Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: 120mm Fan Testing on an MCR120 Radiator Round 6

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Yeah Martin, don't take my comments as being I think they are wrong. Noise is subjective and I like worse case scenarios better than a "Rosy" picture. Everyone's hearing is different and while some might find one thing annoying others wouldn't be bothered by it, just look at how often people state pumps make a noise that bothers them. Anyway, I love the work, still trying to digest the data and figure out which would be the best rad fan. I am lazy in that respect which is why I want a list based on performance.
    No problem

I completely agree with it, and experienced some of the ambient masking myself. A good example is the rosewill black fan. Under complete silence under testing conditions I can very clearly hear the motor tick the microphones pick up. However, I have that same fan temporarily serving some VGA extra cooling in my office case where I have 12 each yate mediums running strong. In my office amongst all the other noise, I can not hear the motor tick or the fan for that matter...everything blends and blurrs into one constant noise.

I think it has everything to do with ambient noise masking, you're not making anything up. The hard part is, the ambient noise level is going to be different for everyone...so it may or may not be noticeable..

It's all good

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sanyo Denki San Ace 9G1212M101 38mm

Special thanks to the finisher for sponsoring this fan

NOISE LEVEL
    Relative to the yate medium, it's up to 2dbA louder at the lower end, about the same in the middle, and about 1dbA better at the high end and extends a fair amount beyond reach of the yate. Relative to the other fans tested, it was louder than average from about 4-6V, about average 7-9V, and slightly better than average from 10-12V

NOISE QUALITY
    Very much like the 9G high speed, has a fairly pronounce motor noise at lower volts that doesn't really clean up until about 10-11V. While this is very subjective and extreme silence based testing, I have been recording every fan at the same Zoom H1 100% manual, low cut on, 12" distance. This fan has a more pronounced motor noise at lower volts, and I wouldn't recommend running under about 10V, it is really best suited running at 12V if possible. I do think the San Ace motor noise is generally smoother than that of the UK3 or PanoU. The UK3 has much more of a "Tick" where the San Ace is more of a motor bump as it turns. A few folks have expressed their own personal experience as one that they can barely here this noise I'm talking about.... So...take the noise quality notes with a grain of salt and listen to the videos with the understanding that this is worst case scenario testing here (absolute silence with an ultra high sensitive microphone) These types of noises are much less noticeable in a system where there are a multitude of there masking noises or ambient noises. As always, in order to split hairs, the testing sensitivity is turned up a notch. My suggestion is to find a similar fan you have on hand, and set the volume level to match what you are used to hearing, then start playing the videos and listen in..

OVERALL
    Variable noise level and noise quality, with top notch build quality. Regardless, I much prefer the 9S, 25mm variety over these 38mm variants. The 9S models have exceptionally good noise quality in comparison. If you happen to be a San Ace fan "Fan", I would highly recommend looking more at the 25mm San Aces. While they did produce a higher noise level, I think their noise quality is far superior. The 9SH model also produced more CFM at 12V than this 9GM model did..

VIDEO LINK
    Not yet processed at YT, but this link should work when it's ready:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaH1_qjMU5o

NOTE: I was not able to record RPM data in this test. I recorded what I could.

COMPARED TO ALL FANS TESTED SO FAR
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Delta AFB1212VHE 38mm

Special thanks to Old Chap for sponsoring this fan..

I think I've found the GT of high speed, this fan has exemplary CFM/noise ratios at high speed!!

NOISE LEVEL
    Nothing short of outstanding noise level per CFM, this fan is a good 5dbA lower in noise level than the best San Ace 109RH model and around 9 dbA lower in noise level than the Ultra Kaze 3000... wow

To rub salt in the wounds, the San Ace signs off at 61.5CFM, where this Delta model is just warming up...it carrys on clear to 82CFM...

NOISE QUALITY
    This fan as most 38mm fan does have some ticking at very low voltages, but it seems to clean up pretty quickly in comparison. I would say it's mostly smooth by 6V and gone by 7V and of smooth noise the rest of the way. Granted any fan at 60+ dbA is what I would call very loud, this fan is doing much better than all the other 3000RPM capable fans in my opinion.

RANGE
    1578-3843RPM is what I ended up getting when undervolting from 5V to 12V, pretty good.

KING OF POWER
    By a fair margin, the strongest fan tested in this round so far.

INDUSTRIAL QUALITY
    It's of very high industrial quality

OVERALL
    This fan is the Gentle Typhoon of high speed fans, nothing short of amazing CFM per dbA ratios, and very good noise quality above about 6V. I'll give this fan two thumbs up for it's amazing CFM/noise ratio and awsome raw power.

VIDEO LINK
    Here is the link, but still processing...it should be up later tonight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWwbxsoMo5c

COMPARED TO ALL FANS TESTED SO FAR
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-23-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great work martin but I think we all need this question answered.

How many of these to I need to make my own hoverboard ?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Great work martin but I think we all need this question answered.

How many of these to I need to make my own hoverboard ?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    Wait until the video uploads, it darn near turned my flow chamber into a mini rocket..I thought I was going to have to break out the tie downs for a minute there...
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-23-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Admin
    Wow, that looks like a killer high speed fan! Great tests, great presentation, great everything....keep it up!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Wow, that looks like a killer high speed fan! Great tests, great presentation, great everything....keep it up!
    Thanks!

I was pretty excited when I processed the Delta...finally something near GT noise ratios for the high speed folks. While I can't stand anything much over 1000RPMs, it's good for those that don't mind.

Anyhow, going to be quiet on the fan testing front for about a week. I do have a few more videos to process like the Papst, yates, and slipstream, but that's about it. I may have a few more in the mail somewhere, but nothing more has shown up at the door.

I'm cutting off any more 120 offers and plan to shift over to 140s after I get these last few 120s done.

Xtreme Guru
    Sweet results. Delta managed to surprise with noise/cfm being that good/apart from rest. San Ace fan 'fans' will have less to brag about

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, these VHE looks amazing !
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Xtreme Member
    Woah, those Deltas looks promising!
    Only 3-4 dBA over the GT's, not to bad!
    However you might not want to start off at GT15's highest noise/CFM level
    Good thing lower spec's are available.
    As the VHE=4000rpm you also have: HHE=3500rpm, HE=3000rpm, ME=2500rpm & LE=2000rpm
    So the Delta AFB1212HE look mighty interesting, would give roughly a range from approx 1162rpm 25CFM+ 42dBA @5v to 2922rpm 67CFM + 61dBA @12v
    That's a start on par with the GT14's highest levels, which i think the most can live with?
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/deaf12rechis.html
    But where to buy them here in europe, any1 knows?
    Last edited by nex_73; 11-24-2010 at 01:46 AM.

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme Guru
    If receiving 120mm offers weren't cut someone should send to Martin those lower speed deltas. After all, finally GT level of noise/cfm in another fan. Heck, 120mm fans been around for so long, oh why do all the other vendors have problem releasing better ones?

Xtreme Legend
    Martin, I had a feeling that you might get this result with the delta... Many thanks for all of your hard work.

The one I would now really like to compare to the delta is its brother the 3 blade 140ish cfm version...from a noise perspective my untrained ear says it is better but when we first tried to get this it was out of stock at the suppliers.

If you have a chance to get hold of a Delta EFB1212SHE I feel it might interest you......Anyone?

Like you I am curious to see how the 140's stack up against the best of the 120's....It seems a much more limited choice...will this mean less research has been done to build a good one?

EDIT: I know you said you want to close the 120 testing but if all else failed I could send one from here (it just costs about $40 for the postage) I fully agree with Churchy ...It might be worth trying to get any of the slower Deltas tested to see if we might be able to fill in the gap between the gt's and the delta tested
    Last edited by OldChap; 11-24-2010 at 01:52 AM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Ok, I'll hold it open if folks want to see some more deltas since the VHE did so well....…

I have a little left in my RatDog sponsored fan fund, just think about one maybe two that you think are good options to consider. Seems like SWC was out of stock on several, but maybe SVC or someone else has what we want to see tested?

I'd like to find one that bridges that gap a little better.

Xtreme Legend
    I will have a look, after work, to see if I can source anything....If the fund is low I will add to it rather than pay shipping

The EFB's I have here will start/run quite happily at 4v and are only marginally less good for pressure... over the next 24 hours I will test one for minimum start and run voltages. It will be just our luck to find the missing intermediate fan then for it to be out of stock everywhere.

EDIT: Do you think we should concentrate on the 38mm fans or maybe consider one of their 25mm versions.... I think I might be able to get/borrow one of those from Dave.

Those interested in the mid range test ...can we decide on 1 maybe 2 Versions to be tested here... we don't want to swamp Martin now do we
    Last edited by OldChap; 11-24-2010 at 06:26 AM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Member
    As erlier mentioned AFB1212HE & EFB HE or HHE get my vote in that case. So you at least can start the fan at reasonable noice level

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Martin thanks for all the testing you have done. All the research and testing you have done is really helping me narrow down my fan replacements.

Though I've came across these fans at performance-pcs and I am a little reluctant to purchase them because their specs seem to be to good for the price and its a name I have never heard of before.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24965

Anyone else heard of the name GELID Solutions before?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwzl View Post
    Martin thanks for all the testing you have done. All the research and testing you have done is really helping me narrow down my fan replacements.

Though I've came across these fans at performance-pcs and I am a little reluctant to purchase them because their specs seem to be to good for the price and its a name I have never heard of before.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24965

Anyone else heard of the name GELID Solutions before?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=29
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Thanks waterlogged.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I will have a look, after work, to see if I can source anything....If the fund is low I will add to it rather than pay shipping

The EFB's I have here will start/run quite happily at 4v and are only marginally less good for pressure... over the next 24 hours I will test one for minimum start and run voltages. It will be just our luck to find the missing intermediate fan then for it to be out of stock everywhere.

EDIT: Do you think we should concentrate on the 38mm fans or maybe consider one of their 25mm versions.... I think I might be able to get/borrow one of those from Dave.

Those interested in the mid range test ...can we decide on 1 maybe 2 Versions to be tested here... we don't want to swamp Martin now do we
    Quote Originally Posted by nex_73 View Post
    As erlier mentioned AFB1212HE & EFB HE or HHE get my vote in that case. So you at least can start the fan at reasonable noice level

FCPU has a few different ones in stock, I'm just clueless about revision types or Delta fans in general. I had an SHE model in my old round 2 testing and it seemed to do pretty well back then too, but that was a while back and I can't remember the details and my video/audio quality was pretty poor.

Maybe these two??

AFB-HHE 38mm?
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/81...?tl=g36c15s562

AFC-D 25mm?
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/85...l?tl=g36c15s60

OR
    Sidewinder has the better prices, but most of them are OOS there except for the AFB-HE
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/deaf12rechis.html

OR ?

If you have other suggestion. I figured maybe trying two fans, ordered from the same place, and I'm not sure if 25mm is any good or not. The only thing to catch my eye is the SHE and VHE have the same RPM but very difference CFM levels, so the blade angle must be very different. I'm leaning toward guessing maybe the HHE would have a similar VHE like pitch since it's only turning at 2900RPM.

I just don't trust my guessing anymore, I keep guessing wrong...lol!
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-24-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Oh....found a 4 pin PWM variety...that might just be the ticket??
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/85...?tl=g36c15s562

I've got a 4 pin controller now, and supposedly PWM control on these is supposed to be better. Any thoughts?

Xtreme Legend

Xtreme Member
    I can't speak for all fans, but the idea behind four pin control, is that the pulse signal is then converted into a steady voltage, so as to avoid on-off isues... but I don't fully understand it, (probably because I haven't taken the time to read the document fully)

Find the 4pin specification here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    +1 on those. Nice find! Really good price to

My stuff

Xtreme Legend
    Living this side of the pond means it is a PITA getting stuff organised so when Martin is free I will arrange the cash for him to order whichever he is prepared to test.

By the way I once owned the Delta FFB1212VHE, That one might be in the drawer still It is a totally different style of fan ...one word...noisy

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Out of town atm(DROID surfin), but I'm thinking I'll order that AFBHE rev3 from sidewinders. I'm also curious about the PWM version, but I'm not sure it has all the rev3 goodness.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast