Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mainstream sandybridge: a near perfect cruncher?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    Yeah i haven't heard as much about bulldozer as I have SB, what's the general consensus about BD?
    I have no idea what BD is going to offer. If it offers 10% more performance clock for clock compared to phenom 2 and offers 8 cores for the current pricing scheme of thuban, I will be interested. Honestly, the thing that intrigues me the most is Interlagos, especially if they keep their current socket g34 pricing similar. I'd imagine it would have 12 core and 16 core varients. If the slowest 12 core is at the same price as the current slowest 8 core offering, I think it would be a nice cruncher. Especially if there is increased IPC and frequency (due to 32nm).

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Not just pricing. Consider how much performance Intel have been adding with each generation WITHOUT AMD as a real performance competitor ... now consider what would happen if AMD pull something special out of the bag with Bulldozer. Intel aren't going to really "dig deep" without a reason to do so.
    I wish AMD had similar performance to Intel as competition is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Interesting tidbit with SB and UEFI and asus...
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...cal.interface/
    and a leak about laptops...
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...ks.in.new.pcs/
    I don't really see any benefits from UEFI for me. Pulled from wiki:

* Ability to boot from large disks (over 2TB)
    * Faster boot-up
    * CPU-independent architecture
    * CPU-independent drivers
    * Flexible pre-OS environment, including networking support
    * Modular design

Lower boot does not matter as my daily use only gets restarted for critical updates. My 2 other crunchers don't get rebooted. The 2TB limit doesn't matter to me, plus who would make a 2TB bootable partition. The rest I don't know the meaning...

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    I have no idea what BD is going to offer. If it offers 10% more performance clock for clock compared to phenom 2 and offers 8 cores for the current pricing scheme of thuban, I will be interested.
    I was about to post just this. I figure a 4ghz 8 core BD will be doing at least ~40k ppd and as long as it does that and I can snag a low end model for ~$200 push the fsb Im sold.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeldoran View Post
    I wish AMD had similar performance to Intel as competition is nice.
    I've been an AMD fan for years, my first PC was a K6-2 350MHz unit which I still have sitting behind my left shoulder albeit in 500MHz form, but sine the Core2s came out it's been all Intel. I really want AMD to come out with a game-changer like the Athlon XPs were, I really do, but I just haven't seen it yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    I was about to post just this. I figure a 4ghz 8 core BD will be doing at least ~40k ppd and as long as it does that and I can snag a low end model for ~$200 push the fsb Im sold.
    If they make BD compatible with AM3 sockets and DDR2/DDR3 then I would be interested. If they require another mobo upgrade than that's a deal breaker for me.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sandy Bridge is likely to be the next big cruncher if for no other reason than because stores like Microcenter are selling through their current stocks of 1156 and 1336 processors and not replacing the stock, including motherboards. The Tustin, CA Microcenter seems pretty intent on clearing out inventory for January...

The best deals are likely to be Sandy Bridge in January. Luckily, memory prices also are dropping a bit, Black Friday sales aside...

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    The 2600s looks really nice. Are those prices on there going to be the retail prices? If so, I am pretty stoked.

lol...just saw the 2600k is only a bit more, but more wattage.....hmmm. Unlocked too?
    Last edited by [XC] Hicks121; 12-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Hicks121 View Post
    The 2600s looks really nice. Are those prices on there going to be the retail prices? If so, I am pretty stoked.

lol...just saw the 2600k is only a bit more, but more wattage.....hmmm. Unlocked too?
    I'm not sure how good pricing will be, but it seems that prices should be slightly higher than the first core series when it debuted (based on the leaks). Motherboard pricing appears to have similar targets. If Microcenter has the 2600 for $250 or so, then they're going to get some fantastic business.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    Enthusiast = big price tag. Always has and I don't see why this time around would be any different.

I've always likes black PCB s because black goes with every other color and makes the other colors pop. I'm sort of a minimalist tho. However I would love to see white too!
    there was a white pcb mobo 5 or 6 years ago...

I can't remember who made it though...

edit: it was a Sapphire mobo for AMD chip:
    Attached Images Attached Images

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Without having much knowledge of what socket 2011 will do I have to say that based on what I know the SB chips will be the most efficient electrical usage chips we've ever seen and I mean by a factor of so much many of you would call me a liar if I showed you what I've seen.
    This isn't an evolutionary step forward in electrical efficiency, it's a revolutionary step forward.
    How good without getting into benches?
    I think 25-2600 SB systems would out do DDTUNGS farm of 55-Q6600's and his 50-60 office dells and thats no BS and cost 1/4-1/5th the electric to run them.
    SB IS the next i7-920 for the masses of crunchers and a Godsend for those with high electric rates.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look at where he lives, so i guess i will wait for bd and lga2011 to get me a nice workstation for AE and crunching.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When are the server versions coming out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12