Thread: How does BIOS processor support on AMD Laptops work?

Xtreme Addict

How does BIOS processor support on AMD Laptops work?

I have an HP G56-127NR (as mentioned in last thread) with an V140... The HP Service/Maintenance Guide lists a few dual-core variations of this laptop (P320, etc)... so should I expect to be able to upgrade to that processor seamlessly?

I also found a mobile Phenom processor on ebay that is also socket S1G4, but it's 35W as opposed to 25W and it's not listed on this laptop's guide. I believe this model has the same chipset as the G61 though, which DOES have Phenom listed in the guide. Should I expect either of these upgrade options to work?
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    UPDATE:
    Well after some browsing on Ebay and some speculation, I came across a Phenom II N620 (as mentioned earlier) for $80. I figure the max I was willing to spend on a CPU upgrade was $45--I offered $45 to the seller not expecting a reply. To my surprise, he ACCEPTED, so I will be posting results with this new chip when it gets here.

Any suggestions for CPU benchmarks I should try to get an understanding of the performance differences?
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    UPDATE:
    It was a really pain in the ass because the CPU socket is UNDER the motherboard... had to take the laptop completely apart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfFnZKrvoA
    Everything works!!

Last edited by Loser777; 12-11-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    1.7%