Thread: Anyone use MJ on ubuntu?

Xtreme Legend

Anyone use MJ on ubuntu?

As title

I'd like to try this on ubuntu ...BUT....I never used it or mono before so I need lots of info but only very specific to crawling

The idea is to set up two vms side by side and observe the performance...if good then no more Windows licenses so more scalable

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I installed Ubuntu(Hardy Heron release) last year to try out MJ12; unfortunately my patience ran out trying to install mono and getting MJ12 to work Though Linux is probably better than Windows for crawling for 2 reasons: you can install multiple nodes(in different directories) on one OS, saving CPU time and ram on VMs and the network protocol is apparently more efficient than Windows' .NET stack. I just stick with a Windows 7 lite version for my VMs for now. If I get a surge of inspiration I might try installing MJ12 in a linux OS

Xtreme Cruncher
    used it in a box for some days. Much easier than centos BTW
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have 5 nodes on Ubuntu now, it runs great Being able to have more than 1 node on a single operating system is very convenient

Xtreme Legend
    Curious about the rig specs...cpu, speed, ram, how many hard drives, and where do you feel the limit is and why

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got 3 Windows virtual machines and 1 Ubuntu VM(with 5 nodes in it). Currently all my nodes run under 1 rig, a Q6600 @ 3GHz with 8 gigs ram and 3 hard drives.

With Windows VMs the limit is 1 MJ12 node per OS, which is not very efficient at all. With VMware I assign each VM it's own CPU core and then leave 1 for my main non-VM node. This limits you to 4 total Windows nodes(main + 3 Win VMs). The biggest drawback to running nodes on Windows VMs is that for each additional Windows VM you add, it creates a lot of disk traffic until it's hard for the disk to meet the demands of many Windows VM installations at once. The solution for that is to add more disks. For the 3 Windows VMs I have, I installed each one to its own disk, with my main node sharing the most powerful disk with 1 of the Windows VMs(VM is in its own partition).

With Ubuntu, you can assign it 1, 2 or all 4 CPU cores and load up as many nodes as you want on it, just in different directories within Ubuntu. Since you only have 1 operating system to worry about, your hardware can be dedicated to running more nodes instead of running several Windows operating systems, let alone their MJ12 nodes. The only drawback to linux nodes is they use mono instead of Window's .NET system, which isn't always as stable and may have bugs from time to time. Though I think it's worth it in the long run. Getting linux nodes up and running is very simple and your hardware is used much more efficiently

tl;dr version: Windows VMs = disk bottleneck, Ubuntu VMs bottleneck = possible CPU bottleneck