Thread: using as5 with tec's Would regular silicon gunk be better for cold side

Xtreme Enthusiast

using as5 with tec's Would regular silicon gunk be better for cold side

Thinking about running an experiment this weekend however at the current moment all I got is as5 question is when using tec's to cool water and the cool cpu's would it be better to use silicon gunk or as5 on the cold side of things and well when I got money to spend what stuff is the best for tec assisted cooling?
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

Xtreme Member
    AS5 is ok for the hot side but it requires 200 hours to cure properly. It is a definite no no for the cold side it just doesn't like cold for lack of a better explanation. You can use Artic Ceramique or even MX-2 which is what I use and haven't found any problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    I remember asking that same question a long time ago and I was told that as5 is bad for ceramic tec's because it can leach into the ceramic (this was from Uncle Jimbo). I went on ahead and used it anyway since it was all I had on hand and it definitely stained my tec's. As for performance, I think it was okay since I was still getting nice temps overall. Hope this helps!
    Primary Rig: DFI Lan Party LT x48 (@453 FSB) // e8600 @ 4.3 Ghz (1.3V) // PNY XLR8 DDR2 @ 1088 MHz (2.0V) // X-Fire Sapphire 1Gb 4870 // WD Raptor 160 GB (XP) // Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (Win7) // Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Edition // Thermaltake ToughPower 700W // LG 23" @ 1920x1080