Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my Tractor

Xtreme Addict

Talking Pimp my Tractor

I got a really cool score today, a pair of Craftsman 11hp lawn tractors

Ok, laugh if you will, but I have until Xmas to get one of them running sweet and all pimped out for my Niece, Katherine.

They were pretty dirty (still are) and stuck in the mud in a farmer's field, but free is awesome, leaves a lot of room for pimpin'!

The thing that sold me is the engines though. Under the hoods are 2 x 11HP 400cc four stroke engines. Low maintenance and really pretty powerful.By the time I'm done, hoping to have it set up with a real throttle pedal, and a side shift gearing system.

Need to get rid of all the stupid levers and just have the throttle pedal, shifter arm, and brake pedal sorted out so it's more of a go-kart than a tractor.

It's already got one decent set of tires between the 2, but I need to strip and clean the rust off the rims and I'm going to add a tube to keep the air in 100%. In the process the wheels will get painted a decent silver. If I can make enough time, I may polish the metal right down and get some spray chrome, but we'll see. Easier to do an alloy silver look.

I'd like to tub out the front and use the larger tires all around, but I haven't looked really close yet so I don't know, may be too awkward.

I'm also hoping to make the steering nicer, I may go with a longer tiller if there's room, so it's a little easier to steer.

I really want to do up a veilside kit for it, I can weld up a ground effects skirt and if I can get time, chop an old wagon up and fabricate a truck box. I only have a few weeks though, so that may have to be a future mod.

I've got all the lights here to make that shine, and since it's a really short throw on the steering, I may do a basic signal light conversion.

Ground effect lighting will be LED.

But I have 2 to make one for now, and then once I get a little more time I'll do up the second one but if I do, it'll get some more involved mods, like a reed bore and valve mod, and I know there's cranks out there for higher torque from Brigg's so I may consider it. Hell of a go cart engine these are. Could get close to 30 HP out of it, with a few parts and some playing around.

Oh, and I have a mate that does a bit on bikes and scooters, so hoping I can blag a nice exhaust for it too. Dual blowers would look amazing but I'm too broke to buy that much for it just yet, may have to just fabricate most of it, and buy a couple of chrome ends for the muffler extensions.

So that's my biggest project now, and it's a bit daunting in the timeframe.

I was a mechanic on cars for about 12 years before I swapped to refrigeration, so it's not anything I can't do, just not as young or fast as I used to be :p but it will at least run and look new, and hopefully have at least the mods necessary to make it a cool go kart.

Oh, and she's 13 now, into horses and trucks, but also into bikes and stuff (it was this, or a 'chopper' scooter. I think her parents would kill me if I got her a motorbike) but this should still be fun.

First step though, is to get one running, and the best parts into it so it's a good base, then the paint, and finally the mods.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For now why don't you just clean it up, go down to the nearest mall, and offer a photo shoot of one of Santa's helpers in a mini skirt sitting on it. That would pimp it out nicely.

You could even put antlers on it and show it towing a sleigh.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    For now why don't you just clean it up, go down to the nearest mall, and offer a photo shoot of one of Santa's helpers in a mini skirt sitting on it. That would pimp it out nicely.

You could even put antlers on it and show it towing a sleigh.

Where my Ho Ho Ho's at?

It was actually my Father (her Gramps) that talked me into it. He said something about going in on it with me, but is now nortoriously absent from the picture since they arrived. I get the feeling that while the gift may be from 'us' the actual work won't be quite so 'us' as I was led to believe

Been reading up on the specs of the tractors, get a little background on the parts since I don't work on them everyday.

Gonna get one of them running tonight though at least, maybe both. See which one seems the best for the initial project. Don't want to have to get into rebuilding if I can avoid it, Too much to do to spend huge amounts of time on any one thing. We'll see.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Cruncher
    Buddy had one of these(well technically still has). We pressed the hub out of the transmission drive pulley, welded it to of the much smaller mower deck pulleys, put that on the transmission with a slightly smaller belt so it would do about ~10-12MPH instead of 5.

Used it for woods thrashing. Front part of the chassis got all bent up, than the steering gear broke. Straightened the chassis, welded the steering gears back together. Hit a couple of big rocks, steering broke in a new place, and we just dumped it way out in the woods. Wasn't worth the hassle of trying to bring it back.

I suppose making a go-kart out of one would be fine, but they are not tough machines and won't take much of a beating.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Buddy had one of these(well technically still has). We pressed the hub out of the transmission drive pulley, welded it to of the much smaller mower deck pulleys, put that on the transmission with a slightly smaller belt so it would do about ~10-12MPH instead of 5.

Used it for woods thrashing. Front part of the chassis got all bent up, than the steering gear broke. Straightened the chassis, welded the steering gears back together. Hit a couple of big rocks, steering broke in a new place, and we just dumped it way out in the woods. Wasn't worth the hassle of trying to bring it back.

I suppose making a go-kart out of one would be fine, but they are not tough machines and won't take much of a beating.
    Heheh I think that 27hp monster is a bit of overkill for this thing, since she'll just be tooling around the yard and maybe down the dirt tracks out back. Her friend has one, but it's newer. Won't be as pimped out as hers when I'm done though

If it was gonna be a real go kart, I'd have to redo the suspension quite a lot. It's got a front 'pivot axle' which is actually pretty cool for the rough ground here, but the cornering is awful.

It's the 5 speed model though, and I'm curious about what speed that'll give. I have two transaxles though, and a load of pulleys between the one that'll run, and the parts donor so I can gear it up or down a little depending on what it feels like when I'm driving.

Got the better engine running tonight though Had to swap the carb over since the one was just dumping fuel. Saves a full rebuild on it, though I'm going to strip and clean it, bore the jet slightly, etc. All the mods I can do for, well, free for now.

Runs and idles sweet though, I'm impressed. One of the ignition modules is dead, and one carb needs work, but I swapped what was needed and jumped it to start and it's great. Thankfully the smoother transaxle is on the one with lower engine hours, and it engages first and reverse really nice. Don't know about the upper gears, will find out tomorow.

The key works the ignition, but the start contact is toast in both so for now I have a fancy pushbutton for the starter, and I'll throw a switch for 'run' and that'll be cool. Looks better that way too, though no security but it'll be safe where she lives I guess, unless I get a cheapish keystart for it.

One thing that I was a little disappointed by, no alternator so she'd have to plug in, and the batteries never last either. I want cool lights and a stereo in there too so it's off to the scrapyard to start sizing out a kit I can weld in for brackets. Don't care what car it's from or what amps, just anything will do.

The really great thing though, is that with the grass cutter gone, the PTO is free to add an alternator and there's enough room for it to go 'up' into the frame to save ground clearance. That way it'll charge itself, run lights and music and all that.

I'll have a look there for a couple of tiny mufflers from a motorcycle or scooter or something. I'm pretty good with a welder so I can throw something quiet in there. Cool looking dual exhaust would rock, but anything will do. There's loads of ground clearance to run it just like a car, though the exhaust that's on there has a weird mount, and the muffler is really light. Have to be real gentle about the welding though I have 2, so can screw up one if it happens

Well on my way with it though I now have a 'running chassis' and that was first and foremost, or this would never get off the ground. Next couple days I'll spend tightening up the transmission, suspension, fix the auto starting, and lay down the wiring for everything that'll go in once the body is off the frame. When I have something to take some pics of, I'll post it up but tomorrow is Monday and the scrappers are all open, so I can do some shoppin' and choppin' and see where this is heading.

Now that I've heard it running and driven it forwards/backwards a bit, I'm starting to get excited about the rest Something a little different to making freezers for a change too, it's good to do something different here and there.

Kind of shocked my Father, I think he had some doubts about me being able to get it running at all, much less take an old wreck that's been parked out in a farmer's field not running for 5 years and make it run in an hour or two. He was pretty surprised to hear I got it running. I may have no social skills, but I can fix just about anything.

Still, I did luck out a lot with these. Having enough parts from both so I didn't have to actually 'fix' anything, just chop and change, sure helps. The other engine sounds a bit 'hollow' like the compression's a bit low (valves likely rusted bad) but this one must have been in overlap/seated or something, the idle's way too good to have rust on the valve seats. Oil was old-ish, but not seriously black, so I just dumped it and refilled for now, will flush it later.

For being and older model, it's got most of the newer stuff in it, like being a 4stroke and having a real ign module instead of a really basic magneto, and of course the starter which was a real plus. All in all it may be old, but it's got all the 'nubs I like to see.

Should have some progress to post and pics as well by tomorrow night at the latest. If nothing else, she'll be fully working, tires actually holding air and taken for a real road test by then, if not an actual quiet exhaust and alternator in by then too if I go hard at it. Gotta be done by Xmas though, so need to keep up the momentum.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Oh yeah, and I think if I was gonna get fancy, I'd be more inclined to use the engine in it to power either one or perhaps a pair of alternators (like 100+amp) and install a couple of electric motors in there.

I think that a rear wheel drive, or even four wheel, just using some light duty starters, would give it a pretty good kick

Not in this one though. The suspension the way it is, and the brakes being mediocre, would be a real death trap if I installed a big engine or an electric motor high speed setup.

Fun though. One day I'll get a load of used bikes and chop them up for the tubing and weld a tube frame chassis. Been thinking about doing that for ages now, just a fun project for a go kart, and I think a 'hybrid' electric setup would rock.

Someday.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    actually those tractors do have "alternators" but they're not the same as what you find in a big car.

The magnets and stator are likely located in with the points.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    If we had the money, I'd sell you the nicer stratton engine in our older riding mower... but I think it has another few years left in it, till that will happen. The engines in these things always outlast the bodies. The reason is they put hollow peices of metal on it that are only painted on the outside and the inside of the peice rusts like crazy from day 1. At least thats what happened with ours. I took it apart completely and repainted the chassis, then paid someone to throw it back together again. It isn't rusting anymore. But the parts the lights are made out of are falling apart. Also the gear keeps getting stuck when I try to get it into forward and reverse. Doesn't help that the knob broke off for the 3rd time. The last one that broke put a gash in my palm.

Anyone know where I can get a knob that IS NOT PLASTIC that will fit on the gear lever of an MTD lawn mower?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    actually those tractors do have "alternators" but they're not the same as what you find in a big car.

The magnets and stator are likely located in with the points.
    Don't know if this setup has even that much, but I may be missing it.

It's got a plug that looks like the ones I see on the basic lawn mowers with electric start, and tracing the wiring I don't see anything that actually goes back to the battery at all. It's all separated by the start relay that I can see.

Could be it was just chopped out, but I don't think that it would have had the kind of juice I want.

Between a basic CD player and a couple of speakers, along with the lights, I figure10-15amps at most at any given time so it's not a huge draw but enough that even if it has a 'trickle' charge feature it won't keep up to what I'll need.

Installing the brackets will be a pita, but worth it I think. A 37a alternator won't put much strain on the engine either, even pulling hard, so should be fine.

In the longer term, I do have the spare engine and may look towards boring it if I think that more power is needed. The basic engine design is solid and easy to mod, a 400cc single piston is pretty much identical to what you'd find in a 1600cc 4 cylinder, just one piston of it, and the 'pushup' valves are seriously easy to bore and port for larger valves too. From the pics I've seen and the 'meat' in the block it could likely go to 800cc between boring and stroking so for the future, it's sitting there.

So I'm off to work, couple of hours and it'll be a real runner and I'll get some driving tests in to see where I stand, then look at the work of rebuilding from there

Oh, if anyone's done this stuff, or has any advice please feel free to post up always happy to consider ideas.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    Don't know if this setup has even that much, but I may be missing it.

It's got a plug that looks like the ones I see on the basic lawn mowers with electric start, and tracing the wiring I don't see anything that actually goes back to the battery at all. It's all separated by the start relay that I can see.

Could be it was just chopped out, but I don't think that it would have had the kind of juice I want.

Between a basic CD player and a couple of speakers, along with the lights, I figure10-15amps at most at any given time so it's not a huge draw but enough that even if it has a 'trickle' charge feature it won't keep up to what I'll need.

Installing the brackets will be a pita, but worth it I think. A 37a alternator won't put much strain on the engine either, even pulling hard, so should be fine.

In the longer term, I do have the spare engine and may look towards boring it if I think that more power is needed. The basic engine design is solid and easy to mod, a 400cc single piston is pretty much identical to what you'd find in a 1600cc 4 cylinder, just one piston of it, and the 'pushup' valves are seriously easy to bore and port for larger valves too. From the pics I've seen and the 'meat' in the block it could likely go to 800cc between boring and stroking so for the future, it's sitting there.

So I'm off to work, couple of hours and it'll be a real runner and I'll get some driving tests in to see where I stand, then look at the work of rebuilding from there

Oh, if anyone's done this stuff, or has any advice please feel free to post up always happy to consider ideas.

Gray
    Here's the info you're looking for. Charging capacity is between 10 and 16 amps

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/...harge_ignition
    www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf
    www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_id.pdf

Some lights and a stereo unit looks doable.

Xtreme Addict
    Sweet thanks

Even 10 amps will do, since the battery is new now it should work well. I'll have to do some tests and see which one works best, if at all. Sure is easier than a full alternator mod!

One of the tractors has a ammeter and one doesn't. Kind of wierd, possibly different alt's or maybe just one is a touch old and didn't get it.

Whatever, just need to check the wiring and the output of the alternator. As long as it'll power a decent size headlight with the battery disconnected I can at least assume that it's putting out power, whether full power or not I won't know until I start to load it down.

Awesome

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is crazy! Crazy COOL, that is!
    Check it out, I'm in the DETROIT MOWER GANG
    Watch out, your niece may fall in with a gang if you get her a hotrod lawn tractor!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Addict
    Sweet!

That Husqy is amazing! That actually gives me a couple of idea for some of the esthetics too, the wheels looks really nice. I may end up tinting something to cover the headlights to give it that dark fronted look that one has, though it looks like the lights are out of it. I have some tint here, so would just need some kind of glass, though you can get spray tint for lights, may go that way.

Her friend has one, so I guess 2 makes a mini gang, but if I could get the 2nd one running then her other friend could borrow it. That's be pretty cool, see the three of 'em running around on them.

Her friend's is bone stock, so I'm hoping when I'm done she'll be the coolest tractor queen on the block. Just hope she'll like it though, being 13 chicks are pretty fickle about stuff

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    This is crazy! Crazy COOL, that is!
    Check it out, I'm in the DETROIT MOWER GANG
    Watch out, your niece may fall in with a gang if you get her a hotrod lawn tractor!
    .......seriously? I'm sorry but WTH.

wow...

A lawnmower gang?

Do you have turf wars with rival weed whacker and leaf blower gangs?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm

If a war is what you want, I did get 3 chainsaws (not running) for free when I picked up the tractors. Wonder if I could get them mounted on the front and rear of a tractor when I'm done?

Heck with a lawnmower, dual front end chainsaws would make a great zombie killin' machine!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    LOL Add it to L4D2 and we'll talk.

Xtreme Addict

Zombie Killa!

So yeah, heard something about the local facility accidentally releasing the T-Virus (happens so often lately) so I did a quick mod to the tractor. Can never be too careful.

There you go Judaeus, think they'll give us one of these in L4D3?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG 
Views:	895 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	109893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG 
Views:	727 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	109894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG 
Views:	742 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	109895  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    lol

Xtreme Addict
    Well I've been a little lax in the updates, but it's as done as it can be for Xmas.

The seat got a quick patch, I just couldn't find one anywhere and didn't have a lot of time to look. It'll either get one, or a seat cover, soon as I find something, but it's ok. Black duct tape fixes all!

List of mods...

Carb rejet and tune
    Custom Header pipe and exhaust system
    Pedal conversion to foot pedal
    Hood insulation package
    Paint (lots of it)
    New battery
    Custom perspex tinted headlight lenses
    Rear running lights
    Ford Mustang hood and side symbols
    Front tube bumper (end caps didn't get here in time)
    ALU pushbutton start/light and start switch

Some of the modding pics...

So she likes the horsies, and being 13 it's her first 'car' so wanted to make it something cool in the end.

Didn't get time to weld up a truck box, but that'll come, or it'll get a small trailer with a bolt-in seat option.

Biggest mods were the pedal conversion and the exhaust. Had to cut and weld 1.25" pipe for a header, then weld on the aftermarket 'silencer' part of it which is actually a tractor muffler add-on. When the muffler went on (scrapyard special, new GM car exhaust, can't remember what make) it got really quiet, ran way smoother, and the total effect was actually a pretty good performance increase. Guess I got the tuning right, it accellerates amazingly well.

Shame about a few of the welds, though it's hard to see any of that anyways. The welder's spool ran out, and I got the wrong size for it. the .9mm size was jamming a lot and wouldn't hold, and I didn't have a great deal of time, so a quick grind and get it sealed.

I'll probably borrow it at some point, and fix that up. Just replace the small exhaust part and make the welds nice. They're only 10 bucks. Easier than the work of grinding and reworking it. Some of the pipes were pretty far off though, and it took some 'filling' there, so I can't do a lot about it. Once it was sealed, I was nervous about grinding it smooth in case I opened up a leak

the pedal conversion and jet tuning went hand in hand. Had to weld in some stuff for a cross pedal conversion. Worked on, gives full throttle and pretty smooth. Added a spring return on both the lever of the carb, and the pedal.

Oh, that's grip tape on the new pedals. They're plastic, and I had a roll of the grip tape from a project (3M, the good stuff) so it ended up great that way.

All I did for the rejet was go up one drill size overall, and added 2 holes to the crossflow tube. made it way beefier on accelleration, and revs up fast.

I think it's around 20mph top speed in 5th gear now, but haven't been able to get it behind a car for a check. Raining here in Vancouver so it's not so fun on the road.

I hope she likes it though. Was way too much work. Total cost around 150 bucks since the tractors were free. Just a lot of paint and pretty stuff.

Merry Xmas

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

100% Load 24/7
    That looks fantastic, I think she'll be very happy. Great job.
    Main Rig
    i7 2600k l Asus P8P67 l 2x2gb Gskill l GTS450 l Venomous X l XClio 680

Xtreme Addict
    LOLLl epic tractor pimpin thread
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Addict
    Well it turns out it wasn't quite the 'hit' I was hoping for, but she's a teenager and it's hard to tell.

Depends on how the weather goes, I'll try to get her out to the sand dunes to play around on it.

I did a bit of a 'show' so she could see how it handles and I gave it a few revs in 5th and dropped the clutch. Wheels were about a foot off the ground.

The accelleration is pretty cool in this thing, but I know I like driving way more than she does.

We'll see. But the neighborhood kid that has a tractor (stock) heard about it and saw me doing wheelies and was pretty jealous. I think I may end up being asked to 'pimp' that one too.

Don't know, this one was enough work :p

But thanks it was worth doing, like it or not. Hope she knows it's cuz I think she's special. My only neice and I want to spoil her if I can.

Oh, and the Brother was pretty ok with it, but my sister in law wants me to die. Painfully. So that was a success

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Legend
    lol at the neighbourhood kid
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

c[_]
    not bad, actually looks pretty nice

Could always modify it into a go-cart with some more time.. darn kids these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast