Thread: Dedicated 9800GTX PhysX investigated + MAFIA II benchmarks

Xtreme Guru

Dedicated 9800GTX PhysX investigated + MAFIA II benchmarks

I know there is a similar review done by miahallen i think it was? But I decided to investigate how much the processing power of a dedicated PhysX card can affect game framerate - eg Mafia II

It is often said that the number of shader units are key to the PhysX processing capability of the dedicated card. I wanted to check this and also how core and memory speed will affect framerates.

System:

E8500@4.1ghz
    GTX470 (OC - 760Mhz)
    9800GTX (ded. PhysX)
    2GB DDR3 1500Mhz

MAFIA II Demo
    PhysX HIGH
    1280x1024
    16xAF+AA set in game

Testing method:
    I used MSI Afterburner to DOWNCLOCK the 9800GTX to the minimum possible speed (505mhz Core, 1263mhz Shader clock, 825mhz Memory) . Then I increased Core, Shader and Memory clocks in turn to see how they affected framerates.
    Finally I overclocked the card by 15% to see if I could squeeze some more fps out of it.

Results:
    "Tryed putting images in so i have to direct link you guys"
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3932/avggraph.jpg
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6941/tablel.jpg

No real surprises. Shader capability is indeed where it's at for PhysX processing. Out of the 3 variables, increasing the Shader clock gives by far the greatest gains. It should be noted that Afterburner would not allow me to leave the Shader clocks at minimum when raising the Core, so the raise in Core clock is less effective than the chart implies.

It was interesting to see that a 15% overclock on the 9800GTX did give significant gains in fps.

Conclusion:
    Bump up your Shaders! It is definitely worth overclocking your dedicated PhysX card if you are using a 9800GTX or slower card. I imagine that you will get diminishing returns with GTX275 and upwards but if you are lucky enough to be using such a card for dedicated PhysX, why not? You can leave or even downclock your dedicated GPUs core and RAM in an attempt to get the max shader clock possible.

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

The problem with Mafia 2 is that it is using from 5-10% of dedicated graphic card power.
    Or maybe it is some issue with my configuration.

doh with this nice ass in your avatar i hardly was able to read
    [B][SIZE="1"]main
    i7 920 d0 @ 3,8 ghz 24/7 @ liquid
    classified 759 @ liquid
    6gb mushkin 1900 cl8
    3x wd velo raid0
    gf 480 gtx
    silverstone zeus 1200w

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Thanks johnny....a few have done a bit of testing. Here is a link to mine if anyone is curious
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...3&postcount=18
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    no problem mia, yeah i read your review was really nice, Seems as if physx in mafia 2 really helps when boosting the shader clock more then anything

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Yeah, good stuff johnny...I haven't done much testing since....but with the same ded card, the game ran OK with 5850 (slowed down a little in heavy scenes) and runs perfect with a 480 as the primary card. Fun game too
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Very nice stuff - I'd love if you did those tests @ some serious resolutions though Keep it up mate