Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lazylog Nigredo (Obsidian 800D 560+280)

Never go full retard
    Looking good church, nice side panel mod and radiator placement,

Xtreme Member
    is that an EK 250 res?

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks, skinnee . The main point of this radiator placement scheme was to leave original disk enclosures as is. I couldn't think of any other scheme with max rad area in 800D and not taking out at least bottom non-hotswap disk enclosure (well, except rad in bottom compartment placed longitudinally on side, but it would mean buying non-windowed 700D side+remaking window, for rad-fan cutouts). Plus i hope that airflow from right to left between side fans on rad and ones on other side will enhance cooling of hard disks.
    matt220: Nope. Just as OP post says - I&H Stealhres 275 with Stealthclamps. Similar to EK's, but imho better looking (hidden/internal threads between center acrylic part and ends of it, +thin "stealthed" clamps with springs).

I am Xtreme
    Looks good! That's a lot of cooling power!
    And I am not sure it's worth waiting, there is always something new around the corner...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Wowzor!!! Lovin it!!! :d
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Hey churchy, there she goes messing with you again^^

Looking very good. This case is wonderful. I wait for a new photos.
    Good Luck

Xtreme Guru
    Initially I thought to leave rad unscrewed to disk enclosures (because of rather tough fit with fan on), but why not to do some less important small touches, when it's still eternity till I get HW to install in case?

Top screws are on original fan mount extruded “lips”, that were bent back in (PIC). Did that by making very shallow (don't cut in too deep) cuts on bend angle top to easier bend back with pliers. As for lower screws .. unfortunately left one goes right in between lower 120mm mounting lip and cut, and right one .. I just dremeled off too much - so it's just shallow cuts to sides, more or less enough to screw in rad in place.

For screws themselves, I used M3 threaded (how Magicool rad is threaded) thumbscrews. Had to dremel top ones lower though, to not obstruct inserting of top drawer with disk in hotswap area. Another plus for thumbscrews apart from easier tool-less screwing in – their heads are wider, so no need for anything more in lower screw “side cuts”.

Xtreme Guru
    Cut out fansplitters from rest of breadboard PCB .. with of course , +drilled holes in them. Thought a bit how to isolate mounting screws from shorting “lines” on PCB, but then remembered that I have lot of rubber inserts from all those NB fans. Good. I still have few extra standoffs from case set, nice. Gotta use those as well.

Drilled case, now it's thread cutting time. I didn't think that it would be THAT hard to get bit to cut 6-32 thread in million people city, after all, it's one of most common thread in PCs! Any stores checked had only metric thread cutting bits. So, the heroes of the day , that came for rescue:

With these old screws I had around since Great Flood I managed to make needed thread wherever I need, yay! Now with fan splitters finally installed it looks something like this:

(BTW, for vertical one i had to re-drill/re-thread once more, that rant is lower in height, and in standoffs screwed in original holes i couldn't bolt to fan splitter, motherboard tray was too close )
    Last edited by Church; 02-25-2011 at 12:25 PM.

I am Xtreme
    A very interesting build.

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks for prise, though i don't see anything interesting in it myself. Most of ideas can be seen in other builds. Reading XS worklogs section a lot set my views & standards on what's special/what's interesting/what's quality work/what's innovative/what are good pics really high and sunk my self esteem really low .

Thanks for sharing, I was searching for cases which can handle 4x140 rad well, and your project looks awesome.
    Best of luck.

Xtreme Member
    Churchy

I didn't realize you were building an 800 chassis. Any updates? I feel your pain regarding shoe horning rads into this box

Xtreme Member
    Chuchy where did you get those things for the fans????

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks, dmtry
    SlowSVT: too small/unimportant updates to be worth to post. I call this lazylog for a reason, no worthy updates for a long time, sorry . Seems that lga2011 X78 motherboards won't be released sooner then 2011' Q3-Q4, but getting P67 & 2600K SB now will probably make me regret for not being patient.
    Raiden: fanspliters? DIY made. 20 black 3-pin male connectors, 2 black female connectors, black breadboard PCB from ebay (search for "Double-sided Breadboard prototype PCB,1160 holes"), solder on (for all except first solder on just two of pins, to not confuse rpm readings), cutoff excess, mount. Or buy ready made @p-pcs

Xtreme Member
    I just fell in love with your build!
    EVGA X58 3x-SLI Classified [with EK Full cover block]
    Sapphire Radeon 5870 [with EK-FC5870]
    Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz (3x2GB)
    Corsair HX 1000W
    Intel I-7 920 with [EK- HF Supreme]
    2x 250Gb Seagate Barracudas
    XSPC RX360 Raidator
    XSPC Single bay reservoir
    6x Scythe Gentle typhoon 1850s.
    1/2" ID, 3/4" OD Tygon tubing.