Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help silencing My system

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i used them once and they split, all 4. may be due to the shoulder issue you mentioned, or maybe they were the wrong size for the panel they were in.
    But they all split at the bottom so it appeared to be from vertical force.

i dont agree that they do decouple or isolate, they are just a dampener. and they only work on the vibration between the mating surfaces of the 2 objects.
    the metal bolt is still coupling the 2 objects, the rubber washers are good and do help, but do not decouple.

the ones i use are 2 separate metal bolts, connected only by the rubber joint. it couples them together,as a unit and DE-couples them from themselves, physically.
    exactly the same design and principle as that used in earthquake isolation for buildings.
    decouple the solid foundations from the solid building with rubber mounts.

I don't think a rubber grommet on a building pylon would have the same affect.
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok i can see both points and ways.

Creekin your missing that I'm mounting the plate to the rad your rubber nubs wouldn't work. But for mounting the pump to the plate probby be the way to go.

WL solution perfect for the rad part just finding the right peices gona be a pain lol.

Honestly there both good ideas and will work great into certain applications but both are plan B now.

I figure I better test them soft mounted loose in a neoprene pad into cutouts to hold them into place.
    Mounting the second pump will be a challenge so the outlet barb is faceing up as i need it.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah i see what you mean MD.
    In theory, if you isolate the pump at the plate, you won't need to isolate the plate at the rad. you can just ensure it is locked up tight with spring washers or nylocks perhaps.

have you considered the Shoggy Sandwich ??
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Naa the neoprene from my corsair ax1200 should do. the trick, its high quality multiple small layers glued together. Perfect for this. The black color alsop goes well :-)

If I exacto out cutouts same size and shape of items i want to "mount" out of the larger pad. I should have a stable soft mount in the large pad .

Just worried about heat dissapation which seems to be the killer if the dcc line.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you mean the packing foam the psu came in?
    X2k

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    those washers just absorb some vibration,
    they don't physically isolate the 2 objects they join as per your definition

usually splits under vertical load, great for horizontal loading though
    If you say so.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this because I've used them for a number of years now and have not had a single failure. They do tend to harden a little bit after a while (years) so they need to be checked about once a year. Maybe this is why yours split, was too old to do the job, or it could have been the wrong material or a number of other small things?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yup, the packing foam from the psu.

Although I may order the Shoggy as I need to do a Aquacomputer order for the aquaeros and accessory anyway since sidewinders is out and doesn't have them all.
    Last edited by MagisD; 11-17-2010 at 09:00 AM.
    MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Yup, the packing foam from the psu.
    Good thinking 99! I kept the foam from my HX1000 for almost a year trying to think of a use for it, finally gave up and tossed it.
    But it is very high quality for packing foam, should work well
    X2k

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So found out what my problem was one of the pumps is defective.

vibrates 4x as much and is about 3x as loud and hot (the caseings actually hot to the touch)

Waiting to hear back from swiftech about options now.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm starting to sense a pattern here.....
    X2k

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And what pattern might that be?

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just seems to be a few Swiftech related issues lately,
    I am sure it is just a side effect of their popularity and market share.
    I AM NOT BASHING Swiftech!!!
    I have never owned any Swiftech kit!

I am just commenting on how I have noticed a few unrelated issues,
    but every time, Gabe or someone offers sensible help and the problem is fixed.
    As I have found personally with AC and EK, sh*t happens, but good companies fix customers problems asap.

I repeat,
    I AM NOT BASHING Swiftech!
    X2k

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya its no big. 20-30 individual peices of swiftech gear and this is first bad one I had. But customer service is why I allways buy swiftech if it fits the need.

I messed up my Xt backplate/screws and they just sent me out new ones.

In the kit I sold a friend stuffs been going strong over 3 years now.

MagisD

Xtreme Cruncher
    @MagisD,

Glad you found the problem. This may have been what you were planning, but for the future, (like Creekin said) if you want to eliminate vibration, you need to isolate the component, i.e. no direct mechanical fastening. This is the principle behind the shoggy sandwich. I've done the same thing with 2 pieces of 1/8" acrylic and a very soft neoprene-like pad. The idea is that you want to create an additional degree of freedom such that the vibrating component can move independently of the supporting structure. Of course, in doing so, you loose your conductive path to the chassis for heat. On one mcp355, I decided to remedy this with some pieces of aluminum flashing between the pump and the isolator. I built a crappy heat sink that worked well. My pump had wings and It actually looked pretty good imo. One day I may start taking pictures. Anyway, good luck. I've been following your build log and love it. The name is suiting, definitely extreme man.

@Creekin,
    Swiftech is awesome. They're the knee in the curve for WC.
    I'd venture a guess that they're one of the largest producers of WC stuff also. As you said, if there are problems, it seems all you have to do is call or write an email - although I've never had one. (I own a ton of swiftech stuff)
    upgrading...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So my main problem is not the pump. Its the mb i have capacitor whine from up around the ram caps. Only when mb powered up and in windows.

The pump misslead me dammit. Disguised where the whinning noise was coming from.

MagisD

That sucks are you going to rma it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Probby its under warrenty, just pita taking wb off. Anybody besides me wouldn't even notice it its right on the edge of hearing.

When it was in my 800D never heard it at all i think it doesn't likw my ax1200 ps.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    i think it doesn't likw my ax1200 ps
    tried a diff psu to confirm?
    maybe faulty psu not mobo
    Last edited by Creekin; 11-21-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    X2k

My creative titanium caused those problems with an old mobo of mine. Changed everything, then finally found out that somehow the soundcard in my system was the one causing the problems.
    It didnt cause problems in other systems. Somehow the mobo reacted on that soundcard, try moving your hardware arround as in different distances. might help you find the real problem!
    good luck
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12