Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Crysis 2 being re-designed for GTX580

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post
    Funny how Crysis runs so well on AMD's current offerings and seems to be a thorn in Nvidia's side. The 5870 and GTX 480 seems to be neck and neck in Crysis performance, which is almost laughable 4 years later.
    LOL you must be smoking some powerful my friend

The GTX 480 and the 5870 are definitely not neck and neck in Crysis..

Look at the minimum framerate, the GTX 480 slaughters the 5870. The difference is even more pronounced in multi GPU mode.

Point is, you get a much better gaming experience in Crysis on Fermi class GPUs. The game will be significantly smoother due to the steadier framerate.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this thread makes me lol so much
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    another kit guru fail thread
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Member
    Who cares about any Crysis games? They are boring 'tech demoes'.
    Nvidia is really scared it seems like, and they should be...
    AMD just released cheap medium spec cards, and got more faster ones comming soon. All nvidia has to show for is a boosted old design, since I bet 580 is just cherry picked 480s...

JH_man
    Old Comp:
    Antec 182
    Asus Maximus Formula (Bios 1302)
    Q6600 G0 @3.2GHz @ 1.3V (can easily go higher but NB/SB heat is a problem sadly...)
    Ultra 120-Extreme w/Nexus 12cm realsilent fan
    Corsair Dominator TWIN2X PC8500 4GB DDR2 @ stock/400MHz strap, 1:1 with cpu
    XFX Radeon 6950
    1 x WD Raptor X 150GB
    1 x WD Caviar SE 16 750GB
    Corsair HX620
    Vista Ultimate 64bit

Yes, Crysis was developed on 8800GTX's. What were the other options again? That's right, crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Strange how soon you guys forgot about Crysis. Take a look at this slide from back in the day. So it's really no surprise.
    NVIDIA Forums Administrator

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphous View Post
    Yes, Crysis was developed on 8800GTX's. What were the other options again? That's right, crap.
    LOL this is so funny yet so true, what a milestone of a card was the 8800GTX

Xtreme Addict
    The whole tessellation nonsense is ridiculous. They brag so much about it, but when i've run AvP with DX11 features enabled, i couldn't see any useful tessellation. Weapons were still having square edges, railings outside were still horrifically low poly etc etc. One would expect that tessellation would improve all this when looking at them up close, yet it doesn't. So what's the point of it? Churning polygons on stuff where polybump mapping does an equally good job and 90% of ppl can't tell the difference while everything is in motion? Lol.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    The whole tessellation nonsense is ridiculous. They brag so much about it, but when i've run AvP with DX11 features enabled, i couldn't see any useful tessellation. Weapons were still having square edges, railings outside were still horrifically low poly etc etc. One would expect that tessellation would improve all this when looking at them up close, yet it doesn't. So what's the point of it? Churning polygons on stuff where polybump mapping does an equally good job and 90% of ppl can't tell the difference while everything is in motion? Lol.
    You're not going to see the ground up implementations for a year or two. It requires fundamental art pipeline changes to make the meshes at low poly counts and let the hardware tessellate it into the proper form. All current implementations are the icing on the cake style of tessellation. The reason is that all current games already had their artists set up to make high poly count meshes in maya and max and they just use the model directly. Why would they go backwards and reduce the initial poly count to show better benefit from tessellation? The bottom line is the more ground-up the implementation is.. the more integrated into the artist pipeline and engine it is from the start, the more it will show benefits.

You will ideally see the number of polys be scaled from one low poly source mesh upwards, (based on geometry horsepower of the GPU), instead of shipping multiple LOD versions of each mesh.
    Last edited by Svnth; 11-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Then they are missing the whole point of tessellation all together. Tesselation is just an advanced form of mesh LOD. Applied to everything. The point of doing it is have incredible detail up close and still have high performance, high framerate in game scenery. So in my case, i'd get proper round railings, super detailed facial expressions, detailed weapons and still have high framerate when all these things are out of detail view, meaning that i can't really tell the difference between 500 poly and 5000 poly because of the distance i'm viewing those objects from. Mesh LOD did exactly the same thing with only difference that it was usually in 3 steps. Low poly mesh, normal mesh and high poly mesh. And they simply switched based on view distance. Most of the time you were able to see the shift, something where tessealtion has an edge with progressive change so you can't see that either.

What they are doing now is having a base high detail model and churning even more polygons on top of that. Result? Even slower perfoemance with no visual improvement because we can't tell apaprt the high poly models anyway. But they still aren't high poly enough (railings in my case) or tessellation isn't even applied to that...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Member
    is there any contest about how many thread with "GTX580" in its title you can open in the "news" section ?

can i open one guessing how much plastic there is in the GTX580 cooler compared to 6870 or GTX480 ?
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

NooB MOD
    Can't we please can KitGuru as a source?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    The thing I came away from reading this was. "when it launches (several months after March)"

lol May, June 2011?

I want the 5 mins it took me to read this thread back!
    i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
    Scythe MUGEN-2 with Push/Pull
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    3X2GB G-Skill DDR3
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    OCZ Agility 120GB
    24" Acer HDMI LCD
    Corsair TX850
    Lian-Li PC-V1000

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Then they are missing the whole point of tessellation all together. Tesselation is just an advanced form of mesh LOD. Applied to everything. The point of doing it is have incredible detail up close and still have high performance, high framerate in game scenery. So in my case, i'd get proper round railings, super detailed facial expressions, detailed weapons and still have high framerate when all these things are out of detail view, meaning that i can't really tell the difference between 500 poly and 5000 poly because of the distance i'm viewing those objects from. Mesh LOD did exactly the same thing with only difference that it was usually in 3 steps. Low poly mesh, normal mesh and high poly mesh. And they simply switched based on view distance. Most of the time you were able to see the shift, something where tessealtion has an edge with progressive change so you can't see that either.

What they are doing now is having a base high detail model and churning even more polygons on top of that. Result? Even slower perfoemance with no visual improvement because we can't tell apaprt the high poly models anyway. But they still aren't high poly enough (railings in my case) or tessellation isn't even applied to that...
    Eh no. Tessellation from a lower poly base model lets you have your cake and eat it too, because you get scalable LOD *and* way less cpu overhead of feeding each individual triangle to the hardware. Now you feed a fraction of them and let the dedicated hardware fill in the gaps. The point is you're offloading a task from a generalized cpu to a specialized processor with fixed function hardware which can do the work more efficiently. In the end without tessellation it doesn't make sense to have the higher levels of geometry because its too taxing on the cpu.

Don't forget also real geometric detail means real lighting and shadow detail with respect to the geometry... something hack methods like bumpmapping (simulating geometry) can't offer.

Xtreme Addict
    580gtx and crysis 2 will rock.
    AMD is a low budget manufucturer with horrible marketing.
    of course Nvidia will own them big time.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by flopper View Post
    AMD is a low budget manufucturer with horrible marketing.
    of course Nvidia will own them big time.
    Fanboy much? Funny how 5xxx cards of 'low budget manufucturer' owned Nvidia's offers for 6 months, huh? The irony.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Fanboy much? Funny how 5xxx cards of 'low budget manufucturer' owned Nvidia's offers for 6 months, huh? The irony.
    He was aiming for that.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I would rather guess he's being sarcastic. Flopper is quite pro-AMD, at least he has been in the past. Also, he's running a Eyefinity-setup. Also, if GTX580 is Ferim@512 CC + increased clocks, I don't see how it will stomp Cayman which should be more powerful than Cypress...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by marten_larsson View Post
    I would rather guess he's being sarcastic. Flopper is quite pro-AMD, at least he has been in the past. Also, he's running a Eyefinity-setup. Also, if GTX580 is Ferim@512 CC + increased clocks, I don't see how it will stomp Cayman which should be more powerful than Cypress...
    I can't tell.
    In any case, I think Cayman will be slightly better, at least price/perf wise.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Flopper is harping his anti jinx instrument, no worry, or perhaps taken hostage by a green bat thug somewhere, forced to write those kinda unflattering comments toward AMD. Or perhaps he tried to incite the emotion of AMD card tester so there would be more leaks coming our way.

Xtreme Addict
    KitGuru is really not reliable, that's for sure...

But it's not really like it's the first time we see this ... look LP2, HawX2, and im sure there's again some more games developped for Nvidia who will come soon...

Anyway if Crysis2 was initially developped for run a bit better with this version of the CryEngine ... i think we are back to a 25fps game with the GTX580 or 6970 lol ...
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Original CryENGINE was just a tech demo made by Crytek for Nvidia. It turned to FarCry later on. Same asslicking continued with Crysis. So expect to have not-so-great code running on your GPU.

Both Nvidia and Crytek fail big time.

Xtreme Member
    "No, you'll warrant no villain's exposition from me."

Xtreme Member
    Can I play it on the 460 SE(Super Elite)/455 FTW/460 Green edition or whatever it is?
    Comon give ket a break, when he smokes his breakfast and looks int his crystal ball and shares his dreams with us, he is almost as accurate as the psychic hotline.
    Gigagyte Z68X-UD3P
    i7 2600k@4.6/1.35v
    GSkill Rippers 2133
    MSI 7870@1275/1450
    Antec Kuhler 920

Xtreme Member
    Why a game developer would do this, i have no idea. Will this cause them to lose 2 mill in revenue? I dont know, but i know that i will not be paying for this game as i got ATI. Perhaps alot of other ATI people will also not pay for this, making the revenue for the game less. Would be fun to have a parallel universe where the developer didnt take the 2 mil, and compare the 2 end results hehe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    LOL you must be smoking some powerful my friend

The GTX 480 and the 5870 are definitely not neck and neck in Crysis..

Look at the minimum framerate, the GTX 480 slaughters the 5870. The difference is even more pronounced in multi GPU mode.

Point is, you get a much better gaming experience in Crysis on Fermi class GPUs. The game will be significantly smoother due to the steadier framerate.
    Somehow with Fermi failing in every other department, minimums are now all the rage with certain users. That's a single data point, you need graphs like HardOCP to check how badly each card is fluctuating. If the 5870 had very low minimums time and again that would drag the average down. Graphs will show the minimum as well as the overall trend in fps which is a lot more useful than a single data point. It also really depends on which review you sight, here the 5870 is ahead.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N..._Fermi/10.html

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast