Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: The T.E.C. gallery

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks alot dude .

I'm using this tec calculator app now and from what I can tell.
    I can get away with cooling say 2 mem sticks down with these cheap tec's if I plan and do it right.
    That is, without wasting to much energy.

Using the 5v or 3v rail (better probably to use the 5v to be safe).
    2 tec's for 2 sticks, or 8 tec's for 2 sticks.
    Not likely to beable to fit that many 40mm tec's and still have room inbetween the sticks to cool them correctly.
    Probably the best idea would to use a tec block, 2x tec's, that goes on top of both sticks, attaching the block to both sticks on there custom heatsinks.

Seems like it might be possible to cool them decently, 10-20c, with either the 5v or 3v rail.
    And only use from 10-30w's of power, plus a fan(about 5w's or so, 12v at say 0.6a, or less on pwm controller).

The only real issue is the heatsink assembly I think.

Other then that I'm wondering about chipset cooling.
    I'm guessing they use about 45w's of power, and can get up to 48c in some configs.
    I'll have to do some research and stuff.

Seems like to me that you can cool some things, excluding cpu, gpu.
    And not waste a bunch of power doing it.
    Past what fans could do alone, fans at best are only gonna get you on the edge of the ambient temp if that.
    Tec's on the other hand can get you 10c or 20c lower with the same amount of energy you'de waste on the fan (example, if you run a delta fan full speed trying to super cool mem, it's never gonna happen and you're gonna waste 20 watts+ of energy trying).

I'll have to do alot more research though.
    Alot more, to make effective use of these cheapo tec's without wasting a huge amount of power cooling my system.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 12-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Thanks alot dude .

Alot more, to make effective use of these cheapo tec's without wasting a huge amount of power cooling my system.
    Hey!!! NEOAethyr!!! I haven't seen you in ages!!

I'm in the process of researching and building a new rig. But I've always enjoyed this thread.. Heheh.. And I often return to check the latest post..

Anyway once again I'm considering a TEC option. But I don't think I'll be bothered with the worry of saving energy.. Or small tec's.. I'll buy the biggest-meanest TEC I can find.(Or 2#) And a suitably Big-Mean Meanell psu to go with it. Still theres lotsa' other stuff to consider beyond that. I think cpu only tec/water cooling.. (The 570 can breath air) The chipset may get h2o. The water-block and tec and copper plate are my big concern. Then the water-proofing is the next major issue.(I've never done that before.) The rest of the stuff already I have..(Except the Meanwell)

Best to you "Neo"..
    "Clay"
    Last edited by Clay; 03-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Addict
    Hi Clay, didn't realize you posted in this thread until a min ago, sorry lol.

I'm trying to look up the specs on this 12709 tec I got form ebay a while back.
    So far the info I found says:

If it is a 12709 (the Qmax of a 12709 is a fair bit less than 100w.) the 127 bit means a 127 couple TEC (127 couples are always 15.6v max.) the 09 is.... ( big drum roll )....the max current rating ... so it is 9amps.
    15.6v @ 9 amps
    Umax 15.6v
    Imax 9amps

I'm guessing around 80w Qmax, not sure though (umax * imax / 2 ???).
    These are dirt cheap, you get enough of them in parallel and they will do some stuff without killing the bank.

Just one of these should be enough for a chipset or a set of mem.

I know most use a heavy duty psu, but I've got these old reliable psu's from enermax, a few 300w's and a few 350w ones.
    And I've tested the tec on the 5v and 12v, on the 3v the psu shuts down, stock psu.

The cold side gets cold but not frosty when I was messing around.
    The hot side just builds up more and more heat, without a load.
    I'm gonna play with it again in a few mins though.

If I just had a few aluminum plates or copper plates I could rig up my mem to use it.

I've got this old thermaltake tower 112 cooler that I can't use for anything so I'll use that for the hot side while I wait for it to get frosty, I wanna see ice lol.
    Then I know it's good to use for something.

Right now I've got a 90w fan config on my stock cpu cooler (2x delta's).
    I got them running at very low voltage though.
    I need to figure out something lol.

Edit:
    I tried it out on my themaltake tower 112, a full copper cooler.
    It sure got that sucker hot.
    The cold side was, the best I can explain is burning cold, but not frosty.
    Looks like I don't need to worry about ambients and such with it.

The important thing is that the cold side stayed cold the whole time even when the hot side got pretty hot.
    Not sure how much of a load it can really sustain though.

I was running it on 12v on an older enermax 350w.

It'll probably work for mem but I'm not sure if it'll work for anything else, unless I get more of them or a better one.

12v @ 9amps is around 108 watts, it would be slightly over then because my 12v isn't 12v.
    I guess it would make for a efficient heater but that's not my goal lol.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-26-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Hi Clay, didn't realize you posted in this thread until a min ago, sorry lol.

I'm trying to look up the specs on this 12709 tec I got form ebay a while back.
    So far the info I found says:

15.6v @ 9 amps
    Umax 15.6v
    Imax 9amps

I'm guessing around 80w Qmax, not sure though (umax * imax / 2 ???).
    These are dirt cheap, you get enough of them in parallel and they will do some stuff without killing the bank..
    Customthermo sell 2 12709's one is 40mm square the other 50mm square they both have QMAX OF 77.1W.

Qmax is the cooling power and bears no relation to the wattge calculated using Ohm's Law because TEC's are semiconductors and therefore non-linesr devices and Linear calcs such as Ohm's Law will not get you the correct answer.

This is rated as a 15.4v 9a unit and at 12v will draw between 6.5-7.5 amps depending on the Dt achieved. In general under normal sort of conditions you are going to get between 20-40w cooling at 12v.

Depending on various things you could have 120w of heat coming off the hotside which needs to be got rid of - a heatsink fan combo should just about do it...dont run the TEC at 12v for too long without any hotside cooling it will have a bit impact on its longetivity and reliability and will ultimatly cause it's early demise.

Xtreme Member
    I usually don't post in this thread... Cause I really don't have anything to show.. (Yet) And it may be awhile. I'll post some details in my noob thread on tec's. No point in double posting everywhere..
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Member
    This is my RamTecWaterblock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TecRam.jpg 
Views:	2697 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	118780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecramblock (1).jpg 
Views:	2606 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	118781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecramblock.jpg 
Views:	2634 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	118782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tecramblock4.jpg 
Views:	2710 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	118783  
    混沌とした アンモラル

Xtreme Member
    Swiftech MCW60-T with 236 qmax 40x40 lairdtech next to powerfull sctb nord 24128 430 qmax 50x50 tec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcw60-t.jpg 
Views:	1920 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	125423  
    混沌とした アンモラル

Thumbs up Bumping for nostalgia :)

My li' Chiller

-6x 12715 TECs 3x3 in series (14aug wiring)+ parallel (12aug wiring)@ power supply
    -PSU rating 48V x 50A Max DC adjusted down to 32V DC
    -12" total surface area (2"x 6") x 2)
    -Dual loop LCS
    ----Hot side: 800lph pump , 20 fl oz. res. , 10mm ID tubing, into an 240mm Rad salvaged from a Hayden transmission cooler with push/pull "cheapo" 120mm fans (10mm spacers)
    ( Coolant= Distilled Water + 91% rubbing alcohol (9:1 mixture)
    ----Cold side: 500lph pump, 20fl oz res., 10mm (3/8") ID automotive grade fuel line tubing, in to a copper water block w/ 1/4" shim. All fully
    insulated. (Coolant = Ammonia)

Frozen cooling block:

After 12 hours of gaming with an 8320:
    Last edited by mrinfinit3; 10-29-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Now the goal is to shrink it down to the size of your typical CD/DVD drive. Excluding the rad of course.
    Sadly I had to tear down the chiller in order to make room for the new server....which of course I also liquid cooled
    'cause I have a "thing" against air for the last several years.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678