Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: AMD to Start Production of Desktop "Bulldozer" Microprocessors in April.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    I understand John

But, as a consumer who has to change his rig soon, what arguments will make me wait for Bulldozer ?
    The first question I would ask you is why do you have to change?

The second question would be "is it worth changing before you have all of the data on both systems?"

I am not a client guy, but if you buy without knowing what both sides are really delivering then you take the risk. It's your call.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post

The second question would be "is it worth changing before you have all of the data on both systems?"

I am not a client guy, but if you buy without knowing what both sides are really delivering then you take the risk. It's your call.
    Hello John,

Thanks for answering first

First question :
    I got an old P5B Deluxe board (4 years old), works really good, crunching 24/7 (until death certainly ...) but I need a new rig soon. I got the money (for one time ) so I will be on buying something in 2011.

Second question :
    That's always the same question dude
    I'm already waiting for AMD's or Intel's responses, that's the game
    But, from one side, I know barely perfs and launch date and on the other side, I don't know perfs and launch date.

I can understand the secrecy game John, Bulldozer is a really important card in AMD's game, but it's a double-edged weapon.
    A little bit of teasing will be good, no ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    but if intel could get ivy bridge or get a new stepping or a small change to sandy bridge midway through the platform integration roadmap .... and that small change would boost their advantage over the market by 10% would you call that nothing???
    I'd call that a miracle. I've never seen a stepping change gain 10% on any platform. Unless the stepping change allows you to clock your frequencies higher, the performance increase is not happening. Most stepping changes are minor tweaks to the core to correct deficiencies (errata), and to allow chips to run at lower TDP as the process matures. The only chip I remember that gained anything from a stepping change was the Athlon XP, Thoroughbred A to Thoroughbred B. But that was achieved by adding an extra metal layer to the silicon, not by core enhancements.

I have money now to spend on a new system. If Sandy Bridge totally cleans the clock of my X6 system, then I'll buy Intel if AMD refuses to release any performance data at that time.
    Last edited by freeloader; 11-07-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Addict
    anyway ... what i meant is that its possible for a company with 6 months ahead of its competition to take advantage of it ... so its normal that amd wont release info before the product release
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Ahh JF..i'am happy to read that

Like i said before..so long i don't see any chess result i never buy a new system!
    Intel or AMD can come with so many charts from there own benchmarks..they are useless for a customer with his daily program!

Don't get me wrong..they are all interesting..but useless to know if these new cpu's from Intel or AMD will be better for Chess!

JP.
    -Core i9 7980XE @4,20Ghz Vcore:1,10V
    -Asrock X299 Taichi XE
    -Custom water-cooling loop
    -16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz
    -Samsung 970 evo Plus 500Gb
    -Samsung 960 evo 250Gb
    -Samsung 850 evo 500Gb
    -Samsung SH-S223Q
    -Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC
    -Cooler Master HAF 932
    -Seasonic Prime 1300W Gold

Test results are always welcome with this Chess Test where all your cores/threads will run @100% ,Thanks
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5259523

Xtreme Addict
    If Anandtech showed us what SB is capable of 4 months before release, how can anyone expect a similar article about BD before February 2011?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasis View Post
    according to your logic, i7 must suck at big time
    huh? on the contrary, instead of adding more cache they used their transistor budget to refine the logic, ie better power management, better ht, integrate the memory controller onto the cpu...

yorkfield = 12MB L2 = 3MB/Core
    bloomfield = 2MB L2 and 8MB L3 = 2.5MB/Core
    Last edited by saaya; 11-07-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    huh? on the contrary, instead of adding more cache they used their transistor budget to refine the logic, ie better power management, better ht, integrate the memory controller onto the cpu...
    Introducing SB EP,with massive 20MBs of L3

ps For the record,I see nothing wrong in big caches.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post

What about a cache miss?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    If Anandtech showed us what SB is capable of 4 months before release, how can anyone expect a similar article about BD before February 2011?
    I can live with that. I'd wait until Feb '11 to see some numbers.

mats: amd IS NOT iNTEL, DO U NOT REMEMBER AT FIRST tHUBANS BENCHAMRKS? EVERY YEAR IS IT HARDER AND HARDER, THUBAN RESULTS WAS ABOUT 14 DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH, LOOK AT AMD GRAPHIC CARDS, DO U KNOW NOW ABOUT HD6900 ABOUT REAL PERFORMANCE? OR SIMILLARY SITUATION BEFORE YEAR WITH HD5000 ?? OR LAST DAYS BEFORE HD6800 LAUNCH? FIRST EBCHMARKS LEAKED ABOUT 10 DAYS BEFORE NDA.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme X.I.P.
    they DO have a large cache option... but its not the default config...

the basic sb config has the same l2 size and a SMALLER l3 than bloomfield...
    but they reworked the cache structure and try to make it more efficient... whether it is idk, but i guess so... and again they didnt use their transistor budget on copy pasting more cache into the chip, but used it on logic, smarter power management, integrated a gpu, added avx etc...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JPQY View Post
    Ahh JF..i'am happy to read that

Like i said before..so long i don't see any chess result i never buy a new system!
    Intel or AMD can come with so many charts from there own benchmarks..they are useless for a customer with his daily program!

Don't get me wrong..they are all interesting..but useless to know if these new cpu's from Intel or AMD will be better for Chess!

JP.

chess benchmark ???? what for ???

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    What about a cache miss?

maybe bulldozer will have something to help with that ... since we dont know too much ... how will the amount of cache make sense to anyone ...

but they reworked the cache structure and try to make it more efficient... whether it is idk, but i guess so... and again they didnt use their transistor budget on copy pasting more cache into the chip, but used it on logic, smarter power management, integrated a gpu, added avx etc...

so amd copy pasted more cache and did nothing else to bulldozer???

share your info mate id like to know more about bulldozer before anyone else
    Last edited by Sn0wm@n; 11-07-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Very simple..it's my daily program!
    -Core i9 7980XE @4,20Ghz Vcore:1,10V
    -Asrock X299 Taichi XE
    -Custom water-cooling loop
    -16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz
    -Samsung 970 evo Plus 500Gb
    -Samsung 960 evo 250Gb
    -Samsung 850 evo 500Gb
    -Samsung SH-S223Q
    -Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC
    -Cooler Master HAF 932
    -Seasonic Prime 1300W Gold

Test results are always welcome with this Chess Test where all your cores/threads will run @100% ,Thanks
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5259523

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JPQY View Post
    Very simple..it's my daily program!
    that didnt really tell me how a chess benchmark could do something on the daily part of your life ....
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    What do you mean?
    There is saaya and there is sayaa. Different people.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    There is saaya and there is sayaa. Different people.

huh ... so 2 sayaa ????

i hope both dont have the same avatar

LOL
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Xtreme Cruncher

slower and worse perf/mm2

It cuts both ways. I am also taking a very heavy risk if I wait for a new processor from AMD to build my rig without having even an iota of knowledge about the product or even specific month of launch. Especially, when we know that Bulldozer was supposed to launch in 2009. wasn't it?

The problem is that AMD is the only competitor of Intel and unfortunately we have pretty good idea about how Intel's next CPU is going to turn out. You can't keep enthusiasts, most of whom in fact care about AMD, in dark and just give them empty words to cling on. Intel is a tough beast to compete with but more secrecy from you guys doesn't really inspire confidence.

I sincerely hope some solid info is coming next week... no performance data but at least a working chip shown in public and a specific launch schedule.

Xtreme Addict
    If you are an enthusiast who cares about AMD, then you would understand why they must keep performance quiet until the right time.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Member
    idk why you guys just don't give up on getting performance data for now. amd wants to hold their cards close to their chests. most people wait till launch to gauge 2 equivalent platforms, then make an informed decision. amd will not lose out on much sales by keeping information as long as possible on performance and really look at their track record the last 3 or 4 years the more quite they are the better the part tends to be just wait for the chip to come out guys and stop begging for benches as of now. they'll come when they come. I cant wait either :P but i understand amds position im gonna be upgrading sometime within the next year and i hope amd can compete or i might go intel for the first time
    Last edited by jakefalcons; 11-07-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    phenom 2 940 stock
    gskill 4gb 1066 ddr2
    2 1.5Tb seagate hds in raid 0
    30gb ocz core series hd for os
    8800gts 640
    xigamatek 850w ps
    water cooling cpu: dtek fuzion 2, swiftech 320, 3 ultra kazes, d5 with detroit top
    custom acrylic case in progress :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    If you are an enthusiast who cares about AMD, then you would understand why they must keep performance quiet until the right time.
    No, I don't. When a company is low on trust among the people who care about it, it can't just sit and think that bad times will pass. As I said earlier, I don't have confidence in AMD anymore unless I see some chips in action. And no, I am not an Intel fanboy. In fact, I am biased towards AMD because it's the underdog.

In technology, not only it is important to have market share (something AMD never had) but also mind share (something which allows AMD to compete against Intel and something that it has lost badly on CPU side of things).

If they really have goodies in store, they ought to show them. Just a peak of it or they should go back to labs and work and not give false hopes of a magical CPU with a "radically-different architecture".

Xtreme Cruncher

Dude we are talking about 8 and 16 core products here.AMD's 8 core chip will have less total cache than intel's 8 core SB EP.No matter how you try to turn this around it doesn't fit the story that AMD somehow throws huge caches at problems while intel is sooo nice investing in logic improvements.That's just BS. AMD's 8 core orochi will have a less "per core" cache if you will,then intels SB EP (8 core) : 2MB/ core Vs 2.75MB / core.

Orochi 2module/4 core will have 8MB of total cache(4MB L2 + 4MB L3),again,less or equal total cache than SB 4C/8T models without iGPU.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hatter View Post
    It cuts both ways. I am also taking a very heavy risk if I wait for a new processor from AMD to build my rig without having even an iota of knowledge about the product or even specific month of launch. Especially, when we know that Bulldozer was supposed to launch in 2009. wasn't it?

The problem is that AMD is the only competitor of Intel and unfortunately we have pretty good idea about how Intel's next CPU is going to turn out. You can't keep enthusiasts, most of whom in fact care about AMD, in dark and just give them empty words to cling on. Intel is a tough beast to compete with but more secrecy from you guys doesn't really inspire confidence.

I sincerely hope some solid info is coming next week... no performance data but at least a working chip shown in public and a specific launch schedule.

enthusiast are 1% of the market .... get real dude ... jf-amd isnt working for the client side first of all and 2nd of all even so he wouldnt spill details before his boss tell him to do so .... he has teams of lawyers who go through everything before he can say anything about a product ... its for corporate reasons .... so wait or go intel .. its as simple as that ..... and no begging will change the situation

Quote Originally Posted by hatter View Post
    No, I don't. When a company is low on trust among the people who care about it, it can't just sit and think that bad times will pass. As I said earlier, I don't have confidence in AMD anymore unless I see some chips in action. And no, I am not an Intel fanboy. In fact, I am biased towards AMD because it's the underdog.

In technology, not only it is important to have market share (something AMD never had) but also mind share (something which allows AMD to compete against Intel and something that it has lost badly on CPU side of things).

If they really have goodies in store, they ought to show them. Just a peak of it or they should go back to labs and work and not give false hopes of a magical CPU with a "radically-different architecture".

LOL please mate ... get real ... amd hold their cards secretly so they can amaze us at the last minute .. theyve been doing it sincethe last couple of years and its been working nicely ... give em a break ... your part of a 1% of total sales market ...

be glad they even develop parts for our market ....
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    enthusiast are 1% of the market .... get real dude ... jf-amd isnt working for the client side first of all and 2nd of all even so he wouldnt spill details before his boss tell him to do so .... he has teams of lawyers who go through everything before he can say anything about a product ... its for corporate reasons .... so wait or go intel .. its as simple as that ..... and no begging will change the situation

LOL please mate ... get real ... amd hold their cards secretly so they can amaze us at the last minute .. theyve been doing it sincethe last couple of years and its been working nicely ... give em a break ... your part of a 1% of total sales market ...

be glad they even develop parts for our market ....
    Yeh, like Phenom and Phenom II and Thuban... all of which pales in comparison to competitor's products.

First of all, I am not asking JF-AMD to spill reveal trade secrets. It's a not a personal conversation. But yes, I would like AMD (don't care if it comes through JF-AMD or an official press release) to tell us a little more about BD.

I know what corp comm is and I know what lawyers do. i also know pretty well what trade secrets are. But there is a reason why marketing and PR exists. Unfortunately, I don't see AMD using either of them. Mostly it's just stupid promises. Llano in Q4, 2010, Fusion in early 2010, BD in 2009... everything has been promised.

As far as your 1% is concerned, sadly that's all AMD has. Such is the hold of Intel that out there in the market, AMD won't survive if it's not for the 1%. At least, not in desktops.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast