Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB 7200 RPM

Xtreme Mentor

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 3TB 7200 RPM

The Deskstar™ 7K3000 is Hitachi’s first hard drive to deliver an enormous three terabytes of storage capacity and 7200 RPM performance in a standard 3.5-inch form factor. The 7K3000 is also the first Hitachi hard drive with a 6Gb/s SATA interface, which along with its 64MB cache buffer delivers a big boost to performance over the previous generation product. The Deskstar 7K3000 is designed to allow manufacturers to leverage the benefits of the latest components and operating systems to deliver high-performance, high-capacity, power-efficient systems. Manufacturers planning to use the highest capacity 3TB drive in systems should consult the Hitachi High Capacity Technology Brief. Deskstar 7K3000 is also available in 2TB and 1.5TB models that accommodate existing systems, as well as new designs.
    http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-d...eskstar-7k3000

Xtreme Addict
    wow, impressed with the 7200 rpm.

now the question on everyone's mind:
    how many platters?
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Member
    seeing as samsung F4 already rocks with 5400 rpm this should be awsome. i'm hoping on a 3 platter... no realistic though. more like 4 or 5 disk array.
    If this is a 3 or 4 platter i'm betting we'll see an even bigger disk before H2 2011.
    cpu : e6850 @ 3.5ghz
    cooler : boxed
    mem : balistix 8500 @ 1000mhz 4-4-4-4
    board : asus p5k-e wifi
    graphics : 7800gtx
    harddisk : wd raptor 74gb
    dvd : nec 7173A
    dvdrw : optiarc 18x
    psu : enermax liberty 620W
    screen : dell 3007wfp hc

i would bet 5 600GB platters
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I agree

Xtreme Addict
    6Gb/s and 7200rpm... why?
    7200rpm is fine to have, not really necessary since these will normally be used as storage drives.
    but why the hell 6Gb/s? marketing gimmick?
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    6Gb/s and 7200rpm... why?
    7200rpm is fine to have, not really necessary since these will normally be used as storage drives.
    but why the hell 6Gb/s? marketing gimmick?
    it makes it more compatible since u need all devices to be the same sata mode and there is no real increase in cost, i would not pay extra for a sataIII drive but there will be the need to transition so why not.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it makes it more compatible since u need all devices to be the same sata mode and there is no real increase in cost, i would not pay extra for a sataIII drive but there will be the need to transition so why not.
    if the plan is to switch all drives to sataIII then that is reason enough.
    i would expect all future drives to be sataIII then, if not, then marketing gimmicks.
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme CCIE
    What is this line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitachi
    Media transfer rate (Mbits/sec, max) - 1656
    Interface transfer rate (MB/sec, max) - 600
    That would equate to 207MB/s, which would be extremely quick. Enough so that I think I'm going to be on record as being suspicious until I see it proven. But if they can pull it off, well, that would be pretty sweet. I guess we'll have to see whether they're actually talking about the speed one can hope for from the drive or whether they're referring to a totally pointless potential internal transfer rate that won't reflect on the actual speed of the drive as a whole (eg. exactly like they are in quoted line #2).

Also, price? Availability date? Hopefully they can get this out in a reasonable time and at a reasonable price... the slow production of 2+TB drives and silly prices for them needs to stop.
    Last edited by Serra; 11-13-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    probably talking about burst speed, keep in mind that is max, not average.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    probably talking about burst speed, keep in mind that is max, not average.
    Platter drives don't really burst, except from cache. It could be that's what they're talking about, others have made that claim before. If they're talking about actual disk speeds it would definitely be start-of-disk speeds and not end-of-disk.

A current WD 2TB drive is something like 160MB/s to start, so it's actually conceivable that it is the speed of the drive... but again, we'll see.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Wanna look under my kilt?
    3TB of info on one disk scares me... theres never an amount of data thats acceptable to lose... but 3TB in one go if there is a catastrophic PSU failure or platter failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    3TB of info on one disk scares me... theres never an amount of data thats acceptable to lose... but 3TB in one go if there is a catastrophic PSU failure or platter failure?
    same here.. I'm sticking with 1TB for a while still - they can only get cheaper too!

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    What is this line?

That would equate to 207MB/s, which would be extremely quick. Enough so that I think I'm going to be on record as being suspicious until I see it proven. But if they can pull it off, well, that would be pretty sweet. I guess we'll have to see whether they're actually talking about the speed one can hope for from the drive or whether they're referring to a totally pointless potential internal transfer rate that won't reflect on the actual speed of the drive as a whole (eg. exactly like they are in quoted line #2).

Also, price? Availability date? Hopefully they can get this out in a reasonable time and at a reasonable price... the slow production of 2+TB drives and silly prices for them needs to stop.
    if they do ~207MB/s .. thats insane.. I cant wait to see how much MB/s this platter denisty gets in a 15Krpm SAS drive
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Guru
    Nevertheless, higher density platters with inevitably proliferate into smaller drives, making them cheaper, faster, and possibly more reliable
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If I was to guess, these probably use 750GB platters since most companies have recently announced that as the current technology.

I'm also concerned about reliability, I haven't done any scientific research or statistical analysis, but to me it seems like hdd's just don't last as long as they used compared to lower disc densities, perhaps PMR technology is reaching it's limits in data handling as it becomes more and more dense.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Xtreme Addict
    I never liked Hitachi for some reason. Western Digital is my best bet. Though i'm hearing good things about latest Hitachi drives...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I have the 7200RPM 2TB version. Can't say I'm disappointed at all. It runs a little warm, but only a few degrees higher. If I was in the market, I'd buy a 3TB hitachi drive without question.

As for everyone scared of losing data, buy a 2nd drive to back up. That's what I do!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Administrator
    This is true and a large amount of data to have on one disk. But your statement is ture for any disk size and doesn't matter if it's a big drive or smaller ones.

I think we all have had drives go out at one point in time where we lost data. But you learn to make backups so this is not really an issue. If you rely on only 1 3TB drive for storage then at some point you might risk losing it all.

Get a second 3TB drive and use that one for backups. Get backup software such as Arconis and incase you need to recover data programs like DiskDoctor can recover data very easy. Build a WHS out of spare computer parts to store large amounts of data on or keep backups.

Learn these things and losing a drive is not that painful.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 11-15-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    I have the 7200RPM 2TB version. Can't say I'm disappointed at all. It runs a little warm, but only a few degrees higher. If I was in the market, I'd buy a 3TB hitachi drive without question.

As for everyone scared of losing data, buy a 2nd drive to back up. That's what I do!
    I'm running CrystalDiskInfo program that's monitoring vital HDD signs. As soon as one parameter goes beyond threshold, it will warn me. So the chances of losing something is very small (though not impossible). But i trust this program because it did warned me correctly on a going dead Samsung which was already causing BSOD's, but i couldn't figure out it was HDD that was causing them...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    I'm running CrystalDiskInfo program that's monitoring vital HDD signs. As soon as one parameter goes beyond threshold, it will warn me. So the chances of losing something is very small (though not impossible). But i trust this program because it did warned me correctly on a going dead Samsung which was already causing BSOD's, but i couldn't figure out it was HDD that was causing them...
    translation: "what backup?"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Owned a 500 GB drive, It only died because I was stacking hard drives >.<" my bad.. It was running pretty hot too. I think HDs are pretty reliable if actively cooled by a quiet low rpm fan. Seagate LPs are pretty good for 89$ when I last bought them from NCIX. save spots for Sata ports/case bays instead of buying another board or controller...

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    now the question on everyone's mind:
    how many platters?
    >9000

Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    I cant wait to see how much MB/s this platter denisty gets in a 15Krpm SAS drive
    Higher RPM drives use different, less dense, media unfortunately.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    That why you put your old array of 2 TB disks into the basement and mirror into a snapshotted backup array

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Higher RPM drives use different, less dense, media unfortunately.
    they are behind, but not *that far behind
    current gen cheetahs do the predicted ~207MB/s that these 3TB do.. so another bump up with density..mmm..I'm just guessing, maybe ~250MB/s
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast