some chemicals can eat at it, not sure what though
    in the early days of wc i tried everything from motorbike coolant to tap water,
    after lots of gunk and "dirt" in the loops, i stick with pure di and silver fittings
    anything u add to wc loops seems to cause problems.
    X2k

Xtreme Member

Sleep time more progress after the slumber!

Danger Den block looks nice, finally something new in design (compared to "standard" look of EK blocks)

Xtreme Member
    Looking good , only dont like the case , the rest perfect including that Dd block

Xtreme Guru
    subbd!! This build is gonna be epic 3x 580s and the batch of your 980 will rock, im guessing 5ghz stable :P

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    After reviewing the case layout and then researching high-OC'd sli 580s vs mild OC Tri-sli 580s the dual OC'd SLI seems to win out. Also as I was trying to film the flame it stopped happening and my old 920 and R2E is now working so I'm going to put my 3rd 580 for upgrading secondary pc.

On first pump power up completely forgot one of the caps on the first GPU

some updated photos

leak test time!

Xtreme Guru
    Please tell me your gonna sleeve all your cables

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Please tell me your gonna sleeve all your cables
    yeah, I have my spare PSU hooked up and just threw in the lighting just to see what it looked like.

Xtreme Guru
    awesome mate, cant wait to see some results

Xtreme Addict
    love the glowing tubes coming up from the bottom portion of the case in that 2nd test pic
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Xtreme Member
    so on initial power up my 2nd gtx580 blew out in an area not touched by anything... checked under the block and nothing was touching no burn marks nothing(RMA time)... the card boots just wont enter windows. so I replaced it with the 3rd and everything is running well.

Taking from what I know from the R2E and my old i7-920.
    I did the usual bios settings and meddled around with trying to get a high bclock but was not very successful. this being my first extreme chip I'm seeing they take a different approach.

So if anyone has any pointers or good starting points on the 980x or just a nice R3E template to start out at I'm all ears.
    also what is the max safe long term vcore for the 980-x? I thought I saw some people in the R3E thread saying over 1.4 was highly dangerous where on my old i7-920 over 1.5 was dangerous.

heres what I got just on auto on this 980x and bumping up the multi and bclock.

as i said above everything is on auto but Turbo-V says that the vcore is at 1.3

wow nice, you haz a lot of monies.

Xtreme Guru
    check out a thread in the intel section, A test was actually done regarding wether higher blck or higher multi was better, if i remember correctly it was higher multi because increasing blck increases everything else , but with higher multi and lower blck there are always pros and cons for example benchmarks wont be as high for example etc.. ill try dig it up for you...

Xtreme Guru
    Last edited by Johnny87au; 12-07-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Thanks alot for that reference Johnny, big help

I'm putting the OC on this rig to a halt for the moment. For some reason I completely blanked out on my memory choices. I have ordered a full set of Dominator GTs 2000s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast