Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Anatomy of a OCZ SSD smoked drive.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Silverstone did a good job with testing the suspect PSU after they fixed the problem and reporting their findings.
    fixed

Banned
    Well, stangracin3, I have seen no evidence that Silverstone has been dishonest. If you believe things without evidence, then you must believe just about anything.

The only evidence I have seen is that Silverstone took the time to test the suspect part and report their results. OCZ refused to even examine the suspect parts. Worse, OCZ's support people made posts that indicate that they jump to conclusions without even examining the evidence. I cannot make any conclusions about the quality of the parts from OCZ or Silverstone based on this thread, but I can certainly conclude that Silverstone's customer support is far better than OCZ's.

the jedi master
    No, the problem was that OCZ would not let Computurd send back the drives for failure analysis. And this is not the first time OCZ has refused to even test drives for failure analysis. That is a major failure of OCZ customer support.

Silverstone did a good job with testing the suspect PSU and reporting their findings.
    I said he could send them in, thats not an issue, the issue was he opened them, and there was no 3rd party test on the psu. Opening the drives voided any warranty he had with us....no ifs or buts with that one, rules are rules.

Now....i have a solution for him, it will not be published on XS...it will be up to Computurd if he wants to tell you after I talk with him.

Im done here now....

Computurd, go over to www.ocztechnologyforum.com, log in and PM me..I will get back to you tomorrow. Its 2:30am here and im tired.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. The adapter is just a bracket, your SATA and power connectors still connect directly to the drive
    A cable should be in between to convert the 2.5" sata format for use in a desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-176-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-004-_-Product

But as you see their needs to be some sort of conversion for the drive to be used in a desktop. If this conversion is done incorrectly then it should cause the problem found in this thread.
    Last edited by zeroibis; 11-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I said he could send them in, thats not an issue, the issue was he opened them, and there was no 3rd party test on the psu.
    Do you think everyone here are idiots?

After OCZ told him that they would NOT let him return the drives for test or replacement, then Computurd opened them to have a look. Then you told him he could send them in, but since he opened them, the warranty is void! A little late there, Tony, wouldn't you say?

Xtreme Guru
    Well at this point i think i will see what they say tomorrow.

i will tackle a few things here though...

Just accept that the drives are bad and move on.
    thank you for the wonderful advice. funny thing, ive already come to the conclusion that they were bad all on my own, just by looking at THE BIG BLACK SCORCHING ON THE PCB!
    but thank you for the reminder

I have taken the luxury of ordering your model power supply on ebay. I'm gonna hook up my old POC SSD to it with the plug backwards JUST to see what happens. If it doesn't die from that, I'll be more than happy to hook up 12v to the 5v to see what happens. You might not have plugged it in backwards, but I'll get a good amount of closure proving that it DOES break the drives.
    well josh that is entertaining. you are buying a used PSU? wouldn't that be a bad way to start a test, using your 'control' for this experiment as a used piece of equipment you are buying off Ebay, of all godforsaken places to roll the dice with computer hardware. ROFL! well, so we start the test on a bad footing, but lets screw it up even more by testing based on bad premise! seriously john, no one is arguing whether or not it is possible if it would fry the components if wired backwards. i dont recall seeing anyone one of us "people with no education or experience with printed circuits and a bunch of home-bound geeks who think they know more than they do" saying it wouldnt fry if hooked up backwards. also, no one has said that hooking 12v to a 5v will not fry it! of course it will! you have missed the thrust of this thread terribly josh. seriously i am beginning to wonder about you....not one individual has stated that plugging it in backwards will not fry it. i look forward to this colossal waste of money and time with baited breath, of that i assure you, as the joke is on you, sir. please make a video of this for our enjoyment! i promise to link it in my sig!
    i think you have read so much about this PSU in your research here that you are actually very impressed with it and want one. it is just the most powerful beast on the planet

And someone else figure out the wonderful advantages of having "proprietary" plugs. Anyone else ever figure out that those fantastic modular plugs that we all use are NOT per any specification other than those the power supply manufacturer invented on the spot?
    oh my. is it because they do not want it to fit in other companies PSU's, for safetys sake?

SS definitely won't go dropping cash that's more than 5x the cost of their PSU just to replace some components
    power supply cost 400 bucks. if you catch a sale the vertex drives that got smoked cost 79 bucks each. do the math! roughly half the cost of the device nowhere 5x!

I've got a new PSU in the mail, and I plan to cook me an SSD just like the OP.
    rofl. you think you are proving something here! thats rich! i have a rosewill , a PC&P, a st1200 and st1500, an antec, and two no-name 200W psu, all in this very room with me that i could use to fry an ssd if i intended to do so intentionally~ ANY psu can fry one provided you are trying to do it.
    seriously Josh, i cant believe that first you "recuse" yourself from this thread, them come back blasting with this ridiculous "i bought a psu and under controlled circumstances intended for failure, i intend to make a device fail!" argument.
    seriously i am trying to not break the rules of this forum, as it is my home but you must stop for the sake of us all!
    Last edited by Computurd; 11-16-2010 at 12:00 AM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Guru
    and now for serious business...

Did they return the same PSU back after testing it? Is there any sign of a repair being undertaken?

I did not receive the same PSU back, i know that for sure. i received a brand new unit two days after they received mine. they sent me a new unit before testing the one i gave them. they sent the PSU back to Taiwan for testing, which is why they took absolutely forever to return a reply. They do equipment testing stateside, which is where i sent it in California, but in case a failure is detected they do not have the necessary equipment to do a complete failure analysis here, was the explanation i was given. so with the severity of the issue, and the nature of my claim, they said it had to be tested in Taiwan. note the Taiwanese symbols on the test report, also the terrible engrish () in the document tell me they did it for real. also, note where they put the date, it is wrong, backwards from how we write it. the pictures they took are high res, so with it zoomed in to 400 percent i can see that the computer screen in that picture the writing on the computer screen is in symbols, NOT english. i have looked over this document twenty five hundred times to spot if it is a fake, and not really sent to taiwan. i have tried to be thourough. it looks real to me dammit.
    now, seriously, who here thinks that they spent the time and money to send this damn thing all the way back to Taiwan and then faked the results? what would be the point? why not fake them here and be done with it?

I am telling you, they seemed intent upon documenting everything, insisting on precise written descriptions, etc. they were serious about this. it was a big peace of mind when it was handled professionally (for the most part, waiting sucked). i seriously believe they tested this in good faith. they seemed genuinely concerned about a failure!
    Last edited by Computurd; 11-15-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

NooB MOD
    I said he could send them in, thats not an issue, the issue was he opened them, and there was no 3rd party test on the psu. Opening the drives voided any warranty he had with us....no ifs or buts with that one, rules are rules.

Now....i have a solution for him, it will not be published on XS...it will be up to Computurd if he wants to tell you after I talk with him.

Im done here now....

Computurd, go over to www.ocztechnologyforum.com, log in and PM me..I will get back to you tomorrow. Its 2:30am here and im tired.
    Except that he states that he only opened them after being told he may not send them back?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
    A cable should be in between to convert the 2.5" sata format for use in a desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-176-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-004-_-Product

But as you see their needs to be some sort of conversion for the drive to be used in a desktop. If this conversion is done incorrectly then it should cause the problem found in this thread.
    There's nothing special about those cables. It's SATA to SATA and SATA power to Molex power, and there is no need to use one. I don't SATA 3.5" == SATA 2.5", the only time you'd need an adapter is when going from SATA 1.8" to SATA 3.5"
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

the jedi master
    Do you think everyone here are idiots?

After OCZ told him that they would NOT let him return the drives for test or replacement, then Computurd opened them to have a look. Then you told him he could send them in, but since he opened them, the warranty is void! A little late there, Tony, wouldn't you say?
    you sir by arguing with me are putting any deal i may make with forum members at risk in the future...

I am talking to Paul now, i hope you respect this and back off, he can look after himself, he does NOT need you doing it for him.
    Last edited by Tony; 11-16-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Except that he states that he only opened them after being told he may not send them back?
    that does NOT matter, he felt he had a case for RMA and should NOT have opened the drives...PERIOD.

Once opened warranty void...in ALL cases.

So you guys take note here, I see drives opened on a forum and then you try RMA = very bad for your claim.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well, stangracin3, I have seen no evidence that Silverstone has been dishonest. If you believe things without evidence, then you must believe just about anything.
    You know what's so great about your statement? You can't possibly ever be wrong with your statement. Silverstone might have been completely dishonest at every turn. But there's no way anyone outside of a handful of people could actually prove it. And those people that are "in the know" if they were dishonest all work at Silverstone. All we have is some documents from Silverstone that said it was tested fine and they even sent him back a new PSU. I'm not saying Silverstone is trying to save their skin, but you can't sit here and argue that Silverstone was honest when you can't even make that leap of faith. There's no evidence that they were honest or dishonest. Just a report they provided. I can fake reports too? In fact, thanks to human error, they could have provided the report and accidentally tested the wrong PSU on accident without any intention of being dishonest.

You gotta have smoking gun evidence for everything, don't you? First it was that only one drive smoked, so the other 2 MUST have failed from something else. Then since YOU don't have any solid irrefutable evidence you criticize others because they have a theory. Why don't you talk about your 10+ years in the electronics industry, the countless pieces of equipment that you've had to fix with a solder iron and a few hours of your time.

Even if these drives had been sent for analysis and paid for by OCZ, the results would have likely pointed to a list of 2-5 things that "could" have caused the failure. There isn't always a 100% rock solid irrefutable reason why something happened. When the "magic smoke" is released from devices, it often makes it difficult or impossible to identify the exact method of failure. That the way it is with the failure of electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    thank you for the wonderful advice. funny thing, ive already come to the conclusion that they were bad all on my own, just by looking at THE BIG BLACK SCORCHING ON THE PCB!
    but thank you for the reminder
    You came to the conclusion, but you haven't accepted it. You are in stage 3 of loss(Bargaining). For the record, your bargaining is "if only I had known what really happened to my SSDs". Sure, this might be just a few SSDs, but the stages of loss and grief apply to alot more than just death. Ask a few psychologists. Judging from the fact that you posted this in the forum and have managed to get 6 pages of comments from various people, get OCZ support involved, youre a little more than "darn, I broke it". You're trying to leverage OCZ to tell you exactly why they failed. Sure, you might then argue with me that you don't care why they failed, you just want OCZ to be sure it's not a recurring issue with their line of products. They did. They said "don't ship it to us, but thanks".

well josh that is entertaining. you are buying a used PSU?
    As a matter of fact, it's not used. It's brand spanking new. I'd never buy a used PSU. Just because I bought it on ebay means it must be used? I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's used.

oh my. is it because they do not want it to fit in other companies PSU's, for safetys sake?
    I have no idea where you get the idea that safety is at all involved with having a "standard" for modular jacks. In case you didn't know, "Molex" is a standard. Check out the standard here.

Let's imagine a world without the molex connector, shall we? If Molex connectors hadn't been adopted as a standard for power supply connections you'd be stuck buying Brand A power supply, then stuck buying only components that are compatible with that one brand. For instance, you might might be stuck with an OCZ power supply and Seagate hard drive. But if you wanted a WD hard drive, you might have to buy Enermax. Oh, you wanted fans connected directly to the PSU? Sorry, Enermax isn't compatible with fans. You'd have to buy a Rosewill PSU if you want fans. But you'd have to get a Samsung HD then. Sure, you could always hot-wire them, IF you make the assumption that all of these PSUs in my hypothetical situation actually used the same voltage. Heck, PSU companies might have tried to use AC power for components. Image how that would work out for those of us wanting universal compatibility. I can tell some of us weren't around when Commodore 64, IBM, Amiga, Tandy, and others were all trying to get into the computer market. Why did the IBM(compatible) succeed? Partly, because there was standards that everyone could come to expect. The others had very odd and rather unconventional proprietary hardware and software requirements.

My point is if they all agreed to one standard there would be expected current ratings for the plugs, expected voltages on pin configurations, and all of the plugs would be universally the same and all of the cables would be the compatible. Molex plugs are now unsafe because they are a standard? SATA power cables and plugs are now unsafe because they are a standard? ATX is a standard too, is that now unsafe? Did you even know that ATX has specifications such as the maximum temperature of the air entering and existing your case? These aren't stuff a few people invent on a Friday night binge. The computer industry is innovated BY standards, not made unsafe by them. You don't seem to have a grasp as to what a standard does for the computer industry(same thing applies for other industries). Without standards the industry fragments and is weaker.

People are lobbying congress to pass a law forcing cell phone companies to establish a standard for the phone charger plug on cell phone. People are sick of paying up the nose for a proprietary connector every time they need a cell phone charger. The same applies here. Standards are the way the world innovates. Before there are standards there are always companies trying to get their fill of money from proprietary connections. I'd wager that in the next 5 years or so there will very likely be a standard for modular PSUs. Safety has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on having an approved standard for modular connectors. In fact, standards, when considered and implemented well, are safer for the consumer. You don't have to worry about accidentally hooking up the wrong voltages to a component and have some component blow up in your face.

Have I convinced you that standards are good for the consumer yet?

rofl. you think you are proving something here! thats rich! i have a rosewill , a PC&P, a st1200 and st1500, an antec, and two no-name 200W psu, all in this very room with me that i could use to fry an ssd if i intended to do so intentionally~ ANY psu can fry one provided you are trying to do it.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but to YOU it might not matter. But to people trying to figure out the truth, you WANT to have as few possible variables in your controlled test as possible. What if your PSU has a feature that checks for a short to ground before applying power? The model I check might not have that particular feature and therefore my results would not as closely match with the conditions that your drives burned in. It is absolutely necessary to try to use the same components whenever possible. Of course, few people in this thread would probably understand and embrace such a fundamental concept.

-------------------

On another note the reason I blasted the thread is we will never know for absolute 100% certainty(at least, we won't have 100% of the thread agreeing on the failure mechanism). I said this back here. 5 days ago! There's no new evidence, and there really isn't going to be much new evidence unless there's something that the OP realizes he did wrong, or something he noticed when he was putting the system together and didn't realize how important his observation was until now.

So, yeah, this has been a thread of name calling and and people arguing that others are wrong for how many pages now? 4 pages? Let's just accept that we aren't going to get our answers. If there were answers to be had, we would have had them on page one. Like I had said before, this thread should have been locked. There's no value in continuing to argue what nobody in this thread could ever prove. All we have is some theories, insufficient facts to ever give a 100% reason, and some interesting coincidences.

Good day gentleman!

Xtreme Addict
    I looked at this thread when it was first started, and I find it
    very hard to believe that the PSU was not at fault here.

You installed new PSU, then all three ssd's got smoked!!!
    Your logic is one ssd is more damaged/smoked/blackend
    than the others, so it must have been the culprit. This logic
    has no basis for truth.

I am an engineer, and I work on electronic & software projects,
    one of my duties is to try to destroy circuits by under volting/over volting/reverse polarity/etc..
    the SSD look like they have been subjected to reverse polarity, however when I test circuits
    to see how they react to reverse polarity, most of the time they have different degrees of visual
    damage. Why? because parts like fets, voltage regs, diodes, etc.. they are not all manufactured
    perfectly alike, so when fault happens some will pop/break circuit instantly, while others will
    hang on a bit longer ultimately causing more damage.

Anyhow since the PSU was sent back to SilverStone without first testing the cables for correct voltage/polarity this is kind of moot now.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Banned Movieman...
    that does NOT matter, he felt he had a case for RMA and should NOT have opened the drives...PERIOD.

So you guys take note here, I see drives opened on a forum and then you try RMA = very bad for your claim.
    well said.

also one other tip of advice that was said earlier but i will repeat now.

DON'T GIVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION

Xtreme Cruncher
    CrazyNutz.. you are my hero. But don't worry, they'll discount your "experience" as heresay and try to prove you wrong.

Xtreme Guru
    but the stages of loss and grief apply to alot more than just death.
    oh jesus now you are trying to bring psychology into this?

In case you didn't know, "Molex" is a standard.
    again, you are assuming that i am not that bright, apparently. i was speaking directly to the connectors where they connect to the PSU, not the plugs that are on the end. they are keyed for a reason. and they need to be proprietary keyed. this is so that the scenario that you keep repeating incessantly does not happen. ya see, PSU have evolved a bit since you owned a modular one apparently. you cant hook them up backwards with the reputable brands. you cannot hook a different psu line to another one. sometimes, not even different models will work with each other. again you rant in an effort to make your post look important, explaining things that do not need explained. your next four paragraphs after that are simply filler.

t to people trying to figure out the truth, you WANT to have as few possible variables in your controlled test as possible.
    wow. thanks for that nugget of info there. that would have never occurred to me. you are twisting what i am saying, but i will not debate the English language with you. you need to understand what is being said. its called comprehension. i know that you can read, but you are showing issues with understanding.
    the point is this: you are trying to conduct an experiment to specifically make something fail. then you are going to proclaim, i made it fail! big deal, the point is you are going to succeed because you want it to fail.
    ok so test this. take a hammer, and hit your thumb, with no protective covering, as hard as you possibly can. then tell us if it hurts. this is the same thing you are doing. you are trying to prove an accepted fact and then apply it to this so-called debate. that makes no sense.
    What does you "proving" that overvoltaging a component will destroy it explain? that over-volting a component will fry it? why would you need to prove that? its already proven!

unless there's something that the OP realizes he did wrong
    on with this again, you really think that i did it is the whole reason for all this nonsense you spout. its very simple, you connect two cords to a device. much like i have hooked up thousands of devices before. i have demonstrated how the connector on the psu could not have been connected wrong. do you think i hooked the sata power to the data port? lol! what exactly do you think i did?

So, yeah, this has been a thread of name calling
    as far as i can tell you are the only one so far to have engaged in this.
    upon being proven wrong, and basically outmaneuvered, you claim you are leaving, then come back in to berate and insult the members of this forum, and myself included, even more.
    Seriously, you need to think before you type. i too have been guilty of this before, so im not going to hold it against you josh.

twain said it best:

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."---unfortunately i have gotten embroiled in this with you, and now probably look just as irrational as you.

im trying to find a reasonable resolution to this issue, you turning this into a flame war is not helping.
    but believe me, im no slouch when it comes to flames you will not bully me.
    Last edited by Computurd; 11-16-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    No, the problem is that people have this idiotic idea that they couldn't possibly have all failed from the same thing even though they don't look the same. Who cares?

What's important is that they're broke. If someone isn't satisfied with that answer, they can spend the money on an analysis. It's funny how YOU have no problem expecting OCZ to spend their money, but YOU won't spend the money, and neither did the OP.

It's "disturbing"(to use your words) that someone wouldn't realize that a multi-billion dollar company has alot more money to dump on an analysis than a computer geek sitting at home that lost 3 SSDs. If you're so interested in this, put your money where your mouth is and reproduce the incident. I've got a new PSU in the mail, and I plan to cook me an SSD just like the OP.

Like I said before, this thread is only people arguing their point. There has been no new facts added to this thread in 2 pages, and I'm sure the next 2 will be just as "insightful". I knew it would turn into an argument between people with no education or experience with printed circuits and a bunch of home-bound geeks who think they know more than they do.
    This guy has a god complex... no point in feeding his ego with anymore responses!

Banned
    you sir by arguing with me are putting any deal i may make with forum members at risk in the future...

I am talking to Paul now, i hope you respect this and back off, he can look after himself, he does NOT need you doing it for him.
    Great support, OCZ! First refuse to RMA failed parts from your customers, then after they reasonably decide to take a quick look at the parts themselves, tell them that oh, you could have sent it back after all, but you looked inside so now you are screwed.

Then threaten customers and potential customers to keep quiet about OCZ's horrible customer service.

Way to go, OCZ! You have just solidified your position on my all time never buy list. And you better believe I will let friends and colleagues know about OCZ's sorry excuse for customer service.

NooB MOD
    I think before anyone more comments we should wait to hear the outcome from Comp.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Banned
    I think before anyone more comments we should wait to hear the outcome from Comp.
    I've heard enough already. Best possible case now is that OCZ does a thorough analysis on the failed drives, and replaces them if it is determined that they were defective.

But the problem I have is not with the quality of OCZ's parts, but with the customer service. Why should customers have to repeatedly ask, argue, beg or plead just to have OCZ test failed parts? And then be threatened by OCZs representatives?

Any decent customer service would have immediately issued an RMA number for the parts when they were first contacted, and then tested the parts once they were received. At that point, they either return the parts to the customer with an analysis showing that the failure was not due to the drives themselves, or else replaced the drives.

There are at least two reasons for providing this type of customer service. One is obviously that it shows respect for customers. Customers should not have to argue or beg to receive an RMA number. And second, one of the best ways to improve the quality of a product is to examine actual failures from the field and to learn as much as possible about what caused the failures so that future products might be manufactured that do not suffer from the same failures.

Xtreme 3D Team

Seriously, lets use some common sense here. First, do you really think opening the drive would cause the burn marks? They didn't work before they were opened either.

Secondly, he opened them because you guys denied RMA. He doesn't even want new drives back, he just wants you guys (OCZ) to look at them to see if maybe certain batches of your drives could possibly be faulty. (SSD failing? *GASP!* What are the odds!)

Not even this, you are coming off as slightly arrogant posting on the forum in that type of tone. How many customers did you lose in this thread alone? You would have been better off RMA'ing them anyway, impressing potential buyers, and selling more product.

*MODIFIED*
    I understand that he felt he had a case for RMA, but our warranty states that you should not open the drives...period.

Once opened warranty void...in all cases.

When I see drives opened on a forum and then you try RMA them to me, it's not very good for your claim under our warranty.
    Wow, that sounds way more polite.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    1. I don't give a hoot about the molex connector. I'm saying that the modular jack that connects to the PSU itself should be a standard. NOT the molex. Why would I try to discuss why standards are great then use molex as an example of why it's great when if I was talking about molex connectors? I'm talking about a standard plug that goes from your PSU to your modular cable. That "keyed" connector you are referring to is proprietary. My comment was solely that the PSU industry needs to establish a standard for that, and use a hard plastic. Some brands use a flexible plastic that is so flexible even though it's keyed you can still install it wrong.(yes, the plastic was THAT flexible!)

2. I'm not trying to proclaim it failed. I'm trying to proclaim it failed EXACTLY like yours did. That's what I'm trying to prove. I know it's going to fail. I want to see HOW it fails. Comprehension.. it's a beautiful thing.

3. No. I'm not implying anything at all whatsoever. I'm simply saying that you might have realized after the fact you did something. I'm not making any assumptions whatsoever. I wouldn't have mentioned(or even considered)you plugged in the power conector to data because that would be pretty low(and stupid). Honestly, I don't know if I could have thought up your scenario as a reason for the failure.

You're exactly right. I shouldn't have commented in this thread at all. I try to avoid threads that have no question asked of the forum. All you did was tell us a story. I prefer to spend my time answering questions of inquisitive minds instead of reading "the story of my life". Unless it's something that someone screwed up because you COULD plug it in backwards/make a false assumption/realize the manual was wrong after you received the product/etc I don't really care about other people's stories. I hate reality TV and I hate those TV shows that want you to spend 30 minutes catching up on the latest news of the hollywood stars. What was the greater good from this thread in the end? You have the same thing you had before. 1 good PSU and 3 bad SSDs. There's nothing the forum did you couldn't have done yourself.

Honestly, you're only guilty of being honest when you called OCZ and told them what happened. If you had lied and said "they just stopped working" they would have RMA'd it and you'd have new drives. That's the ty part that really sucks IMO. If your dumb you're dumb enough to get a replacement. But if you're start, your dumb enough to be honest. Crappy world we live in.

When I look at this thread it seems you(computurd) and I don't seem to understand what we're trying to convey to each other. You're not an idiot, but I'd love to clear the air. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk in person, I'll give you my phone number. I'm in your time zone(I think). I'll be gentle.. I promise . LOL

Xtreme Guru
    When I look at this thread it seems you(computurd) and I don't seem to understand what we're trying to convey to each other. You're not an idiot, but I'd love to clear the air. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk in person, I'll give you my phone number. I'm in your time zone(I think). I'll be gentle.. I promise . LOL
    no need to jerk each other off here josh. its done. as i said, you aren't the only one to post in anger and/or haste, and i really don't care tbh. water under the bridge.

You have the same thing you had before. 1 good PSU and 3 bad SSDs.
    the drives will be examined. upon contact with tony that is the resolution. that is all i ask, so i am happy and content. when i stated that i had bought 15 of these, i wasnt joking. the money involved is peanuts to me. not bragging, it just is what it is.

the principles involved and my frustration led to this more than anything. There is a side to this that me and tony discussed but outside of our private conversation that is not something i will discuss. Tony/Ryder did have reasonable cause to be skeptical, and i could have communicated with them more clearly. i did open the drives before i contacted any other reps, or attempted to 'appeal' the decision to deny RMA< so basically i only tried once, and then popped em open. rules are rules when it comes to that, i did open them, and that does void the warranty. there is no getting around that.

As i stated with Ryder, and this applies to Tony as well, this isnt personal. this is business as they say.

I have known and read many posts/knowledge from Tony, RyderOCZ, and Praz for years. they have posted on my threads, here, and at OCZ, and i have posted on theirs. never have we had a disagreement of this nature.
    Now, I did become heated about this issue quite a bit, i admit that totally. Alot of it had to do with being pestered basically and getting involved with someone that had little or nothing to do with any type of resolution.

I do respect Tony/Ryder and Praz. they are guys working jobs just as much as we are, and at least they do exhibit passion about their jobs, a passion many dont have. even if that passion comes down to being offended and/or pissed off cause THEY feel they are getting a raw deal, it is still there. pause for a second and think of a job you pour your heart out on, and someone possibly hurts your rep, and possibly future sales, by posting something of this sort. putting myself in their shoes i can understand that.

just because i respect them doesn't mean i cant disagree with them on certain things, though.

I am sure i will be vilified for walking away like this, but it.

now, for all intents and purposes, i am done with this. if people do vent about OCZ or SilverStone, though, could we keep it at them, and not individuals?

i would almost ask for thread to be locked. if i have to set here and watch Josh do a controlled failure of an SSD in this thread i might actually kill myself. (sorry josh, but start a different thread for that crap)
    Last edited by Computurd; 11-16-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

As per request of the OP and due to the fact the thread has pretty much ran its course and is not continuing down a decent line. I am locking this thread.

Dead Thread

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456