Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Fatal1ty-Mainboard,LGA1155 and P67 Chip

Xtreme CCIE
    @Trans et al -

You can defend Wendel all you want, but the fact is that this is a stupid product. It's no better than anything else out there, but horribly overpriced. I don't blame the guy for trying to cash in on his name - Lord knows that guy is going to have no money when he's old - but purchasing this board is a bad decision and you know it.

People are not annoyed with Wendel himself, but the fact that companies are putting his sticker on things and charging an extra $50 for them. I remember when Zalman took their 7700Cu cooler and made a Fatal1ty version... and charged just under $100 for what was, previously, a $40-50 product. It's stupid price gouging is all it is. It's like if Ferrari started selling Toyota Corolla's for $90k - it's just a stupid money grab.

Also though, I will laugh at his weight. Not HIS weight, but the picture they used on the product, which is clearly from the "old days" when he was still thin. It's just funny to see a chubby guy hold a box with a picture on it of when he was thin... it's kind of like seeing a man wearing a toupee. "I've still got it!". If they had used a current representation I wouldn't laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    remember the fred savage movie the wizard? I just think about it and its rad this guy is ripping and getting flow. cmon guys. we talk crap but were all jealous.
    Actually, no. I'm not jealous at all, even if he is "ripping and getting flow" (whatever that means). I don't doubt he's a nice guy and he probably is a lot more "cool" than me, but the fat4l flaw with his lifestyle is this - he's an adult.

Being "cool" and impressing teenagers really doesn't matter as much as you age and realistically, at his age it shouldn't be a factor in his equation. The guy is going to be flat broke when he's middle-aged and have no career experience to fall back on for a job. Some gaming company may hire him for input, but those positions don't really pay that well and with no business experience or education that's seen use in over a decade, he'll be in what we employed people call a "dead end" position... he's not going to be on the fast train up the ladder. It doesn't sound so bad when you're 18 and thinking it's great to be able to move out on your own just for playing video games, but it gets increasingly sad to see as you age, and he's around that tip where it could become downright alarming.

So personally, I'll take "ripping and getting flow" when I'm 65 and retired comfortably, enjoying the savings that my lifetime of building forward salary momentum have gotten me. I may not be as "cool" as he is, but at least I won't be out in the cold.
    Last edited by Serra; 12-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme X.I.P.
    for all of you just watch the video i posted and you will want him to be your friend and if saaya says hes cool then that says it all. saaya is a good dude and I know him well enough that his opinion is the most honest and like me we wear out hearts on our sleeves. were proud of you john. aside from the jokes we are just jealous. i for one always thought he was just lucky at gaming but if you watch the vid and see how passionate he is and honest about the board and recognize he has things to say about the board and has actual hdwr knowledge and see the look on the marketing guys face when he is talking you will change your tune. admit it. you would want to be friends with him. hes down to earth and humble and totally the opposite of what you would expect. id totally be his friend.
    cheers bro

tbh i dont know john that well at all, but i know a couple of people i trust that told me hes actually a cool guy to hang out with. he does come off c0cky at times, but hey, who wouldnt after rocking the scene like he has?

serra, why?
    the board looks nice and has his name on it...
    do they claim its a better gaming board than any other? no...
    so whats the big deal... people who buy it probably only care about his name, the looks and maybe cause he vouches for the product with his name...

if asus or john would claim this board makes you game better, id be with you, but hows this bad in any way?
    to you and me its a ripp off and not worth the extra money...
    yet to gamers, a classified or SR2 or UD9 is a ripp off and not worth the extra money...

its all a matter of perspective and as long as they arent claiming any bs... its a decent board so who cares?
    its not like its cr4p and sold for a high price like so much sht out there... its expensive but actually good...
    Last edited by saaya; 12-03-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    um asus owns asrock, i am pretty sure they make all the decisions. Sadly i dont put top end and asrock in the same sentence k. gigabyte actually did a nice job with look this time.
    asus doesnt own asrock, as of 2010 asus and asrock are entirely split companies. go and ask asus or asrock, they both arent full of love for each other exactly

one thing is funny though, and actually illegal afaik... they still buy chipsets and components together as a joint company, thats how asus ans asrock get lower prices than anybody else

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    asus doesnt own asrock, as of 2010 asus and asrock are entirely split companies. go and ask asus or asrock, they both arent full of love for each other exactly
    It's a good news. If it's really true.

IMHO AsRock is much more inventive and brave in their mobo designs than Asus.
    -

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    You can defend Wendel all you want, but the fact is that this is a stupid product. It's no better than anything else out there, but horribly overpriced. I don't blame the guy for trying to cash in on his name - Lord knows that guy is going to have no money when he's old - but purchasing this board is a bad decision and you know it.

How would you know? It is not even out yet. Not even talking about reviews...
    Might have a poor BIOS since this is Arock, but this is one of the nicest looking s1155 boards I've seen so far.
    Last edited by zalbard; 12-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    ASrock is owned by Asus, thats why this board looks like the Maximus/Rampage series.
    ASUS does not own ASRock, repeate ASUS does not own ASRock. ASRock is a brand name used by Pegatron now since the spin off.

Xtreme Addict
    one thing is funny though, and actually illegal afaik... they still buy chipsets and components together as a joint company, thats how asus ans asrock get lower prices than anybody else
    So very wrong!

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post

How would you know? It is not even out yet. Not even talking about reviews...
    Might have a poor BIOS since this is Arock, but this is one of the nicest looking s1155 boards I've seen so far.
    I have yet to see one Fatal1ty product that offers anything except a cosmetic difference and the "Fatal1ty" sticker over the competition. They're always just rebrands/repaints on an existing product, and this won't be any different. I think we've both seen enough motherboards and promotion items to know I'm right about this.

It will have a higher price:performance ratio than anything else. It's fine to have a high price:performance ratio when you are the pinnacle of performance, but I think I can say quite safely that this board features nothing spectacular our even out of the ordinary.

Are you really going to say it's an equally valid choice among all variants with the same features and performance? Really? Because then I have a Toyota Corolla I can sell you with a Ferrari badge on it, it'll just cost you an extra $35k over retail... but I guess that's OK, because the badge makes it worth it? I mean, sure, if someone has the money they can spend it however they want, but that does not make someone a smart or discriminating consumer.
    Last edited by Serra; 12-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:

I am Xtreme
    I think you are assuming too much.
    Wait for it to hit retail so you can compare both the price and the features.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I think you are assuming too much.
    Wait for it to hit retail so you can compare both the price and the features.
    A bit dated, but we have been through this exact dance before - look at the ABIT Fatal1ty AN8. It was a fair board (and I do expect this to be a good board), but it was about $40-$50 more than a DFI SLI-D and it was not better.

Or the Zalman Fatal1ty VGA cooler. This was a straight-up repaint with a 30% markup. Not a bad product, just a bad price.

Or the OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, to use an example from this year. Again, not really a bad product, but you can find another product that is better for the same amount or a bit less, and a product of about the same quality for a 20% savings.

Seriously, give me one - just one - example of a Fatal1ty product that was not overpriced or offered an unquestionable position of being the "best" product out there, and I'll agree to wait. I have personally never seen one. They are always solid products, but the only times I have seen them be the best they have been repaints, which means they were 100% tied for first... and the alternative was always 20-30% cheaper.

Xtreme Network:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will say that the Fatal1ty extreme gamer sound card had a some thing better than the non-Fatal1ty card, it has some thing like 64mb of cache over the normal 8mb (I think). So its not always just hype...but to often it is. And at the time it was released it was the best in its class.
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Xtreme X.I.P.
    give the guy a break. the raddest vid is on hw bot. you got the interviewer on the left and the marketing guy in the middle and the fat kid on the right. keep an eye on the marketing guy in the middle when john wendel is talking. he keep looking at wendel like this.. "oh yeah mention the sata mouse function" and wendel is talking like he knows more than the marketing guy and he does. yeah john wendel gained weight but hes getting older like the rest of us. And its been a while since the abit days. Im stoked to see old john still getting handouts. remember the fred savage movie the wizard? I just think about it and its rad this guy is ripping and getting flow. cmon guys. we talk crap but were all jealous. he made a name for himself from nothing and hes still going and I cant say much for myself. the only game I play on a regular basis is BF2 PR mod and i kick ass. but I dont see anyone asking me to design a board around it. if anything I always wanted to see sole technologies (es, emerica, etnies, 32 boots) do a signature shoe for Vince/kingpin cause he skates and is one of the best overclockers.

heres the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIBqs5WJyFc

give him some credit. he seems like a nice guy and yeah he gained weight but we all have. he'd prob be a good xshw member if he didnt play computer games so much. make your jokes. I love to joke too but hes on our side guys. cmon dudes hes everyones dream job; play games all day and get paid for it? its awesome. too many haters. think about it. be nice. as a gamer I can see how he is loyal to the sport and still use old ms mouse. that mouse he mentions is one of the cheapest and best gaming mouses around and he makes it come alive. there are many ways to oc your mouse and you do not need a 250 dollar board to do it but its a rad feature and at least hes overclocking something none of us never bother to do.
    kudos to john. let him enjoy this moment. what if it was you?

I always make fun of george zimmer from the mens warehouse commercials but how rad would it be to guarantee everyone that they will like the way they look? And on top of that you can have any suit you want in any color for every occasion... if fricking awesome!!! If anything john needs to get a sponsor from old man zimmer with a red and black custom suit with a very slimming feature and he can say "youre gonna like the way you look while you're gaming" I wont guarantee you'll get any coochie but who cares? you have asrock making custom motherboards with your name on them........... I guarantee it."

Couldnt agree more
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool !

Rip Van Hippy

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

-------------------------

Xtreme Member
    Norway, approx. 1367Miles from the Northpole
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    ROG, WS Supercomputer, SABERTOOTH, Fatal1Ty... what's next?
    P67 SuperPro Ultra JBE (Justin Bieber Edition)
    Live to Mod.. Mod to Live!

Xtreme Member
    it will be interesting to see the price difference between the P67 Fatal1ty and the P67 Extreme6, because these two are really close on the layout.

I am Xtreme

I woudln't be in love with asrock either if I were asus. From what I heard asrock and asus share the same engineers and asrock uses asus concepts.

IDK about gold caps, why would you have them custom painted gold? So epopel can't tell what company makes them?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    oh wow... i just saw this:
    http://www.asrock.com/news/events/20...l1ty/index.asp

and this:
    http://www.asrock.com/news/events/20....asp?c=YouTube

i take back everything i said...
    those videos are not for the weak hearted, its really sad to see him bend over like this... oh man fatality what happened to you...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticOC View Post
    P67 SuperPro Ultra JBE (Justin Bieber Edition)
    No thanks, don't want people throwing bottles at my pc.
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Wanna look under my kilt?
    My disappointment with the Fata1ity products *in general* is that most of them don't appear to have any input from him... just his name.

The Zalman cooler is a great example. Would any person that cares about hardware endorse that? The Zalman case was another. The Abit Fata1ity SLI board was borderline unusable.

IF it was me, if a company wanted to release a product with my name on it, I would want to be involved in it's design/ bundle/ performance to make sure that even if it does end up costing more, my name is not being degraded.

I don't think Wendel has done that. He's let people take advantage of his name.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    He's let people take advantage of his name.
    He probably takes advantage of companies who want to use his name. He gets $$ out of something he doesn't really care about to begin with.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

I am Xtreme
    +1 Massman, my point exactly, no need to look any further. What do you do if you don't have eg any tech background Kenny ? Decide on the colour scheme ? I want to test one of these products and then either praise it or...

I liked my Abit AN8 FAt mobo, was a very good motherboard (if you had all the right hardware to match it) and it's still running in SLI mode at a friends... (only thing that was changed a few times was the active fan) But that was due to the Abit's engineers, not JW's work ofc...
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 12-31-2010 at 04:06 AM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    My disappointment with the Fata1ity products *in general* is that most of them don't appear to have any input from him... just his name.
    You're forgetting about the fatality usb port, with his own personal 500hz setting... heh.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by sxs112 View Post
    I love how the heatsink covers the corner of the 2x4 cpu 12v header. How are you supposed to plug it in???
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    I love how the heatsink covers the corner of the 2x4 cpu 12v header. How are you supposed to plug it in???
    It's not taken straight above the connector so it's a bit angled and therefore fooling your eye.

I actually like the looks of it and it's almost containing excessive amount of ports and connectors and wouldn't really need IDE and floppy anymore prolly but everything seems very logically placed (except floppy but not like many ppl would use it anymore anyways). This ain't gonna be very cheap though and paying premium for a 1155 mobo doesn't seem like the brightest idea, an 1155 setup makes mostly sense when you go the reasonably midrange priced route or possibly a cheaper mobo route.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-31-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    It's not taken straight above the connector so it's a bit angled and therefore fooling your eye.

I actually like the looks of it and it's almost containing excessive amount of ports and connectors and wouldn't really need IDE and floppy anymore prolly but everything seems very logically placed (except floppy but not like many ppl would use it anymore anyways). This ain't gonna be very cheap though and paying premium for a 1155 mobo doesn't seem like the brightest idea, an 1155 setup makes mostly sense when you go the reasonably midrange priced route or possibly a cheaper mobo route.
    the only thing fooling my eye there is the sweater the fat kid is wearing, on another note, I also tend to agree with excessive a gamer's 1155 mobo would never use (I.E IDE) + a whole heap more

From a marketing standpoint:

Funny how there is no sign of Asrock in the board the name Asrock, good as their boards are, doesnt scream enthusiast and therefore could potentially turn off buyers. Asus and Asrock are related still right, so I wonder why Asus didnt just make this an Asus board..like a Fatality signature ROG board..afterall, it looks like a ROG board to me except its tacky because of the brandings all over it..1 logo/fatality signature nicely placed would have been nicer..

I wonder when famous OCers like Kingpin would have motherboards with their names on it, that would soun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast