Thread: Do (Windows 7 32) drivers usually work under Windows XP 32?

Xtreme Addict

Do (Windows 7 32) drivers usually work under Windows XP 32?

I picked up a cheap AMD notebook on Black Friday, and I'm trying to decide if it's possible to wipe the hard drive and put Windows XP 32 on it. The problem lies in that while there is a lot of driver software on the HP website for this model (HP G56-127NR), there is no graphics driver listed under Windows XP while Audio, LAN, etc, are all there. Is it implied that I could use the Windows 7 Graphics Driver, or is it that everything exists for XP EXCEPT Graphics Drivers
    1.7%

YouTube Addict
    NO. The Windows driver model changed with Windows Vista and unless the driver also includes a legacy xp driver with their Windows 7 driver [sometimes happens]; then you are out of luck and probably check AMD for proper drivers. [They should have what you need]
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

vista and 7 use the same driver, xp is totaly diffrent and 7 is beter than xp in battery life so keep it.

for a graphics driver check amds site and get the chipset driver it may work but not always depending on the laptop bios
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I'm just curious, why are you wanting to go from 7 to XP? From everything I've seen & heard so far is that 7 runs better on older hardware than XP.
    So I'm curious why?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    I'm just curious, why are you wanting to go from 7 to XP? From everything I've seen & heard so far is that 7 runs better on older hardware than XP.
    So I'm curious why?
    Really? I'd think XP has a smaller footprint which would be better for a single-core laptop like this one --plus I thought that I wasn't going to get real DX10 use on a Radeon 4250 anyway so XP would be a better fit.

Now I'm debating whether to stay on Aero or back to Classic mode as Aero supposedly runs on GPU which would take a lot of the load off this single-core in comparison to running in Classic mode.
    1.7%

Xtreme Member
    rather jsut stick to 7, CPU wise the two OS's are the same, if anything 7's aggressive caching may make your laptop more responsive (depending on how much RAM you have). I had a significant improvement going from XP to 7 on my new dell (stupid IT department at work still installs XP on all new machines by default.

By my understanding 7 does take less in resources, if set right. Being a single core cpu, I'd suggest backing down the "purdeeness" crap. Just to check it out and all.
    IMO, being new, I'd run it for a bit as is overall and see how it runs for you. If it lags in areas, loading programs or whatever, then disable this or that feature or a combination of different un-needed/wanted "features" til it runs like you'd like it to.

coldon does make a fair point, the amount of ram could make a difference. I'd say with at least 2 gigs and I don't think you'd have much of a problem.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    (stupid IT department at work still installs XP on all new machines by default.
    I got win 7 32 bit on my year 2001 laptop, only problem was to find vga driver for win 7 32 bit.
    I post it here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=261897

Win7 yes runs abit slow on that laptop, i dont mind if runs slow maybe coz windows 7 32 ultimate?
    it takes fiew days to install anything for xp and win7 got it all, maybe no flash and no java.
    In win7 is good support for updates

back to topic
    Maybe they are using hardrive cloning, (im using cloning when i get new hardrive, simply too much to install after new windows)
    later after installing cloned hard drive they simply install drivers for mainboard-graphics
    Last edited by Nikolasz; 11-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser777 View Post
    I picked up a cheap AMD notebook on Black Friday, and I'm trying to decide if it's possible to wipe the hard drive and put Windows XP 32 on it. The problem lies in that while there is a lot of driver software on the HP website for this model (HP G56-127NR), there is no graphics driver listed under Windows XP while Audio, LAN, etc, are all there. Is it implied that I could use the Windows 7 Graphics Driver, or is it that everything exists for XP EXCEPT Graphics Drivers
    Get to intel website and check with autoupdate
    http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm
    It give you links for websites of your hardware, and even if is not intel made

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    By my understanding 7 does take less in resources, if set right. Being a single core cpu, I'd suggest backing down the "purdeeness" crap. Just to check it out and all.
    IMO, being new, I'd run it for a bit as is overall and see how it runs for you. If it lags in areas, loading programs or whatever, then disable this or that feature or a combination of different un-needed/wanted "features" til it runs like you'd like it to.

coldon does make a fair point, the amount of ram could make a difference. I'd say with at least 2 gigs and I don't think you'd have much of a problem.
    I'm in total agreement, do what he says . Windows 7 is making original XP systems run better than they did when they were new with XP. Now that is impressive. Try out 7 for a bit, it is so much better than xp was, and night and day comparing to vista.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |