Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help silencing My system

Xtreme Enthusiast

Need help silencing My system

Need suggestions and or help silencing my pumps mcp-35x 2 in series see pics below.
    There making a slight higher pitch whine harmonic which mostly goes away when I press or hold them So I believe its how i have them mounted.

Only thing I can think of is unmount them from the rads and soft mount them on some Foam. ? Anybody have any better idea's ?

Next is my Corsair AX1200 PS I have it mount on its side in the The MM case and the fans sounding dirty slight grinding/ticking motor noise anybody else have this with there AX1200 ?
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how about some rubber decoupling bolts?
    I am useing some old ones off a zalman hdd cooler to mount hdds and they also came with my AC pump to mount it.
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm odd, somehow double posted,
    here's how i have them under my hdds
    Last edited by Creekin; 11-16-2010 at 06:33 AM.
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Member
    now I know why most retailers don't have GTs in stock...

I am Xtreme
    Which holes on the housing (small ones or the ones for the top screws) are you using to mount the pumps?

What size are the holes in those brackets (also, how thick are they) and what size screws are you using?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    i would go with some neoprene foam at first.
    you might be able to find some thin foam washers at a hardware store so its really hidden. but if not you can go with a whole pad that the pump sits on.

OR
    some silicon glue, just a little around each bold and when it dries you make your own gasket/washer and should be also completely hidden.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Inch long self tapping from hardware store with hard plastic washer which holds the screw cap into place. There mounted on aluminium mountion mod 3 1/2 drive bay brackets. Brackets are mounted on rad same way.

If I unmount them completly and lay them on several layers of neoprene ( as in the packing from my corsair ax1200) Think that would work? Iffy about them overheating though.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

I am Xtreme
    the motor is only a few watts, and that heat goes into the water i though.
    if the base of the motor (where the foam is going) gets pretty warm, then it might be an issue. but i doubt it will

NooB MOD
    Sorry I can't help, but could I please buy some GTs from you?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Sorry I can't help, but could I please buy some GTs from you?
    http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentl...m-pr-4501.html

i just picked up my second. shipping isnt anywhere near great, but its low if your buying a few things, which is what i did.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lmao , the gts on the rads are only part my build has 29 of them and they should be back in stock everywhere.
    MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The problem seems to be what I have them mounted on the alu Brackets ....There amping the slight vibration they put out .

Unless somebody can Toss out a better idea , looks like i'm laying em down on Neoprene Pad. I really want a better idea so i can keep em mounted the way I have... LOL .....
    MagisD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    The problem seems to be what I have them mounted on the alu Brackets ....There amping the slight vibration they put out .

Unless somebody can Toss out a better idea , looks like i'm laying em down on Neoprene Pad. I really want a better idea so i can keep em mounted the way I have... LOL .....
    sorry, can you be more specific, is the source of the noise the pumps vibrating against what they are mounted too. or is it the plate they are mounted to vibrates on something else?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Inch long self tapping from hardware store with hard plastic washer which holds the screw cap into place. There mounted on aluminium mountion mod 3 1/2 drive bay brackets. Brackets are mounted on rad same way.
    Both whole things vibrating.
    MagisD

Xtreme Addict
    ROFLMAO!

dude, i just counted 12 fans on the first pic... you sure it's the pump you're hearing?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

I am Xtreme
    if its the frame that loose, i would mount it on something solid.

Xtreme Member
    I put small rubber bumpers I bought from McMaster on my DDCs and let them dance freely without being bolted down. With tubing connected with the pump, it can't go anywhere, so there is no reason to fasten it down hard.

Man, with that many rads and fans, your temp should be very close to ambient with a small delta t. Let's see what you have when it's ready to roll. Thanks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    ROFLMAO!

dude, i just counted 12 fans on the first pic... you sure it's the pump you're hearing?
    Only 8 are running atm and there 840 rpm. When i have all 29 Installed should muffle it.

