Thread: Low profile CPU block

Xtreme Member

Low profile CPU block

Hello XS,

Looking again for some CPU blocks for use in some quad socket systems. Preferably the systems would have a height of 1U.

The combined height of the CPU, socket, motherboard and rear mounted components is 13.56mm, meaning that I have 30.89 for the water blocks and fittings.

This is where my problem lies.

The Swiftech Apogee-1U and Apogee-LP blocks would be perfect (30.5 and 31.2mm respectively), but price is a very big factor here, so I am looking for alternatives.

As an example, the Supreme HF has a height of 20.8mm. This would leave 10mm for a fitting, which isn't going to happen.

Being able to use non-rotary fittings would theoretically reduce the fitting height by 10mm (using an Enzotech technical drawing as reference (http://www.enzotechnology.com/images...cpsg141290.gif)), but as you will see in the below image, the proposed layout may mean that non-rotary fittings are unsuitable.

(note: Water blocks are just being used to visualise hose layout. The chipset obviously isn't going to be cooled by a mini Heatkiller.)

So to summarise (for people that cba with reading the whole thread):

Does anybody know of a CPU block + fitting combination that would be less than 31mm in height?

Would it be practical to use non-rotary 90 degree fittings to save space?

Thank you for your time.

Xtreme Guru
    Old skool d-tek fuzion v2 would do the trick!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member

Not sure I'd find a 5mm rotary 90 degree fitting.

Xtreme Guru
    why not use some extensions to get the right height your after?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Sorry?

Xtreme Guru
    sorry that didnt make sense, Do they have to be compressions ? im sure if you looked at alot of fittings you could come up with a solution rather easy..

Xtreme Member
    I prefer barbed fittings to compression fittings. The main problem is coming from the increased fitting height due to the rotary nature of the fittings.

Take a look at Xbox water cooling mods. Those guys have similar height constraints as 1U systems have. Koolance GPU-180s seem to be the preferred block for them. Performance won't be as good as a proper CPU block, but as long as you can get it to fit, it should work.

Xtreme Guru
    Then why not something like GPU-210 with inlets horizontally on side of block aswell, not just on top? Other gpu universal waterblocks should have similar side inlets, eg. swiftech's MCW60/MCW80.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Then why not something like GPU-210 with inlets horizontally on side of block aswell, not just on top? Other gpu universal waterblocks should have similar side inlets, eg. swiftech's MCW60/MCW80.
    Those would probably work, but he mentioned cost being an issue and those are about twice the price.

I am Xtreme
    Have you tried Banjo style swivel fittings?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    WL: add 8 of such *9.99 for those quad blocks .. and then maybe those more expensive waterblocks suddenly are not that much more expensive any more

I am Xtreme
    +1 for using a gpu block
    however i dont know of many that you can easily make a plate to convert it for a cpu mount, but im sure theres a few used blocks running around on ebay for great prices.

good luck though, you might have to raise your cost a little to go with something that will fit (koolance use to have low profile blocks back in the day)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    WL: add 8 of such *9.99 for those quad blocks .. and then maybe those more expensive waterblocks suddenly are not that much more expensive any more
    Didn't say it was anything more than an option. Besides, there are other 1/4"BSPP Banjo fittings out there, I just picked those because I didn't have to do a whole lot of searching to find them. Pair them with OCZ Hydroflow and they kind of balance out with the more expensive, proper blocks.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Guru
    BTW, am i wrong in guessing that if that is server quad cpu socket board, then overclocking options probably will be VERY limited? Then why liquid cooling is needed there at all?

I am Xtreme
    BTW, am i wrong in guessing that if that is server quad cpu socket board, then overclocking options probably will be VERY limited? Then why liquid cooling is needed there at all?
    Silence?, It's my main goal for LCing.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, silence .. yes, stock air cooling of 1U servers might be rather loud. But if low o/c or even stock frequencies, = reasonably low total heat dissipation, then i wonder that maybe it's worth to try to play with some well thought out airflow directing shrouds / replacing fans to more silent and things like that to improve air cooling?
    EDIT
    But even simplier would be to go normal server placing route - to put it somewhere where noise doesn't matter at all, eg. basement and such.
    Last edited by Church; 11-24-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Found a couple of blocks from Zern that are possibilities.

First up is a GPU block

Second is a very slim looking CPU block

Not sure from the image whether the depth is 15.5 or 13.5mm?

It looks like 10.5mm to me, which is about what it would have to be come in at ~30mm with fittings. Nice find.

Xtreme Member
    Does look like 10.5 now you mention it.

Looks like the price of the GPU block would be around half of the CPU, and test results seem to show that the CPU block is quite restrictive.

I'll send some emails and see what happens.

EDIT: I think I'll rule out the Zern CPU block.

Last edited by Jacka; 11-25-2010 at 06:26 AM.