Thread: Need help cleaning blocks/fittings

Xtreme Member

Need help cleaning blocks/fittings

So I realized I hadn't opened my computer in about a year...much less seen what my loop is like. So I did so and discovered that black algae has basically taken over my computer. Out came the tube cutters, and my loop now lies in pieces all over the kitchen.

My GTZ and EK NB block are both entirely black inside, covered in algae. They are currently soaking in vinegar, ketchup having proved ineffective. Have been for the past hour. Looks promising so far. Have been scrubbing them periodically with a new toothbrush.

My big problem is the fittings. Standard BP compressions. Many of them are...gross. Covered in rust, black algae, I don't even know what, I'd like to clean them down. CLR? Money is a little tight so I would really prefer not to have to buy new ones at multiple dollars a pop. This is a pretty big loop. It would not be cheap.

I think I'm also gonna need to take apart my DD FC block, which makes me unhappy. The acrylic on those things looks fragile as hell, and there's no way DD will service it. Can I clean it without taking the acrylic off? I can soak it in vinegar without removing anything, but I won't be able to do any sort of scrubbing. Same thing also with my EK MOSFET blocks. They're more robust but I'm not eager to take off (and then consequently re-tighten) anything acrylic.

Anyone who's been here before, please chime in.

Xtreme Enthusiast

i gave up on cleaning my old rig and bought all new kit

tried all the tricks and failed

got any pics?
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by closetredneck View Post
    Not really what's going on. That's a "normal" loop cleaning, not "oops I forgot to do anything with my loop and now it's overgrown and crud-filled".
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post

i gave up on cleaning my old rig and bought all new kit

tried all the tricks and failed

got any pics?
    Yikes! I can get some pics as soon as my laptop is charged enough to upload them. On the web on my "smart" phone (it's pretty dumb).

I am Xtreme
    For the fittings, try bleach. I'd try it first with just 1 fitting to see if anything bad happens to the plating. It should work faster than vinegar as it's a natural enemy to bio's. Make sure to take the o-ring off first.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    For the fittings, try bleach. I'd try it first with just 1 fitting to see if anything bad happens to the plating. It should work faster than vinegar as it's a natural enemy to bio's. Make sure to take the o-ring off first.
    Will do. Still need advice re: GPU block. Also, I have algae growing inside my XSPC restop. Vinegar? What will that do to my DDC?

I am Xtreme
    Keep vinegar away from o-rings, some of the types of rubber used don't like.

I'd toss bleach at everything except the o-rings and acrylic myself. The acrylic should clean up fairly easy with just water and a stiff scrubbing with a soft brush.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Guru
    WL: O-rings can be easily taken off/put back again .. but how about inner ones in rotaries?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    WL: O-rings can be easily taken off/put back again .. but how about inner ones in rotaries?
    I'd imagine rotaries would be a no go. Then again, if someone could be brave enough for science's sake to test it, we'd known for certain if BP uses a rubber that stands up to vinegar/bleach. Won't be me because I have "policy" about buying their stuff, or rather. . .not buying their stuff.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why don't you like BP WL ?
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Banned

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    why don't you like BP WL ?
    That goes back about 2 years and has been covered a few times around here. . .don't really feel like getting into it again.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    Already said, not helpful. He has nothing I would consider abnormal anywhere to clean. Some severe oxidation, but I've dealt with that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    That goes back about 2 years and has been covered a few times around here. . .don't really feel like getting into it again.
    Kind of amusing, actually. BP was god, everyone loved them...then, not. I still dislike Feser far more than BP. Wouldn't buy BP for my rebuild in 2-3 years, though.

Banned
    [QUOTE=DeathWalking;4642779]Already said, not helpful. He has nothing I would consider abnormal anywhere to clean.

I'm sorry i missed that and like you say- basic cleaning,the only other thing i can think of WD40 for rust or purple dragon if you can find it (it have some acid thou ),good luck

Xtreme Member
    So, a quick update -- CLR does absolutely nothing for cleaning what looks like rust off of these fittings. Neither does bleach. Going to the hardware store to see if they have something professional strength.

Vinegar works OMG wonders for dissolving algae. I filled my restop with vinegar and 1 drop of PTNuke, came back in 4 hours, res was spotless. The baseplate of my GTZ and NB block took longer, and required scrubbing. MOSFET blocks are my current project. I'm trying to clean them with only vinegar...while they're still mounted to the mobo. Bad idea, I know, but I don't want to detach the mobo. So that's obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    Are you sure it's not the brass showing through on the fittings? Can you post a decent pic?
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Member
    And another update. The vinegar on the copper of the mosfet blocks is working wonders. They're nearly entirely clean. Only work I've done is applied light pressure with a wet paper towel in between vinegar treatments. Definitely a viable cleaning strategy, if you've got the time and don't want to detach the block in question.

I'm pretty sure it's not brass, because it's a "growth" on top of the fitting, not a discoloration of the fitting itself.