Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 May go Fully Virtualized!!!!!!!!

I am Xtreme

Windows 8 May go Fully Virtualized!!!!!!!!

I like the sound of this version of windows! I like the use of VT.
    Hopefully they make windows 8 more modular.

http://www.dailytech.com/Slides+Reve...ticle20181.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DT
    User would have unique desktop accessible from any machine; company would sell "Desktop as a Service"

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's comment that Windows 8 was his company's most risky endeavor sparked much curiosity. Little is currently known about the upcoming operating system. So why is Windows 8 such a high risk proposition for Microsoft?

The answer to that may have come in a newly surfaced slide deck from the Microsoft architectural summit held in London in early April 2010. In the deck Microsoft describes how Windows 8 (referred in the deck as "Windows NEXT") will be the company's first OS to throw the user deep into the world of virtualization.

With a traditional OS, maintenance burden is on the user or their hired help. The company writes in the presentation, "[Customers today] see application compatibility issues, they see DLL hell, they see an inability to manage efficiently, they see high costs associated with maintenance and upgrades, they see a relatively short lifespan…..This cannot continue. Customers are increasingly refusing to let this continue."

Microsoft's answer is to deploy "native VHD" (virtual hard disk) capabilities with Windows 8 and change its sales model from OS as a service to "desktop as a service" (DaaS). The slides indicate that under Windows 8, user apps and data will be "treated as cached entities and synchronized with an appstore and 'user state store'".

The approach has definite advantages. Microsoft could remotely fight malware and fix compatibility issues as they occurred, rather than trying to update OS installations after trouble occurs. And if a user lost their laptop, they wouldn't lose access to their installed programs and data.

The company writes, "[T]he desktop should not be associated with the device. [T]he desktop can be thought of as a portal which surfaces the users apps, data, user state and authorization and access."

The new virtualization technology is founded on Microsoft's existing virtualization portfolio -- Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI); application virtualization (App-V, MED-V, Remote Apps, Terminal Server); OS virtualization (Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, VDI); data virtualization (folder redirection and synch); hardware virtualization (Hyper-V); and various System Center management offerings.

This would be a huge change for Microsoft, and it would put the company's direction in line with Google's plans for its upcoming netbook/tablet Chrome operating system. But its also a huge risk as virtualization is something utterly unfamiliar to most customers.

As many are speculating, Microsoft may partially back off fully virtualizing all its commercial Windows 8 offerings. With a launch in "2012+" scheduled, beta builds are widely expected to come in 2011. These builds should reveal whether the ambitious DaaS redesign persisted. And if Microsoft indeed goes ahead with this concept, the reaction it gets from the beta may play a role in just how deep Microsoft jumps into the virtualization waters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_8_Mock.png 
Views:	2346 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	109576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop-as-a-service-in-win-next.png 
Views:	2353 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	109577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what-is-a-virtual-desktop.png 
Views:	2353 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	109578  
    Last edited by safan80; 11-17-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Title

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    ugh, wtf?
    so is our data not being stored on the computer?
    who the hell cares about laptop users who are stupid enough to lose their laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think there might be som security issues with that approach.

But another question, will this mean that hardware such as graphics cards can be run in virtual desktops natively?

Xtreme Member
    A big issue for me as i read this is what about small application producers. If there not big companies, microsoft could stop them from developing all together. Just be one big monopoly.

Think of it like TV was before the internet. very narrow and you was controlled as to what info you would get, and how it was spun to the public. Internet brought along other means of communication, which is good.

Unless you have the option to go OS on hardware or virtual, i can't help but see this as a good move for large companies, good move for your average joe, and a terrible move for us that want full control over what we can do.

Paul
    Intel Q6600 (0738) @ 3.6Ghz (1.45v)
    Abit IX38 Motherboard
    4GB Memory (2x Team Elite / 2x OCZ Plat)
    2 x HD 4850 512MB Crossfire
    2 x 200GB Maxtor 10 Drives (RAID 0)
    LG IDE DVD-RW Lightscribe drive
    2 x LG SATA DVD-RW drives
    Custom waterloop - low end
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Soundcard
    Logitech Z-2300 Speakers
    Silverstone TJ09 Silver + Window Case
    Jeantech 700W Storm PSU
    Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit Retail

they are going to fail HARD if they think the whole world have acces to internet..

and pay monthly to USE A FREAKING OPERATING SYSTEM !???!?!? WTH ?!?!?

this MIGHT work for some specific case.. but you cant expect to be a standar for everyone everywhere... PERIOD

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    This is already being done. It's called a thin client. They make both laptops and desktops, mostly for mass deployment, that rely upon external servers for everything except the basic OS (usually Windows Embedded).

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeP View Post
    Unless you have the option to go OS on hardware or virtual, i can't help but see this as a good move for large companies, good move for your average joe, and a terrible move for us that want full control over what we can do.
    Paul
    Not to mention Big Brother telling us what we can and can't do. Think they won't? Think again. I foresee more user friendly gui's for linux.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    EVGA GTX 470
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    2X128GB Samsung 830's
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    This is already being done. It's called a thin client. They make both laptops and desktops, mostly for mass deployment, that rely upon external servers for everything except the basic OS (usually Windows Embedded).
    and if u have ever used a thin client it will make you want to cry.
    the file access speeds are stupid.
    if they dont have a version like there is now then windows is dead
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I am Xtreme
    this seems to be all about the business side of things
    with networks in small companies easily having 1gbit/s, i somehow bet its possible to boot up faster by downloading instead of using your own weak hard drive.
    at my job we have to do a backup every night, and god forbid theres a windows update. i could see my company jumping onto this since everything we work on is for the company and its own by them. the only issue i can see is when working at home (which i am doing right now). if i dont have a fast internet connection, it can suck waiting for windows to load, or larger apps.

at my school we have virtual desktops and its quite slow, but every machine had office10 the day it came out.

there are definitely pros and cons, and future network enhancements will eliminate some of those cons.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    I've used thin clients multiple times, I can't stand them. If I could, I'd set my school districts 1300 thin clients on fire then throw them one by one off a building.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    with networks in small companies easily having 1gbit/s, i somehow bet its possible to boot up faster by downloading instead of using your own weak hard drive.
    at my job we have to do a backup every night, and god forbid theres a windows update. i could see my company jumping onto this since everything we work on is for the company and its own by them. the only issue i can see is when working at home (which i am doing right now). if i dont have a fast internet connection, it can suck waiting for windows to load, or larger apps.

at my school we have virtual desktops and its quite slow, but every machine had office10 the day it came out.

there are definitely pros and cons, and future network enhancements will eliminate some of those cons.
    1GBit = ~120 MB/s...if you have only 10 machines on that same network downloading at the same time the most you are going to get from each one is 12 MB/s? My flash drives are faster than that.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 11-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Smile

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    My experiences exactly. Everything was laggy on it and it took like 5 minutes to log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I've used thin clients multiple times, I can't stand them. If I could, I'd set my school districts 1300 thin clients on fire then throw them one by one off a building.
    They're just a bad idea in general.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    I think i goin to like new windows
    I like it allready

I am Xtreme
    1GBit = ~120 MB/s...if you have only 10 machines on that same network downloading at the same time the most you are going to get from each one is 12 MB/s? My flash drives are faster than that.
    if you have a company of 10 people, your already spending half a million a year on paychecks, you can probably afford a nice switch to your network, and the only thing being slowed down is the router at each station. and the chances of 10 people booting up at the same time is very unlikely until your hitting a company size in the hundreds. however since this also being used for loading apps and whatnot, you probably want to have secured 20-50MB/s per person to ensure you dont have serious slowdowns.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    I like how the people instantly assumed that the classic OS install would be completely banished if native OS virtualization became an option. Oh internet, will your deep hyperbole wells never be empty?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakr View Post
    Not to mention Big Brother telling us what we can and can't do. Think they won't? Think again. I foresee more user friendly gui's for linux.
    This would be a case of a corporation telling us what we can and can't do. Microsoft isn't a branch of the government. Big surprise, I know.