My ps makes more nosies.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mingbogo View Post
    I put small rubber bumpers I bought from McMaster on my DDCs and let them dance freely without being bolted down. With tubing connected with the pump, it can't go anywhere, so there is no reason to fasten it down hard.

Man, with that many rads and fans, your temp should be very close to ambient with a small delta t. Let's see what you have when it's ready to roll. Thanks!
    I useally leave lose on a soft foam pad but wanted to try and mount them this time.

MagisD

I am Xtreme
    Proper isolation requires actual anti vibration grommets.

You can use HDD anti vibe grommets available at most mod shops in the quiet or silence section. Put one in each hole that your using (2 for pump and 2 for mount) and what your hearing should disappear.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Perfect WL thanks i'll order some in my next WC batch .
    MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Proper isolation requires actual anti vibration grommets.
    which they are not, there just rubber washers,
    they provide good anti-vibration, but they do not provide isolation.

the bolt still contacts the metal as it passes through the hole, it transfers all its load directly to the metal.
    you can see in the pic i posted above that i have mounted my rad this way,
    admittedly i have metal washers either side of the rubber, but i have removed the case side one and it made little difference, the rad fans still resonate the case.

have a look at this LINK for a few more examples of what I mean.
    I have found these fittings easy to find in lots of different sizes.

I have my pump mounted on 4 of them, as provided by the manufacturer. and it is silent!
    and i have re-deployed some other ones from a vertical shearing load of 4 per hdd, to a horizontal compression load of 4 per 3x hdds. and it works perfectly.

really depends if you want to reduce vibration or isolate and eliminate it entirely.

but in your case, if you can hear ANYTHING over the fans then something is very wrong!
    X2k

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    which they are not, there just rubber washers,
    they provide good anti-vibration, but they do not provide isolation.

the bolt still contacts the metal as it passes through the hole, it transfers all its load directly to the metal.
    you can see in the pic i posted above that i have mounted my rad this way,
    admittedly i have metal washers either side of the rubber, but i have removed the case side one and it made little difference, the rad fans still resonate the case.

have a look at this LINK for a few more examples of what I mean.
    I have found these fittings easy to find in lots of different sizes.

I have my pump mounted on 4 of them, as provided by the manufacturer. and it is silent!
    and i have re-deployed some other ones from a vertical shearing load of 4 per hdd, to a horizontal compression load of 4 per 3x hdds. and it works perfectly.

really depends if you want to reduce vibration or isolate and eliminate it entirely.

but in your case, if you can hear ANYTHING over the fans then something is very wrong!
    i·so·late [v. ahy-suh-leyt; n., adj. ahy-suh-lit, -leyt]

–verb (used with object)

1.to set or place apart; detach or separate so as to be alone.
    2.Medicine/Medical . to keep (an infected person) from contact with noninfected persons; quarantine.
    3.Chemistry, Bacteriology . to obtain (a substance or microorganism) in an uncombined or pure state.
    4.Electricity . to insulate.
    5.Television . to single out (a person, action, etc.) for a camera closeup.

Um, you see the groove in the grommet?. . .that is where the panel sits, and there are little nubs inside that further isolate the screw from coming close to the metal. . . so yes, they do isolate (no metal to metal contact).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...2&postcount=12

I actually get mine from Mcmaster (page 1363, style 4)
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    those washers just absorb some vibration,
    they don't physically isolate the 2 objects they join as per your definition

Um, you see the groove in the grommet?
    usually splits under vertical load, great for horizontal loading though
    X2k

Xtreme Member
    I don't think they would "split" but anti vibration grommets should be used with the proper shoulder screws to be really effective.

The diameter of the shoulder part of the screw must be about 0.1mm larger than the grommet center diameter. Without a proper shoulder screw the grommet and screw pair do not make good contact and are less effective.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find these screws for the general public. So unless you're prepared to buy several thousands of them...

Finally there are many different grommet types and they are targeted at dampening different frequencies.

Anti vibration grommets actually decouple two objects, that's the whole point. I am not sure why you would say they don't "isolate".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast