Thread: Help me unlock my 555 cpu please

Help me unlock my 555 cpu please

Hi All,
    I am trying to unlock my 555 BE with little success at the momemt. Hopefully you guys can help please. My system is;
    Asus M4A785D-M PRO mobo
    4 x 1g corsair cm2x pc2 6400 ram
    750 g hdd
    freezer pro 7 cooler
    artic cooling 500w psu
    bios is the latest version - 1001

It is my first attempt to unlock/overclock and have read through alot of posts searching for advice and tips
    I've tried a few different settings in the bios and managed once to get it to boot as far as saying " 2 new cores activated" on the screen, but it kept shutting down and got as far as post and nothing more.
    Things i have tried are;
    ACC enabled - Unleashing enabled - active cpu auto. This will not boot and i reset the cmos every time and load defaults and start tweaking again.
    I've also upped the cpu volts and nb volts and memory volts to various settings but without any success really. I've not tried adjusting cpu multiplier or cpu/ht clock speed, nor have i adjusted hyper transport settings or ram timings as i'm not sure what to do with these safely.
    I've also enabled and disabled - cool and quiet, C1E, and have tried per core, all cores, turning some cores off etc.
    Pretty much everything!
    It does show 6 cores in the bios, and as i said earlier i did manage once to get as far as post with the message "2 new cores activated", but it wouldn't boot and i cant remember what the seetings were.
    I'm hoping i have a cpu that can unlock as i've seen that message. Fingers crossed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Johnny D

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey Johnny...

It sounds like you got a chip that actually has a bad core(s).
    Normally activating ACC and Unleashing mode is all you would need to do.
    Adding voltage to the CPU and IMC may help, but still you probably won't be able to get it stable as an X4...

It's all luck of the draw really, sometimes you find a pearl and other times it's just an oyster...

On the brighter side, I did get a 555 that wouldn't unlock, BUT, it's beast of an X2!!!
    After giving up on the unlocking and just running in dual mode the thing would do 4Ghz at stock v's
    and 4.4 with 1.475!

I still consider it a very nice chip for $95....
    Last edited by Daveburt714; 11-24-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: hit save too early
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

X. I. P.
    It can be luck. I bought two identical sets of parts to build a rig for me and one for my son. Both used same stepping BE 555. Mine unlocks to three cores, my son's to 4. Both OC about the same.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Guys,
    Thanks for the info.
    I know its pot luck and maybe i've been unlucky this time. I've tried several things, but did have the message "2 new cores activated" once, which made me think i could have a cpu that unlocks, but it wouldn't boot. I've increased the cpu volts as high as 1.6+ and i just got a blank screen. I'm quite a novice at the overclocking and unlocking malarky but i'll have a go.
    I read somewhere about adjusting the cpu multiplier to 17.5 but i'm not sure if it's safe. I also wondered if my psu was powerful enough (500w) to boot with the extra loads.
    Any advice is always appreciated,
    Johnny D

Guys,
    These are my current bios settings that successfully boot
    CPU overclocking - Auto
    cool & quiet - disabled
    C1e - enabled
    ACC per core
    unleashing - disabled
    active cpu cores - auto
    cpu - 1.4v
    vddnb - 1.2v
    ram - 1.8v

the active cores are 0,1,2 and 3 and are all at -2%

cpuz shows the following
    AMD phenom ii x 2 555 Calisto brand id 39
    core voltage - 1.376-1.392
    core speed - 3214.2 mhz
    multiplier - x16
    bus speed - 200.9 mhz
    ht link - 2009 mhz
    Cores 2 Threads 2

you'll see unleashing is disabled. If i enable unleashing it'll probably fail to boot!
    Hope this helps you guys. Thanks.
    Johnny D

X. I. P.
    I can unlock all 4 cores on mine, but windows won't boot with core 3 (4th core) enabled. So, just because BIOS reports a successful unlock it doesn't mean you have a STABLE core.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Xtreme Addict
    These are 4-Core CPU, but keep in mind some of these, one or two cores are bad/defected, that's why AMD relabeled them as X2 555. Some are not as bad, so with the proper motherboard feature, we can Unlock these hidden/bad/defected Cores, but it's not always the case for every 555. It just so happens that you may have gotten a CPU with two really bad/defected Cores, so Unlocking them will make your system unstable. I myself got one that my mobo is able to Unlock the two hidden cores without any issue. It's a draw of luck.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

Guys,
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try a few more tweaks such as enabling and disabling certain cores. The bios has shown up to six cores, but whether 3,4,5 or 6 will unlock is another matter. I shall have another crack at it. Like i said in an earlier post i did manage to get a message on screen during boot " 2 new cores activated" which makes me think i could be lucky one day and unlock this tricky bugger. I shall keep persivering. Thanks so far. All help is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Johnny D

At last I seem to have had a little bit of success after some trial and error tweaking.
    Cpuz is now showing AMD phenom ii x 4 deneb. It is only showing 2 cores and 2 threads though so i don't think i've totally cracked it yet. Some of the other readings in cpuz seem abit inconsistent and differ from my bios settings though.
    cpuz
    core voltage - 1.104
    core speed - 803.6 mhz
    multiplier - x 4
    bus speed - 200.9 mhz
    ht link - 2009 mhz

My bios settings are
    system info - AMD phenom (TM) ii x 4 B55 processor
    cpu oc - auto
    cpu overvoltage - 1.4625v
    vddnb - 1.35.000v
    ram overvolts - 1.8v
    cool & quiet and C1E - can be either disabled or enabled and it boots
    ACC - all cores
    unleashing mode - enabled
    active cpu cores - manual
    2nd core - off
    3rd core - on
    4th core - off
    5th core - off
    6th core - off
    value all cores - 2%

It seems strange that the 2nd core is off don't you think. I'm abit unsure where to go from here. Do i have to muck about enabling and disabling certain cores or adjust voltages or multipliers. Bit of a novice i'll admit and at 41 things in the techno world can test my brain abit, but i am not giving up. ( Could end in divorce!) Appreciate the tips so far everyone
    Thanks
    Johnny D

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    I can unlock all 4 cores on mine, but windows won't boot with core 3 (4th core) enabled. So, just because BIOS reports a successful unlock it doesn't mean you have a STABLE core.
    +1000 to that ...

its a luck of the draw thing johnyD

i only have 3 good cores on mine .. but for the price i paid i dont really mind until something better comes out ....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    Guys,
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try a few more tweaks such as enabling and disabling certain cores. The bios has shown up to six cores, but whether 3,4,5 or 6 will unlock is another matter. I shall have another crack at it. Like i said in an earlier post i did manage to get a message on screen during boot " 2 new cores activated" which makes me think i could be lucky one day and unlock this tricky bugger. I shall keep persivering. Thanks so far. All help is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Johnny D

i did try to unlock all of my 4 cores on my 555 and it worked in bios .. but then again it will never boot into windows ... but when i disable the bad core everything boots just fine ...

try finding your bad core and disable that one .. and get at least a x3 out of that dual core ...

its a luck of the draw thing ... dont expect too much and you wont be disapointed ...
    Last edited by Sn0wm@n; 11-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Hi Snowman,

I'm gonna have a go at finding the bad core. Seems abit strange that its booted without core 2 though don't you think. Surely that cant be a bad core. I've disabled cool & quiet again as that was what was making the indifferent readings in cpuz.
    Thanks for the help,
    Johnny D

Guys,
    I think i have to admit defeat and accept i may only beable to use it as a dual core. No matter which core configuration i used ( and i've used alot) it wont unlock to x3 or x4.
    I'll either have to sell this one, and try unlocking another chip, or perhaps overclock this one. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with tips and advice. I might read up on which is the best quad core for cash, or think about another dual core to try and unlock. Unless anyone wants to add abit of input on this thread.
    Cheers,
    Johnny D

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    Guys,
    I think i have to admit defeat and accept i may only beable to use it as a dual core. No matter which core configuration i used ( and i've used alot) it wont unlock to x3 or x4.
    I'll either have to sell this one, and try unlocking another chip, or perhaps overclock this one. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with tips and advice. I might read up on which is the best quad core for cash, or think about another dual core to try and unlock. Unless anyone wants to add abit of input on this thread.
    Cheers,
    Johnny D
    I would suggest you get a True Quad core ( Athlon II X4 635/640/645) for similar price range) , even it may not unlock 6MB L3 , it's still a quad
    I was having some luck , I bought two 555BE and both of them unlock into Quad and they both clock to 4GHz without any problem , but the third one I got can't unlock , just like yours

At the end I got a "old" stock Athlon II X4 635 and it's nice

Gaming Rig
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (45W ECO mode)
    HSF : Noctua C14S
    MB : ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
    RAM : G.Skill F4-3000C14-16GTZR x4 @ DDR4-3000 CL14
    VGA : MSI RTX2070
    PSU : Antec NeoECO Gold 650W
    Case : Corsair 100R ATX
    SSD : Samsung PM981a 1TB + Corsair MP510 1.9GB M.2 SSD

Xtreme Member
    It could be the mobo. I have a 550 and 555 that unlocked just fine with 3 other mobos (like Gigabyte 890gx) but not my Asus M4A78T-E, in my experience the M4A-series are buggy.

Guys,

I was wondering if it might be the motherboard. Cpuz says that the southbridge is 700. The asus website says that the board i have is a 710. I know cpuz can be unreliable sometimes. With the bios having the ACC feature i assume i have a board with sb710. Cpuz just put an element of doubt in my mind. I might consider a budget upgrade to ddr3. Seen a reasonable deal for an asrock m3a ucc 480x mobo and 4g of ddr3 for about £80. Could be the way to go. Any thoughts appreciated
    Johnny D