Thread: Best low light lens for Canon T2i?

Question Best low light lens for Canon T2i?

Hey guys, I just got a Canon Rebel T2i, and the kit lens it came with is great for 90% of my photography as I learn how to use it, but I do eventually want to get a good low light lens with very little zoom if possible, I like doing natural light indoor and outdoor photography, including overcast days, i was looking at a 50mm 1.4 lens from Canon, but I think thats a bit too much zoom for my needs, I was thinking more along the lines of a 18-35mm lens, it doesn't have to be a zoom lens, it can be a single size, I know some of them don't have IS on them, but if I remember correctly, when you increase the aperture size, you can use a faster shutter speed, anyway, tell me your thoughts..

Xtreme Addict
    50mm on a crop tends to me a bit too much for me indoors.
    IS on a wide angle lenses is not needed, so don't worry about it.
    look into something around 30mm, like the canon 24mm or 28mm, sigma 24mm or 30mm
    if you plan to do landscape photography then get an ultrawide angle lens, starting down around 12mm
    the ones i listed can open up pretty wide, depending on what subjects you are shooting you may not need a fast lens, just use a tripod.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I am Xtreme
    28mm is too wide indoors as is the 30mm, unless you are in big rooms, or buildings etc and dont care about getting alot of the room int he picture along with your subjects.
    but if you want to be up close to them, or need to be because you are in a smaller room, then its a great range to have.

look at the 50 1.4, its only a problem in small rooms where you might not be able to be very far away, then the 24-30mm is great.
    the 28mm 1.8 usm is a great lens too. i wish i had gotten it instead of the Sigma "we dont care about calibrating our lenses in the factory, just RMA it 10 times, we will get it right sooner or later" 30mm f/1.4

honestly bro if you can afford 450 bucks, go get the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 wow what a nice sharp lens.
    if you want image stabilization they have a VC (vibration control) version but its like 200 bucks more. and unless you are in really low light without a tripod and flash, then you dont need it.

i would start with the tamron
    never buy any lens online unless you can check out a copy of a lens locally, and if you cant come here and ask people what they think and for image samples.
    you cna also go to photogrphy-on-the.net forums and check out their EF and EF-S lens section and look at the top for the image sample gallery and browse thru the hundreds of lenses people post samples of.

but you have one more you are forgetting about, the Nifty Fifty... the Canon 50mm f/1.8
    its the best $100 bucks you can ever spend on a canon lens. just a super great little lens.

i would buy that before anything else since you are still learning.
    that lens will show you just ho wmuch a piece of sh|t that kit lens is,, because it is exactly that.. complete garbage and canon should be ashamed of themselves for STILL including such a garbage lens with such expensive cameras.
    maybe one day they will actually include a lens that has real vibration control and decent optics.
    Last edited by Lestat; 11-18-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I was looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8, especially for the price, the only thing I was worrying about was for doing Landscapes that it might have a bit too much zoom, I do alot of forest photography and up in the mountains as well.

Xtreme Addict
    why dont u just get the 50mm 1.8, its so cheap (under $100 used) and its a pretty decent lens, especially for the price.
    personally for me, indoors in a normal house its too much.
    indoors at some type of event it is good.

if you want landscape go ultrawide, there are plenty of options, doesnt have to be fast, use a tripod.
    perhaps get a nifty fifty now and save up a little bit for an ultrawide angle? unless you plan on hiking the mountains in the winter.
    and sell the kit lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtremeish
    For indoors I use my 24mm Sigma, which I think works just fine. Might have to step closer sometimes, but that is way more doable than stepping back in those scenarios. 50mm is not a bad choice, but you wont be able to use for anything else than portraits in those situations.

And if you buy a cheap low light lens make sure its not a bad copy. Especially when buying Sigma.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14