Thread: apogee xt - IHS removed?

Xtreme Enthusiast

apogee xt - IHS removed?

i've been out of the game for a long time now and now im rusty with all these new blocks. got a quick question though. if i remove the IHS on an i7 1366 and removed the mounting bracket on the motherboard, will the block have enough force/pressure on the naked cpu?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by chinkgai View Post
    i've been out of the game for a long time now and now im rusty with all these new blocks. got a quick question though. if i remove the IHS on an i7 1366 and removed the mounting bracket on the motherboard, will the block have enough force/pressure on the naked cpu?
    I wouldn't do this..JMHO
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for the advice, but do you know the answer to my question?

Xtreme Addict
    Just exactly why do you want to have that much force on your CPU? The XT is a great block with very good cooling capacities. I doubt squeezing it tightly on the CPU will improve temperatures.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Mentor
    When the block first came out there were some issues with enough force. Gabe adjusted for that. If he adjusted for a bare CPU, dunno. If I was you, I'd still use the plate, and maybe have some alterernate screws ready to mount it. Your talking a lot fo force and the Mobo will bend a lot.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no no, i dont need an excess amount of force. my question was that whether or not it would work with a naked cpu at all; meaning would it make enough contact. sounds like it would and if not, i might need to buy some different screws

Xtreme Member
    Try it and find out. I doubt you will get a definitive answer, since it looks like nobody else has tried it.

Xtreme Member
    The XT's mounting system is pre-set at a certain height. There are groves cut into each of the scerws and a "C" clip is placed into the grove to give equal pressure, every time you do a mount. The only way you will get an XT to correctly mount will be to add a couple of washers (you will have to figure that one out on your own) to the tops of each spring and the "C" clip. If you really must remove the IHS, then consider a block that is eaiser to to alter the mounting hardware on. While the XT mount is really good, it is harder to alter than more traditional block mounts that use individual screws and springs.

Also, todays current AMD and Intel CPU's have really worked out the kinks involved with IHS's. The alloy used to solder/braze the IHS to the core tops has great thermal conductivity, and mechanical strength. Its much harder to remove an IHS now becuase of the mechanical strength. Also, the IHS's are consistently flatter than they used to be since the process of attaching the IHS to the core tops has really improved. Most people that have removed the IHS on 1366 chips have shown now change in temps or less than a degree. IMHO, its simply not worth the time, effort, and risk involved since there is really no net gain. But if you do pop the top, then post pics and let us know the details of your before and after work. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Addict
    I know there was an issue with Swiftech's GTZ during some testing, as (apparently) even lapping the CPU was enough to alter the spring pressure enough to affect mounting pressure. Since hte XT using the same basic mounting design, you'd have to think that removing the IHS entirely wouldn't be a good thing.

That aside, the IHS acts to spread the heat out so that there's a larger contact area between the block and CPU that's hot, and thus conducts heat. IIRC, even back with the Core 2's, removing the IHS wasn't showing the hoped improvements.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Member
    no no, i dont need an excess amount of force. my question was that whether or not it would work with a naked cpu at all; meaning would it make enough contact. sounds like it would and if not, i might need to buy some different screws
    Hi,

Running a XT also and had wondered about the effects if the spacing
    cut down to lapping would impact pressure on the CPU.

Guessing maybe .001-.003 removal as mine down to solid copper
    and mirror finish.

I over think things from time to time, But Hey
    Kind of wondering about the shim effect on pressure.
    1c difference if problem, not worth the trouble,3-5c, oh yea.

Question to EK might be worth it.

Will follow this as to pratical effects and help if any

Later
    Last edited by Irocing; 11-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    CM 690 II Advanced- #9 fans.
    ASUS P6X58D-E.
    i7-930-Lapped/ 4.51/24/7/1.41v HT On
    Corsair Dominator 1600-6gig-8-8-8-24@1820
    Cooling- ST XT- EK 240+ XSPC 240+120=600.5-355 pump
    Crucial M4 Sata III 128g Boot/ WD 640 sata III Storage.
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition 1250/1650/1.200 Stable & Sorta Cool.
    SB Titanium- 2.1 Bose
    CM 850W 82amp Single rail Modular.
    DVD Plextor/Samsung
    Lamptron FC2
    Samsung 26" 1920x1200
    Logitech G-15
    Win 7-64bit-Oem he

Xtreme 3D Team
    will the block have enough force/pressure on the naked cpu?
    More like too much.

If you go with a naked die, the mounting pressure is likely to crack it.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    More like too much.

If you go with a naked die, the mounting pressure is likely to crack it.
    Not at all. The problem with the XT is its mounting system is designed be run with the height that the IHS provides. By removing the IHS, there will be a fairly large gap. That is why he would have to alter the socket area to get the block closer to the cores. But even then, he would need to add some spacers to the mounting springs to get enough pressure for a secure mount. Thats when he could over do it and create to much pressure and crack an exposed core. Trial and error as we dont know how much is two much when it comes to pressure on 1366 cores. And working with the XT's mounting system is harder than other blocks when it comes to modding. But then again, it wasnt designed with exposed cores in mind.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Addict
    CPUs as a bare chip are flat, right? So lap it and it should make contact. It doesn't seem worth it, though... a lot of trouble for something so risky.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    lapping an exposed core is a pretty risky thing to do and would only increase the gap that much more. Other than sanding to clean off the alloy used to secure the IHS, I cant see why you would want to consider lapping the cores as the covers are very, very thin. Once they are cracked or if a small hole is made from to much sanding (which is real easy on these core tops), thats the end of the chip.

Mr Swiftech
    screw length and spring tension are adequate for LAPPED CPU IHS, not for bare silicon.

once ihs removed, block will sit on socket. no good. would need to machine step all around base to allow clearance, but block to base plate screw thread will be out of specs (M3 need 3mm thread depth). you could get away with 2.5MM at expense of somewhat weak thread, but less than that, and youre' asking for disaster.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for all the input folks. special thanks to gabe for that specific info!

my block arrives in the mail early next week. i'll ponder on whether or not im going to attempt it or not after looking at it carefully.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    CPUs as a bare chip are flat, right? So lap the block and it should make contact. It doesn't seem worth it, though... a lot of trouble for something so risky.
    I said it and it sounded like I meant lap the chip.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.