Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BioWare: Too many good computer games out there

I am Xtreme

Question BioWare: Too many good computer games out there

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/
    BioWare's co-founder Ray Muzyka has been moaning that there are too many games on the market these days.

Muzyka said that the worst part about growing up is that you inevitably will have less time to play videogames. He said that he had to play everything just to stay current with what the videogame industry is producing.

He said that it was bad that the industry is so good. "There's too many games released today," Muzyka replied. "It's very, very busy, it makes it very hard as a player to keep up."

He has to play Bioware games, competitor's games, play other relevant games, and play the handful of games we just really want to play more of and finish," he continued. "I try and play two-or three hours a night, but that's hard and it's not enough."

It was not as if they were being flooded with mediocre games either. Most of them are really good and that is even before you start looking at them on their online versions.

/facepalm
    Which recent games are really so awesome, exactly?..
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    i only have 3 games i play often, this guy must have a fetish for pc gaming...

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post

/facepalm
    ood doesn't mean great

the amount of extremely crappy POS games is smaller than it was 5 years ago, while there aren't many grea titles almost everything released by big publishers can be called decent...
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Heaps of them. You just need to lower your standards to the level required by a publisher to be considered good (ie. half-baked recycled junk).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    Heaps of them. You just need to lower your standards to the level required by a publisher to be considered good (ie. half-baked recycled junk).
    LOL
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    The amount of "bad" games correlates positively with the possibilities for teenagers to give their 'well-founded' opinion to a mass-public. It also correlates positively with the amount of routes to free content through piracy.

This meaning,

The idea that a specific game is bad is fueled by a vast majority of young people giving un-founded criticism. Add this with the fact that negative aspects of something are more likely to be talked about and you have a situation where a bunch of youngsters are cracking down a game based on hardly anything.

Also, with piracy becoming mainstream it's a lot easier to have free content. Research has shown you're more likely to see something as good/positive the more you had to do to reach the goal. Having to work to be able to pay for a game you bought in the store equals effort (work, pay, go to store, etc...). Downloading something from the internet is almost no effort.

Most of the games are good enough to enjoy yourself for a couple of hours.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Addict
    The console ports ARE NOT GOOD. DX9.0 Black Ops? C'mon people...
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    By this point, I'm not really sure I care what Bioware does/says.

Mass Effect 3 is probably going to be a third-person shooter with dialogues. Dragon Age II looks more and more like a hack n' slash version of Mass Effect with swords instead of guns. Good luck with that...

And this just proves, that they are really going crazy.
    Last edited by Vardant; 11-29-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well I think all Valve games, and BC2. But doesn't seem so many to me.
    And shouldn't be a motivation having good games around to make you be more competitive and create a better one?
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    The console ports ARE NOT GOOD. DX9.0 Black Ops? C'mon people...
    Sales say otherwise and that's all that matters in the end to a publisher. PC snobs saying a game is crap when it's selling hundreds of millions of copies doesn't change that fact.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Sales say otherwise and that's all that matters in the end to a publisher. PC snobs saying a game is crap when it's selling hundreds of millions of copies doesn't change that fact.
    Just because you sell millions doesn't automatically implies its good...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Sales? Give me a break... you can't judge a game just on those numbers.

To me bringing a game out now with just DX9 has the foul stench of greed.
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Sounds to me that:

1. He is bad at his job
    2. He doesn't like his job.

Xtreme Addict
    its a good problem to have, some price competitiveness would be even better especially since it seems like bioware (and others) is in the habit of releasing 1/2 to 3/4 of a game and DLC to finish them up

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree with the guy. Now that I'm working, completing my thesis, taking care of an apartment and my pets, I have a lot less time than I used to to game. Maybe 2-3 nights a week do I get to play anything, and that amounts to maybe 5 hours a week. With that time I typically play l4d2, since my friends want to play together, and I hardly ever see them so i'd rather play that than a single player when we all have the time. Off hand, the other games I'd like to play but will never have the time for-

BC2
    BF2
    Batman AA
    Riddick Dark Athena
    Metro 2033
    Dirt 2 or NSF

I know that to some of you guys, that isn't many games, but I literally don't have the time to get into them. I've loved the little experience I've had with each of them, but unless I neglect my girlfriend, apartment, and pets, I wont have time to actually play them.

Xtreme Member

/facepalm
    they are awesome for those who start out the first time. Too many good games for newbies compared to older guys.
    Though ut99 still favorite game for evahhh.

Xtreme Member
    oh the ut99 vs. quake 3 debates.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamervivek View Post
    they are awesome for those who start out the first time. Too many good games for newbies compared to older guys.
    Though ut99 still favorite game for evahhh.
    Hey, you forgot Marathon! Bungie once made quality games too.
    OCZ, where life-time warranty means until we're out of stock!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    The amount of "bad" games correlates positively with the possibilities for teenagers to give their 'well-founded' opinion to a mass-public. It also correlates positively with the amount of routes to free content through piracy.

This meaning,

The idea that a specific game is bad is fueled by a vast majority of young people giving un-founded criticism. Add this with the fact that negative aspects of something are more likely to be talked about and you have a situation where a bunch of youngsters are cracking down a game based on hardly anything.

Also, with piracy becoming mainstream it's a lot easier to have free content. Research has shown you're more likely to see something as good/positive the more you had to do to reach the goal. Having to work to be able to pay for a game you bought in the store equals effort (work, pay, go to store, etc...). Downloading something from the internet is almost no effort.

Whilst I agree with you regarding the ease at which a game is procured correlates with the perceived value or lack of for any particular game. A game being good enough for a couple of hours enjoyment shouldn't cost $60/£35. Most games these day are direct console ports with little more than a few hours game play and almost no depth to them. At those prices I don't feel that they are value for money at all.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post

I don't think that's a universal feeling. I know that I enjoy games less when I buy them versus playing someone else's copy. I used to do a lot of the latter when I was a penniless kid. Now that I work I just buy my own outright. I feel like there's a lot more pressure when there's $50 at stake, that if I don't enjoy the game then I've made a terrible mistake. Back in the old days, it was instead just a matter of if I didn't enjoy it I'd go play something else. The worry of having wasted so much money is a serious damper I have to contend with. I've got a whole stack of games I've bought and never really played. Many of those are even A-list titles.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    There are good games but there aren't many trully awesome games. I mean the ones where you say wow to every aspect of the game.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmmmm well to be honest the only games I have been enjoying recently have been Bioware games haha. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are truly great games and I have been playing lots of them recently, next on the list is to dive more into dragon age at it seems to have some promise. there is a decent amount of good games for RPG, racing and an ok amount of RTS ( would love to see another supreme commander that would be a worthy successor not SupCom 2 garbage)

what most people are seeing as crappy games however is in the FPS market which gets the most releases and has had garbage games of late. like really when was the last good and fresh FPS to come out? TBH the last time we had good FPS games come out was when CPD4 and Crysis came out. they were something new made on new engines and offered different feels. now FPS games are still made using the same engines and same feel, kinda old after 3 years. look at COD for example, I could go out and spend $60 on Black Ops or I could boot up COD4 and play the SAME GAME that I already own 3 copy's of (COD4 CODWAW MW2) the rest of gaming seems to be moving along normally, the rest of FPS has COD syndrome, every FPS is trying to be or beat COD and COD is trying to stay the same as COD...
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahmer View Post
    Sales? Give me a break... you can't judge a game just on those numbers.

In the cold harsh light of reality, yes you can. If a game sells millions of copies, it's clearly catering to what people want in a game. The developers are tapping the "right" market and doing their jobs well.

Same in pop music. If you tick the boxes of the majority, it is a success. Both in demographic and financial terms.

For anything to change, tell millions of people to expect more & better.

Doesn't mean I think it's *right*... but it is *true*
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    i believe the exact opposite is true.
    i have no problem not playing many games out there today, and if i do, chances are they only last 5-10 hours (or are online play which is a category im not referring too)

back in the days of PS1 there were a slew of great RPGs and most people only touched 10% of them.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I don't think that's a universal feeling. I know that I enjoy games less when I buy them versus playing someone else's copy. I used to do a lot of the latter when I was a penniless kid. Now that I work I just buy my own outright. I feel like there's a lot more pressure when there's $50 at stake, that if I don't enjoy the game then I've made a terrible mistake. Back in the old days, it was instead just a matter of if I didn't enjoy it I'd go play something else. The worry of having wasted so much money is a serious damper I have to contend with. I've got a whole stack of games I've bought and never really played. Many of those are even A-list titles.
    It's not entirely what I meant to say.

The idea is that if you pay money for a bad game there's a congitive dissonance: 'I spend money' and 'this game is bad'. To reduce the dissonance, you force yourself to believe the game wasn't that bad after all (!= "it was great"). In order to do that, you try to find the positive aspects of the game and are more balanced in your discussions about the game. It doesn't mean you liked the game more.

It's the same with people who will try to defend the hardware they bought as being the best choice simply because they don't want to face the fact that there was a better choice.

Because there's an easy access to games to be downloaded, there is no cognitive dissonance. As there's no justification required, they can just be as negative as possible about it.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast