Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD 9 Series Chipset Roadmap: 880G "Reloaded"

Xtreme Mentor
    Mats the bum looked better than a Sun and a building
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Hehe, all avatar comments shows that there isn't much left to say about the topic.

AM3+ is more of a socket upgrade than a chipset upgrade.

It can't get more boring, or frustrating for AM3 owners, than that.

Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Same old Fud,stealing info from others and not crediting them(dresdenboy's blog) and providing it like he found it himself.Then mix in some wild speculation(about turbo clocks and transistor count for 8 core BD) and you get a genuine fud piece of "news".
    I don't know if its fud or not but check page 19:

http://isscc.org/doc/2011/isscc2011...._abstracts.pdf

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcmtl View Post
    I don't know if its fud or not but check page 19:
    We've seen that already, it says nothing about transistor count for a complete CPU, or turbo clocks, like informal said.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
    980G == 880G = 785G? The specs are the same
    Yet another rename.

From the link.

Is there still hope for 880G owners like me?
    Come on, just make them pin compatible. I'll add the agesa and cpucodes myself

why would AMD need another chipset? if LLano and Zacate APUs are taking the low end and mainstream, you have a better GPU in the APus that on the chipset itself...if AMD created a new chipset it would need validation from its partners...is just better to get validation from partners for the APUs, then waste time with the chipset...

Nobody is going to buy a zambezi cpu to just leave it with a integrated chipset...most users who buy enthusiast cpu, buy a GPU...

Llano is rumored to have 400SP vs the 40sp the chipset has...why would you look at a chipset when you are going to have a better gpu in the APU with the same or better capabilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoc View Post
    why would AMD need another chipset? if LLano and Zacate APUs are taking the low end and mainstream, you have a better GPU in the APus that on the chipset itself...if AMD created a new chipset it would need validation from its partners...is just better to get validation from partners for the APUs, then waste time with the chipset...

Llano is rumored to have 400SP vs the 40sp the chipset has...why would you look at a chipset when you are going to have a better gpu in the APU with the same or better capabilities...
    Agreed. Llano is of no interest to me though I am looking forward to Zacate based tablets.
    No one is going to buy a desktop processor just cause of the apu especially if you already have a discrete gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoc View Post
    Nobody is going to buy a zambezi cpu to just leave it with a integrated chipset...most users who buy enthusiast cpu, buy a GPU...
    You forget us 8 series owners who'd love to taste that 32nm Zambezi wafer.
    Last edited by FreeRadical; 11-24-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Hehe, all avatar comments shows that there isn't much left to say about the topic.

AM3+ is more of a socket upgrade than a chipset upgrade.

It can't get more boring, or frustrating for AM3 owners, than that.
    Feels like 939 again... I feel sorry for you guys. I loved my 939 rig last AMD system I was on but it's made me really leary about going back. 939 and AM3 both too short lived. I will say AM2+ Did have a good run but I kinda doubt AM3+ will
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Feels like 939 again... I feel sorry for you guys. I loved my 939 rig last AMD system I was on but it's made me really leary about going back. 939 and AM3 both too short lived. I will say AM2+ Did have a good run but I kinda doubt AM3+ will
    939 lived almos 2 years and AM3 is almost 2 years old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What? I still use a 939 for online gaming.
    Modern stuff has more power than anyone not in video production needs.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
    Agreed. Llano is of no interest to me though I am looking forward to Zacate based tablets.
    No one is going to buy a desktop processor just cause of the apu especially if you already have a discrete gpu.
    Your obviously not looking forward to building a small, quiet, low powered HTPC rig like me.....
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

@Dave

That's my Athlon II X3 440 @ X4, undervolted to 0.720V. Does stock clocks @ 1.15V. Quiet enough for an HTPC rig
    PhenomMsrTweaker pwns Turbo mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    939 lived almos 2 years and AM3 is almost 2 years old now.
    that pic does put things into perspective
    A less known fact is that all AM2+ (AM3 compatible) processors (including the Thubans) can work on the AM2 socket with a bios mod (albeit @ HT1000). I did that myself to my AM2 Asus M2NPV-VM.

So a chip set made in Q2 2006 can still take processors till Q2 2011!
    That made AMD awesome for me! That's 5 years guys. Take that Intel :P

But that pic does confirm
    939 = AM3 (=< 2years)
    Too bad it can't be helped but AMD cud have continued being awesome instead of repeating 939
    Last edited by FreeRadical; 11-24-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12