The government is never going to tell us that we have to run windows instead of linux. But Microsoft would bar people from using linux on the same machine in a heartbeat if they could. They have already tried by fiddling with the bootloader.

Xtreme Member
    It's pretty easy to have multiple network cards teamed into one to secure >2Gbit/s. Any company willing to make the change would analyze it's bandwidth need and scale the server up accordingly. I recently built a cheap fileserver for home usage with dual lan teamed into a 2GBit connection. If I could do this, I'm pretty sure the trained server guys will.
    Main : i7 920 D0 @ 4ghz on Rampage II Gene - H2O - 6gb XMS3 1680mhz C9 - GTX 580
    Sossaman : Dual Yonah @ 2.0ghz
    Server: 1055T 6 core @ 3.6ghz - air cooled - 16gb KVR1333 - 8 x 1TB Caviar Black
    HTPC : i5 760 @ 4ghz on Maximus III Gene - H2O - 8gb KVR1333 - GTX275 - 80GB X25-M G2 + 4 x 2.5" Caviar Black 500GB @ 7200RPM

chrunching for our future

Xtreme Member
    Where do you guys read it going to be cloud based? Yeah, some thing could be cloud based, but an OS that requires internet at all times? I don't belive it. Virtualized doesn't always mean cloud.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    Where do you guys read it going to be cloud based? Yeah, some thing could be cloud based, but an OS that requires internet at all times? I don't belive it. Virtualized doesn't always mean cloud.
    This is true. Virtulization means that your os/data can be in the cloud, not that it necessarily has to be.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HAVO View Post
    they are going to fail HARD if they think the whole world have acces to internet..

and pay monthly to USE A FREAKING OPERATING SYSTEM !???!?!? WTH ?!?!?

this MIGHT work for some specific case.. but you cant expect to be a standar for everyone everywhere... PERIOD
    "Pay to use" model isn't that bad. A dollar per week? Half a dollar per week? The only thing that matters is the pricing of the model.
    Though, of course Microsoft strives for a solution where the customer would pay more for the product, and the customer base would get broader.

Cloud computing sucks!

Xtreme Addict
    Basically what they are trying to say is that they want to turn Windows 7 into a big massive Java Virtual Machine that runs on hardware directly. Not sure if this is a good idea...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Basically what they are trying to say is that they want to turn Windows 7 into a big massive Java Virtual Machine that runs on hardware directly. Not sure if this is a good idea...
    This has nothing to do with java.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh wow, I wish I had bothered to read this thread earlier, now any snide comments I could drop would be redundant. Surely some of you realise how silly you sound, right?

Xtreme Addict
    Now I understand the earlier claim that W8 was aimed for business use.

But how do you do a Daas Boot (no pun) without internet? If you must have a regular OS as a backup on your laptop then the whole idea gets pretty pointless.

Unless the backup OS is an image of the latest online OS version used.. now that sounds more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    You're right, if it wasn't for the SSD's getting cheaper every day.
    A cheap, fast <32 GB SSD for the OS, the rest on server.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    that's why i cant believe this.
    the paragraph that confuses the hell out of me is this:

The approach has definite advantages. Microsoft could remotely fight malware and fix compatibility issues as they occurred, rather than trying to update OS installations after trouble occurs. And if a user lost their laptop, they wouldn't lose access to their installed programs and data.
    how could this not be cloud based yet you can magically get your data back
    and i would assume there would be a limit of GB per account.
    unless this is going to be like a more advanced Ubuntu One where you have a set amount of online space and you can choose which files/folders to sync

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WebTV reborne.
    No thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast