Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hauser: ARM will 'obliterate' Intel

Xtreme Addict

Hauser: ARM will 'obliterate' Intel

ARM has declared its intentions to dominate the future of computing, declaring industry giant Intel a dead duck due to a misunderstanding of what customers want.

The comments came from ARM co-founder Hermann Hauser during an interview with The Wall Street Journal, in which he declares that 'ARM is going to kill the microprocessor.'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...terate-intel/1

....pfft what ever, i may not be a fan of intel; but ARM is off its rocker.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    I think all the buzz about "business model" is just an utter BS. Phone manufacturers want to buy processors, not a "paper design". They don't care if it was developed and manufactured by the same firm, or developed by one firm and manufactured by another. Price is what really matters. Curently Intel & AMD has nothing to counter ARM in phone mobile space. But it can change in near future. But lets see how long will take to ARM to match core-i7 performance.
    Last edited by kl0012; 11-23-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Reading the title I thought they have a tactical nuke in the basement or something.

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ARM is bigger than Intel, and Intel stepped into ARM's market. Like I said before, both Intel and AMD should be careful. ARM is probably the only company that is capable of taking them both on.

You're talking about a company that has billions and is almost entirely R&D, this isn't VIA and they won't bankrupt themselves. If they decide they want to beat the i7 they'll only do it if they make a market to sell it to. And so far they are making a decent inroads into creating that market.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just laughed.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

YouTube Addict
    ARM Holdings:

Revenue £305.0 million (2009)
    Operating income £45.6 million (2009)
    Net income £40.4 million (2009)
    Total equity US$850 million (2010)
    Employees 1,700 (2010)

Intel:

Revenue US$ 35.127 billion (2009)
    Operating income US$ 5.711 billion (2009)
    Net income US$ 4.369 billion (2009)
    Total assets US$ 53.095 billion (2009)
    Total equity US$ 41.704 billion (2009)
    Employees 83,500 (2008)

Intel could buy ARM for only a fraction of its profit generated last year.

Think of it this way.

AMD is about 10 times larger and Intel surely keeps AMD on its toes.

AMD:

Revenue US$5.4 billion (FY 2009)
    Operating income US$664 million (FY 2009)
    Net income US$293 million (FY 2009)
    Total assets US$9.08 billion (FY 2009)
    Total equity US$648 million (FY 2009)
    Employees 10,400 – Jan 2010
    Last edited by nn_step; 11-23-2010 at 01:54 AM.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    im reminded of total annihilation for some reason
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    ARM is bigger than Intel, and Intel stepped into ARM's market. Like I said before, both Intel and AMD should be careful. ARM is probably the only company that is capable of taking them both on.

You're talking about a company that has billions and is almost entirely R&D, this isn't VIA and they won't bankrupt themselves. If they decide they want to beat the i7 they'll only do it if they make a market to sell it to. And so far they are making a decent inroads into creating that market.

Are you talking about the same ARM everyone else is?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ARM taking on Intel surely made my day :p
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Member
    There is a new market opportunity where arm has the advantage. Pcs became household goods they lost their magic, people buy them every 10 year. 10+ years ago you had to buy a new pc for every windows to run it properly, but since vista took microsoft an eternity to make, the people won't go back route anymore, if it's broken unusable they get a new one like other electronic items but that's about it. How often do you upgrade the oven ?

But the phones, ohh the smarphones, that's where the money is, need a new one every year, or at least every 2 years if you are a loser. What would happen if people couldn't check facebook or twitter, watch youtube from anywhere ?
    Intel, AMD and NV is well aware of that market and working on entering it and the race just barely started, arm's head start is hardly a guarantee for winning especially against these players. I expect them to turn phones into netbooks, and then pcs in mere years and in that field these companies have more experience.

Xtreme Member

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    ARM Holdings:

Employees 1,700 (2010)

Intel:

Employees 83,500 (2008)

Think of it this way.

AMD:

nice
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ARM Holdings:

Employees 1,700 (2010)
    Damn I really should have looked that up before making that post, I didn't realise how far off I was about their equity/income, sorry about that guys. However I still think they are the only threat on the horizon, they are definitely changing their processors to a more desktop stance.

They've taken the only option available, they've broadened their scope, because waiting for Intel to sell 22nm Atoms won't be good for them.

Xtreme Addict
    Please ARM, hit, hit, PASS!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    ARM Holdings:

Employees 1,700 (2010)

Intel:

Employees 83,500 (2008)

Think of it this way.

AMD:

Arm isn't big itself but a lot of of their partners,licencee's are. Texas instruments and Qualcomm are just two of ARM's many partners and use their chips exclusively and their combined value is about the same as Intel's. Considering samsung designs(not simply buys) ARM chips, Apple too. The amount of research arms partners do is likely pretty staggering.

In 2007, 3 billion processors ARM based processors were used, a number that is likely even bigger today.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Arm isn't big itself but a lot of of their partners,licencee's are. Texas instruments and Qualcomm are just two of ARM's many partners and use their chips exclusively and their combined value is about the same as Intel's. Considering samsung designs(not simply buys) ARM chips, Apple too. The amount of research arms partners do is likely pretty staggering.

In 2007, 3 billion processors ARM based processors were used, a number that is likely even bigger today.
    so what you're saying is; ARM + its mates will take on intel?

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Addict
    They do have a point.

No one needs everything a PC can do everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Well if it comes to that, Samsung and Intel are on pretty good terms aren't they?

Intel also have Micron on-side

so...thats 3 of the Global top 10....

Is a monumental ****ing war in anyones interest? From my little understanding, for ARM to enter the conventional desktop space, they need an x86 license... they don't have that, do they? Will they get it? To take on the desktop marketshare with non-x86 they'll need their own OS that'll take on Windows and... good luck with that! There WON'T be a split of X86 and non x86... product support would be seven levels of Hell wrapped up in a room 101 bun

If i'm miles off here... shoot me down
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    I just laughed.
    Reminds me of Apple for some reason.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Please don't post any "so called news" like this anymore...

nVidia CEO says ATi sux

AMD CEO says nVidia sux

A CEO or other representative of some company, bashing another company - that's not news... just a political strategy appreciated by haters.

- Threads related to politics or religion in any way will be removed
    PS.Despite the pic in my signature, I don't hate Intel - my current system and my laptop is using an intel CPU and this was one the reasons behind my purchase... I don't like their lies and shameful marketing strategies that's true - but also a different story, not hate or anti-intel related.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Bigger in what?
    Intel profits could buy 3 or more ARM's together,they may be big in mobile market but Intel is atleast a few times bigger then ARM
    So you're saying that all of ARM partners will get together just to takedown Intel?
    Apple also uses Intel,so they won't go after them.
    At the present moment and with good management for the future Intel will simply be too big to be overrun
    Last edited by DMH; 11-23-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

I am Xtreme
    considering things are always evolving i think ARM has a chance to make a difference.
    back just a decade ago a desktop couldnt keep up with the OS and the MHZ race was on its way. but now that we have more core scaling rather than speed scaling the ability for a smaller weaker chip to do nearly the same thing is possible. the fact netbooks and tablets are the new thing instead of desktops, just imagine 4-5 years from now when things are on 22nm, a 10W chip will be the same as todays 40W chips.

you build a laptop thats not x86, but has USB ports and a clean simple to use OS, then make it cost 200$ cheaper than the competition, but does everything just as well, and we have ourselves a nice little war going.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Guru
    I'd wanna see ARM CEO declare that face to face to Intel's CEO.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Bigger in what?
    Intel profits could buy 3 or more ARM's together,they may be big in mobile market but Intel is atleast a few times bigger then ARM
    So you're saying that all of ARM partners will get together just to takedown Intel?
    At the present moment and with good management for the future Intel will simply be too big to be overrun
    'Bigger' was based on the amount of chips produced each year, Intel is expanding it's market but ARM chips are everywhere. ARM powers that iPhone you're so misguidedly proud of.

Xtreme Addict
    The frightening and saddening thing about this is that it's not as 'off base' as it sounds.

Systems integration IS the next big thing, and the iPhone and iPad are the first 'real' signs of that, with more to come. As the world becomes smaller and the toys follow suit, the PC towers may see their day come and go. That means Intel, AMD and any other chip maker unable to get into that market will be left by the wayside.

I'm guilty of it myself, having switched to a laptop years ago. If something like an iPad could do what I wanted, I'd use that and my Laptop would collect dust.

One day, a fully integrated PC WILL be able to do that, without discrete processors. If there were an iPad available that would play Crysis (etc.) there would be no need for a tower, meaning no need for buying GPUs, CPUs, etc.

How far are we from that day? It's undeniable that eventually systems integration will obliterate everything else. Whether that means ARM will kill Intel or any other manufacturer, well I doubt that. The guys running both AMD and Intel see it coming too, and are likely working R&D in that direction.

For me, though, the part that I'll miss is the 'Xtreme' part of it. I find it hard to imagine an LN2 stack or a Cascade cooler strapped to an iPad. I think I'd miss that more than anything else.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Bigger in what?
    first of all as of now intel has no interest in ARM. they have x86 which locks in hardware and software designers. it works well for them.

ARM holdings is just a company, but what sets them apart from intel is their IP. even if intel buys ARM, they cant have a lockdown on who uses the instruction set like they do with x86. as a matter of fact they would have to buy a license to design an ARM processor.

fwiw ARM dominates the embedded market as much as x86 dominates the desktop. it will be extremely difficult to overthrow them, even for intel. sure $35B of revenue is a lot but do we have any idea of the cost that switching/porting current software to x86 would have? would a company like apple be willing to sabotage their own investments in ARM to go back to x86? you know they could buy ARM too. they have a market cap of 200 something billion dollars. they have a strong product line in the mobile computing market with their istuff and ARM allows them to do more in house. as much as i dont like apple, these are facts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast