Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Says AMD Reduced Image Quality Settings HD 6800 Series For Better Performance

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    There's certainly a huge difference in numbers for one, but it is the amount of bias they're capable of, that really sets them apart. Case in point, the AF issue.
    Funny cause I have been around long enough to tell you nvidia fanboys defended their fxs and drivers to the teeth even at the pinnacle of nvidias cheating ways claiming just as today that it was ok for nvidia to cheat or perform worse cause their drivers were just so godly and that much better.

Anyway I think I will go for Nvidia on my next system since I dispise iq shortcuts on high end cards. Cayman should put an end to this bull or Im done buying red just as I was done buying green 4 years ago.

ps: in general nvidia fanboys are far more arrogant and insisting upon themselves. If amd fanboys behaved exactly the same there would be a new thread on the news forum everyday about how the gtx 580 still gets its ass handed by a 1 year old 5970 and is a power hog. But you dont see that, what you see are legions of nvidiots creating huge drama over small deals in order to excuse themsleves for not being the top dog around. Threads about driver, iq, af, and as many milimetrical advantages they can have become top news over here.
    Its friggin tiresome as thats what it is.

amd= performance at any cost even if iq at stake
    nvidia= eterneal looping excuses for not being the fastest.

both ty ways to go about.
    Last edited by Dimitriman; 11-20-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Member
    +1 I will be going for a GTX 470 next upgrade, or possibly a GTX 560 (can imagine 570 being a bit out of my price range). 6870 was appealing until now, and anyway, they overclock like when considering overclock %. A 6850 overclocks nicely but it really isn't worth the upgrade over my 4890.
    Last edited by Oztopher; 11-20-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    -
    Core i7 860 @ 3.80GHz, 1.28v | GA-P55A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB DDR3 @ 1900MHz 7-9-8-24 1N, 1.57v | HIS HD 6950 2GB, 1536sp @ 900/1400, 1.10v | Samsung F3 500GB | Thermaltake 750W | Windows 7 64bit | Air

Crunching away...

Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Thats a simple fact , noone is arguing that you can set to high quality or what nvidia or ati did in the past , its about now and misleading benchmarks, info people get when deciding what to buy.
    This.
    NVIDIA Forums Administrator

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    Thats a simple fact , noone is arguing that you can set to high quality or what nvidia or ati did in the past , its about now and misleading benchmarks, info people get when deciding what to buy.
    That's partially the fault of most reviews for not analyzing IQ and partially AMD's fault for taking advantage of it. If more reviews actually bothered to bump IQ to its highest on both cards for some/all tests and provided IQ comparisons then this wouldn't be an issue.

Not that I'm happy with AMD for fiddling with the defaults. But I haven't used default settings on either brand since...ever.

I am Xtreme
    did anyone do a perf comparison with the settings yet?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphous View Post
    This.
    Where were you when nvidia was doing similar stuff?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    ps: in general nvidia fanboys are far more arrogant and insisting upon themselves. If amd fanboys behaved exactly the same there would be a new thread on the news forum everyday about how the gtx 580 still gets its ass handed by a 1 year old 5970 and is a power hog. But you dont see that, what you see are legions of nvidiots creating huge drama over small deals in order to excuse themsleves for not being the top dog around. Threads about driver, iq, af, and as many milimetrical advantages they can have become top news over here.
    Its friggin tiresome as thats what it is.
    They are very much like cults. It seems like fanboys take on the personalities of their favorite companies, especially the CEO. Nv fanboys are kinda like Jen-Hsun, boisterous, boastful, generally aggressive. Whereas Amd fanboys are more quiet and reserved. Kinda like how we don't hear much from Amd's CEO. I don't even know who the current one is.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    As was said: NVIDIA learned their lesson. Now it's AMD's turn.

Personally, I don't think this was necessarily intentional on AMD's part since at its core, angle dependent AF is a great idea. It has just been poorly implemented and the result is higher performance at lower image quality.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
    Nv fanboys are kinda like Jen-Hsun, boisterous, boastful, generally aggressive. Whereas Amd fanboys are more quiet and reserved.
    Quiet and reserved? Lol. People discussing which fanboys are worse have got to be the best offtopic tangent ever, especially when the fanboy discussion reeks of ummm fanboyism

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude90210 View Post
    They are very much like cults. It seems like fanboys take on the personalities of their favorite companies, especially the CEO. Nv fanboys are kinda like Jen-Hsun, boisterous, boastful, generally aggressive. Whereas Amd fanboys are more quiet and reserved. Kinda like how we don't hear much from Amd's CEO. I don't even know who the current one is.
    the issue with nvidia fanboys is that they are blinded by arrogance while ati fanboys are blinded by the need to defend the company they still perceive to be the bullied underdog at any cost.

with the three week delay of cayman and the early launch of gtx580 the nvidia fanboys got a massive boost to their egos and the stench of their trolling lately has been unbareable. Just do a quick search on how many ati hate threads are still live in this forum and youll see.

when your preferred firm does something unlawful or unethical the best thing you can do as a fan is cryticize it and demand their correction. putting them under your wing for anything they do is not only bad for them but is especially bad for yourself.
    Last edited by Dimitriman; 11-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Member
    fanboys aside, facts are on nvidia's side on this one.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    As was said: NVIDIA learned their lesson. Now it's AMD's turn.

Personally, I don't think this was necessarily intentional on AMD's part since at its core, angle dependent AF is a great idea. It has just been poorly implemented and the result is higher performance at lower image quality.
    Right. But the point is, he's also a hypocrite and if he didn't speak up then he has *no* right to speak up now. Unless he's a hypocrite.

Xtreme Addict
    That is pretty stupid. You can't complain that someone did something unless you've complained about everyone in the past who also did it? Where do you guys come up with this crap? Besides he's not even complaining so don't know what you're defending.

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    That is pretty stupid. You can't complain that someone did something unless you've complained about everyone in the past who also did it? Where do you guys come up with this crap? Besides he's not even complaining so don't know what you're defending.
    I have to agree there.

It only when some defended the actions before & now is saying the opposite that its hypocritical but specifics have to be taken into account & not just the generalised definition of cheating.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 11-20-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Can anyone post up links to videos or screenshots displaying this lowering of IQ in games? I can't for the life of me see anything that looks particularly bad while playing Dirt 2 and BFBC2.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Another nice soap opera, me like it. Pass me a bag of popcorn, will you !

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Sure, you can complain all you want.

An nvidia focus group member doing it is quite ironic and hypocritical (as he's glossing over his sponsor's farts).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontl1ne View Post
    Can anyone post up links to videos or screenshots displaying this lowering of IQ in games? I can't for the life of me see anything that looks particularly bad while playing Dirt 2 and BFBC2.
    i also fail to see a difference in newer games, but some older games show a noticeable difference between HQ and normal Q
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The more Nvidia complains, the more free advertising for AMD. Like in Hollywood "I don't care what you say, just spell my name right!" And the people that listen to the ones that scream the loudest are the ones that lose. Nvidia just sounds like a sore loser no matter what the facts are. Their whole beef depends on the definition of default driver and the manner of testing. Without that they have no argument.

Xtreme Addict
    you know what is funny, even with the high quality the ati 68xx series are still the best card to get price/power/performance.... against the 460-470, there benchmarks showed that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    did anyone do a perf comparison with the settings yet?
    Xbitlabs test with High settings:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid..._12.html#sect1

ATI Catalyst:
    Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings/Standard Filter
    Morphological filtering: Off
    Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality
    Surface Format Optimization: Off
    Wait for vertical refresh: Always Off
    Anti-Aliasing Mode: Quality
    Other settings: default

Nvidia GeForce:
    Texture filtering – Quality: High quality
    Vertical sync: Force off
    Antialiasing - Transparency: Multisampling
    CUDA – GPUs: All
    Set PhysX configuration: Auto-select
    Ambient Occlusion: Off

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    Psst...look at his join date and wipe the egg off your face afterwards.

Devil kept pokin'
    Ive got your IQ control right here.....

Haven't seen a jaggy line yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Xbitlabs test with High settings:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid..._12.html#sect1

ATI Catalyst:
    Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings/Standard Filter
    Morphological filtering: Off
    Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality
    Surface Format Optimization: Off
    Wait for vertical refresh: Always Off
    Anti-Aliasing Mode: Quality

Nvidia GeForce:
    Texture filtering – Quality: High quality
    Vertical sync: Force off
    Antialiasing - Transparency: Multisampling
    CUDA – GPUs: All
    Set PhysX configuration: Auto-select
    Ambient Occlusion: Off
    im sorry if im missing something but were are the SS that shows the default and "fixed" settings in action.

since i have not heard of any1 complaining about quality and amd said said that they added a higher quality setting and made the last one equal to the old high quality makes this seam like a bunch of squabbling over semantics. the only time that i ever remember complaints on images it was for NV cheating in 3d mark, NV lowering IQ when the 4890 came out to boost scores and ati not having alpha textures working properly specifically in the farcry2 and each time that happened there was benching and SS of the problems and comparing card to card and driver to driver, but with this no1 is posting SS and the attack is coming from NV so it seams orchestrated as there would have been angry people before NV said something but all that cam out was benching sites that favored NV re-benching with high quality instead of quality and most of the reputable benching of defaults, and while some sites post SS of the bench that did not lead to anything. I love IQ and i had never seen anything even when the AF testing was going on this did not come out so i dont see this as anything correct.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    The problem is review sites. If they don't do a like for like review based on Image quality, then we're always stuck in this situation.

I think [H]ardOCP comes closest with reviews that take into consideration settings, but a review site that lowers/raises settings to give equal amounts of image quality is needed (are there any?).

As for the AMD and Nvidia fanbois in this thread. it's starting to get annoying, as none of you are giving any evidence to back up your arguments. AMD are under no obligation to set "Ultra High IQ" as default, and NVidia isn't either.
    Agree. It is the reviewers doing the misleading. Like back when Intel Quad first came out and you get the reviews that show how powerful the quad is... ya, @ 640 x 480 ha ha ha. They don't show that a dual core beats it when you raise the resolution.
    Nobody... uses default settings. When you start a game you see what you get at MAX settings and then tone it down if you need higher framerate.
    So the whole argument is a fabrication.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast